RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

daisy55

Jan 3, 2003, 5:18 AM
Post #1 of 15 (2527 views)
Shortcut

newbie with questions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi, ive never been to a rockclimbing gym before. ive always wanted to go but can never find anyone whose interested. i was wondering how is the atmosphere/environment there? are the people friendly and how is the attitude towards beginners? im thinking of just going to one alone since its been pretty hard getting my girlfriends to go with me. what do you guys think? is it ok for me to go on my own or should i kidnap one of my friends and force them to go with me?
thanks

josephine

Jan 3, 2003, 1:13 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2527 views)
Shortcut

newbie with questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah,just go!
The people there won't bite you!

Penny

bitterlotus

Jan 3, 2003, 3:33 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it's your first time, going solo is a great idea! The first time at a gym, an instructor will teach you how to tie in, commands, safety, techniques, etc. so not having a partner is no consideration at all. If it's a decent local gym, you'll find that the same people come in all the time. Ask the instructor to introduce you to some steady climbers -- you'll make new friends and won't have to bribe your old friends into getting into the sport with you. Climbers are all very friendly ppl in general, so don't worry about showing up alone!!

That said, CLIMB ON!!!

esimhs99

Jan 3, 2003, 6:40 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

where are you from? update your profile so people know, and some users might be from your area and would like to meet up with you! climbers are great people...have fun!

daisy55

Jan 3, 2003, 10:15 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for all the info! im from southern california and am thinking of either going to hanger8 (i think thats what its called)or
the one in arcadia.

granite_grrl

Jan 4, 2003, 6:55 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been moving around a lot during the last year, which means that i've climbed at a bunch of new gyms by myself. People are always friendly. I usually boulder, but if I see a group of three people wandering around I ask if I can join their party to do routes.

When I was out in Edmonton this fall I went to a women's climbing night. Very small group, and some people who went to meet other women climbers, to also find new people to climb with. I met a great women that night who was my partner till I had to leave. Moral of the story: try finding a similar group if possible and don't be afraid to go alone to a gym.

eowyn1025

Jan 6, 2003, 2:21 AM
Post #7 of 15 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gym's are great! the people there that are there to climb are some of the nicest, most willing to help people going! i've had total strangers come up and give me pointers and help on tough problems. just ignore the other morons (that will be there, gaurenteed) that are there to show off. go have fun...you'll love it.

chi_girl

Jan 18, 2003, 8:18 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just go! Even if you don't meet anyone right away, you can always boulder and traverse and practice. Eventually someone will just start talking and bam- there you go! A new friend! I've never been to a gym and not met someone new. It's amazing!

leahmeryl

Jan 21, 2003, 6:52 PM
Post #9 of 15 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to find someone to go with you can post a message in one of the regional forums. Also, a lot of gyms have lists where people looking for partners can sign up. You can try calling your gym to see if they have one. That's how I met my regular climbing partner as well as a few girls I climb with every so often.
Like someone else mentioned, gyms are an easy place to meet climbing people because (whether you want it or not) someone is always ready to offer assistance. Just trust your insticts - if you try bouldering and some guy "spots" you by putting his hands on you tush - don't hesitate to walk away and find someone else to climb with.

katydid

Jan 22, 2003, 12:13 AM
Post #10 of 15 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
Just trust your insticts - if you try bouldering and some guy "spots" you by putting his hands on you tush - don't hesitate to walk away and find someone else to climb with.

I have to take a bit of issue with this example. There are some occasions -- like when someone's trying to keep you from falling on your head -- where a strange guy putting his hands on your tush can be a completely non-sexual, safety-oriented thing.

OTOH, if it seems like he's just copping a feel, that's another issue entirely.

But generally, yes. Trust your instincts with any stranger you partner up with, male or female. Luckily climbing gyms aren't the best places in the world for guys to try sexually harrassing women, as most of the other guys around will take them to task for it.

My 3 cents CDN,

Kate

mreardon

Jan 22, 2003, 1:41 AM
Post #11 of 15 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't know where in So. Cal. you are, but Hanger8 and Rockreation are both great places to go on pretty much any evening and meet people. I would suggest taking a group class because you'll meet others that are just beginning as well. Or just go to the gym on a busy evening and meet a handful of people when you're bouldering. Don't be afraid to say you're just starting out.

Also, Stoney Point is a great place to meet people as well. Again, it's bouldering, but most people hanging around boulder one are very friendly and willing to help out whenever a new person is around.

And as already said, check around here at the rc.com site and I'm sure you'll meet plenty of folks.

leahmeryl

Jan 28, 2003, 12:25 AM
Post #12 of 15 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Katydid, I agree - sometimes a tush spot is necessary, and sometimes a hand inadvertantly ends up where it shouldn't (like a boob). At the same time, I see guys giving women tush spots much more often than I see them giving tush spots to other guys.
There are tons of great guys at the climbing walls, but there are definitely some to watch out for.

roseraie

Jan 30, 2003, 8:47 AM
Post #13 of 15 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a girl pretty new to climbing and I've found that other climbers are REALLY awesome. If you're a student, see what your school has to offer... I've been going to my university for three years and I had no clue we had a climbing gym 'til this year. This site and my school's gym have been great. Especially in the gym, talking to girl climbers (though there aren't as many) has been really helpful, they have shown me how to get moves I can't get with pull up strength alone.
Also... I've been told that a lot of guys prefer to climb with girls, so it makes it easier to find partners to show you what to do outdoors. Good luck!
Oh yeah, I'm in the San Diego area, I come up to Riverside/San Bernadino County pretty often, PM me if you want to climb.

psalmadventurer

Jan 31, 2003, 2:00 AM
Post #14 of 15 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say just go, or find someone from rc.com to go with you
jenn

aimeerose

Feb 4, 2003, 4:30 AM
Post #15 of 15 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with everyone. Go give it a try. Sometimes gyms will have classes too where you can learn to belay and learn some technique. If the atmosphere seems intimidating at first, just try to find some friendly faces. Sometimes it can seem hard to get to know people, but it's a lot easier when you're a girl. Somehow there always seems to be more male climbers.
I know our gym has a women's night when it's half price for women. You might be able to meet some cool gals if your gym has one too.
Good luck and keep at it.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook