RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

andy_lemon

Jan 22, 2003, 9:02 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Photo Critique
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I thought I would share a photo with you guys that I took yesterday. Since there is no formal photo critique on this site I figure you all can take a look at it here. Please, bash away. The pic is of Veteran's Memorial in Evansville.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/...jpg?grdbIM.AwEHOR8hN

[ This Message was edited by: andy_lemon on 2003-01-22 16:30 ]

kriso9tails

Jan 22, 2003, 11:53 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Photo Critique [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Primarily I would move the soldiers to the left to avoid the merge with the flagpole. I think that the concept's good and the executions pretty well done, but the afore mentioned problem (in my eyes) is how two of the flag poles are impaling two of the soldiers (that's not really what it looks like to me, but it does mess with the compostion. Also I might fill in the parts of the right most solgier to all black to continue the effect you have going there.

Getting all three flags out in the wind was nice. If this were a commercial or propaganda piece then the American flag would have to be completely visible and dominant, but I'm not big on commercials and propaganda (at least for aesthetic reasons) so I think it add some character.

Oh and this is a small thing, but I'd cut the viewing size down a little (perhaps to 3/4s).

Was this digital or print?

edit: In case I didn't make it clear, I like this shot... I think it's clean and simple, but has good impact and good balace both optically and sybolically.

[ This Message was edited by: kriso9tails on 2003-01-22 15:58 ]

andy_lemon

Jan 23, 2003, 12:28 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FINALLY!

I didn't think I was ever going to get this thing posted. All the photo communities I'm apart of has some kind of anit-html-linking device on my pictures. I don't know how the heck Kriso even saw the picture?

Thanks for the critique Kris. I used a Canon Powershot40, digital.

Quote:I might fill in the parts of the right most solgier to all black to continue the effect you have going

This isn't a photoshoped image Kris, I took it with my camera and did a little cropping. That is it though. I didn't fill in anything and won't unless someone wants to use it as a postcard... but a postcard for Evansville! HA!

Quote:I'd cut the viewing size down a little

This was one of the reasons I had troubles uploading the photo here. The only way I could link it back here is if I used the thumbnail or the Full Sized image.

I never noticed the composition being off until you mentioned it. I should have moved to my left and centered the soldiers in the middle of the flags.

Thanks
Andy

thomasribiere

Jan 23, 2003, 2:43 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What was the most important for you? Soldiers or flags or both?

If it was both, I would have tried to get bigger flags, shorter poles and less blue sky. How? I don't really know. Maybe by using a more important low-angle shot. So you could have got a problem of field-depth. But as the soldiers are in "contre-jour", I don't think it would have been a major problem.

andy_lemon

Jan 23, 2003, 4:36 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The most important thing for me in this pic was the "action" shot! I shot it with a shutter speed of 800. I think I caught the statues right were I wanted them! lmao

willstrickland

Jan 23, 2003, 5:07 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the concept, and the exposure is right on for what you're after. I would have moved the camera position slightly left of where you were, to eliminate the "impaling flagpole" look of the statue on the right as well as to get a little better sidelighting on the flags (it looks like they are side/back lit). Well done.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook