RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

crap

Jan 23, 2003, 8:22 PM
Post #1 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

About killfile?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How do you know you're being ignored or been killfiled?

Partner matt

Jan 23, 2003, 8:27 PM
Post #2 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

About killfile? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Simple.

You don't.

djmeat

Jan 23, 2003, 8:49 PM
Post #3 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is there anyway to find out if you have been ignore at all???

Personally I don't like the idea of being ignored. Though usually I don't go out of my way to annoy other members of the site *cough*LOX*cough*

Partner tim

Jan 23, 2003, 8:54 PM
Post #4 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, just like in real life, you'll have to determine for yourself whether someone is ignoring your (posts|PMs|phone calls) on purpose or out of absent-mindedness.

lox

Jan 23, 2003, 9:48 PM
Post #5 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

/me passes DJMeat tha blizzunt.

You sound like you need a phat toke to plug up the hole in your lung, boy...

crap

Jan 23, 2003, 11:47 PM
Post #6 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If there is no way an ignored person knows they are being ignored, then how will they ever get a clue that they need to change?

Some jerks are jerks out of an involuntary reflex that they are blind to. They could go their entire lives without ever figuring it out because everyone that tells them comes off as a jerk to them.

Anonymously displaying the number of users ignoring them could serve as a reverse Q-rating.

lynne

Jan 23, 2003, 11:56 PM
Post #7 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crap, I agree that some people may realize just how annoying they are by knowing how many people are (annonymously) ignoring them, but there are some perverse individuals who would try to increase that number by upping the asshole quotient in their posts. People who are told time and time again that some of what they post is deeply offensive don't seem to care. Flame wars erupt over this stuff all the time. Eff 'em. When someone doesn't get a response in a particular thread, their participation normally will end, whether they are killfiled or not. That's the way it works. Keeping it annoymous is the way to go.

Nothing is stopping people who want to publish their killfile lists from doing so!

orangekyak

Jan 24, 2003, 12:01 AM
Post #8 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

killfile ... waste of site resources

yeah there are annoying people

as said above, like life you can't decide who ignores you. why does it matter who you ignore? ignorant peeps usually notice after a while that nobody agrees with them.

is this the site's response to criticism about the moderators deleting stuff? if so, then someone needs to get balls and stand up to some criticism. if a mod is being a nazi, they should be dealt with too.

o.k.

Partner tim

Jan 24, 2003, 12:08 AM
Post #9 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does that mean you want to be a mod?

As far as wasting site resources, that's crap.

Memory usage is steady at about 540MB.
Load is steady at 60-80%. These are the exact same figures as yesterday (before killfiles). I know how to use indices in a database... whether you do or not is hardly my problem.

Fundamentally, you have no idea what you're talking about. If permitting discretion by users is something you find unnecessary, *PLEASE* tell me that you read your email from an unfiltered server, with full spam. *THEN* I can MAYBE believe you.

crap

Jan 24, 2003, 12:09 AM
Post #10 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How would we know about these perverse users if they are all being ignored by the majority of the users already?

Moderators would ban the worst of the perverse users any way.

I'm sensing a new argument you might want to use:
It should be the goal of all users of this site to include as many people as possible and limit the ignoring to a minimum.

Partner tim

Jan 24, 2003, 12:23 AM
Post #11 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That would be nice, however, it assumes a more-or-less uniform standard for what's "OKAY" amongst the users.

That simply isn't the case.

I'm not doing anything to stop users from PM'ing or posting "hey dude, you're acting like a real asshole, so, like, *PLONK*". But my impression is that some users of the site get off on trolling, and are unlikely to change unless there is a deafening silence around them. So be it.

There is a trade-off here -- if you ignore someone, you miss out on any valuable information they submit, not just the drivel. But I think people are cognizant of this.

I'd rather have people use a mechanism for discreetly ignoring each other, than listen to a bunch of knuckleheads babbling about the mods 'not doing their job'. In an ideal situation, there wouldn't be any job for the mods to do. Unfortunately, that's not the situation on the board. And none of the mods get paid a dime to do their 'jobs', so try not to get too worked up when you get what you pay for...

I just don't think it's right to humiliate people for disagreeing with each other. There is a lack of social cues on the board, unlike in real life -- users don't just walk away (well, not much). That seems like the underlying reason for people wanting a bozo filter -- some folks just won't take a hint.

The reactions that people have submitted are so overwhelmingly positive regarding killfiles, and so overwhelmingly negative regarding killfile stats in public, that it would take something close to a miracle for things to revert to how they were before.

crap

Jan 24, 2003, 2:54 AM
Post #12 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not interested in reverting anything. My opinion on this site is not valued. As one moderator said, we are all a bunch of children.

crap

Jan 24, 2003, 3:01 AM
Post #13 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back to the discussion.

If information is held back during a conversation because a user chooses to edit out other users input, then the discussion is restrained because all the users involved are not being heard. It’s an unequal playing field that might burn us all in the long run.

orangekyak

Jan 24, 2003, 4:58 AM
Post #14 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
Does that mean you want to be a mod?

ask jared, he hasn't returned my pm about being an area manager ... maybe he killfiled me.

Quote:
As far as wasting site resources, that's crap. I know how to use indices in a database... whether you do or not is hardly my problem.

OK, but aren't you a site resource? it's wasting your time right now ... sorry I pretended I knew what I was talking about. Maybe if I took that ultra interesting "indices in a database" course in college I'd know what you're talking about.

Quote: Fundamentally, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I just said that. Duh.

Quote:
If permitting discretion by users is something you find unnecessary, *PLEASE* tell me that you read your email from an unfiltered server, with full spam. *THEN* I can MAYBE believe you.

I'm afraid I can't tell you that. I do, however, know what discretion is. One could use discretion to avoid a website that has annoying users. One could use discretion while reading said site to not read something by a particular annoying reader.

Nobody is being forced to read anything. True, I don't really know what I'm saying if I'm talking about site resources. But I do know about group dynamics and community building. I know that people with either live up to expectations or sink to the lowest common denominator. So let's set some expectations - that our users are smart enough to not be annoying, that our readers are smart enough to not let others' lack of discretion annoy them, and that our mods will be prudent enough keep it relevant while letting it be fun.

Last note - how many times have you wanted to ignore someone, just to find something thoughtful written by them somewhere else? It happens. Let's make the atmosphere one of high expectations.

jeremy

Partner tim

Jan 24, 2003, 5:13 AM
Post #15 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

O.Kyak -- I guess I agree with you. And as far as contacting Jared about being an area manager, you could also contact me or Adam if you're not getting a response from him. I think he's getting pretty well crushed under end-of-year accounting stuff at work.

As far as an atmosphere of high expectations, I'd love to see that. And realistically, no one can force you to killfile anyone -- I expect that most users won't ever want to. It's just there in case someone can't stand to look at a particular person's writing. Mute the TV instead of throwing it out, turn the page from the car wreck photos, etc.

As far as me being a site resource, that's true, but probably not the way you're thinking. I work on things that I consider interesting and/or pressing, because I don't get paid anything to do this. I have a fulltime job, I try and get out to climb every weekend and go to the gym during the week; basically, I do things that I see as being likely to improve the site. I don't make any money off of the site, or get paid to work on it. I just do it cause I like to.

Crap -- it's not that I don't value your opinion. One of the reasons the moderators get exasperated is that on the one hand, we've got some pretty heavy-duty trolls who don't quite cross the line into abuse. Then on the other hand there are some sensitive types that get outraged at the drop of a hat. In the end, I didn't see anything getting better unless some mechanism for shielding sensitive types from the gruesome reality of the Internet was put into place; there's just too damn many users nowadays.

Besides, like I told OK, if you don't want to use the killfile, don't. If you don't want to be killfiled, let people know what you're thinking with a bit of tact, and make the extra effort to communicate properly. If they still want to ignore you, that's their loss.

soulclimberchick

Jan 24, 2003, 5:24 AM
Post #16 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, here's my 2 cents....simple but true...it's like people you meet,....if they ignore you , they are'nt worth your attention, unless you really make them mad...then maybe you dont deserve your attention...lol (just an idea) tootles!

~*Kira*~

orangekyak

Jan 24, 2003, 2:26 PM
Post #17 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as me being a site resource, that's true, but probably not the way you're thinking.

I know, I was reaching a little there.

killfile, whatever. let's work on the gear section. http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=24360&forum=40
o.k.

Partner tim

Jan 24, 2003, 10:43 PM
Post #18 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^ that's exactly what I was hoping people would realize. If everything works out well, you ought never to need a killfile at all.

If it turns out you just can't get over your differences with a person, using a killfile is a lot more socially acceptable than flaming them to a crisp. (though I suppose a really, really artful flame is also a thing of beauty)

I'm impressed by how quick people catch on.

Partner sauron

Jan 24, 2003, 10:57 PM
Post #19 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
Daisy bows... thank you, thank you.... everyone can send the donations to me via www.i_am_jesus_ of_the beckoning_breeze.com

Except for the one teeny bitty techicality, that underscores ( _ ) are not allowed in DNS names, which causes problems with your aforementioned website..

I'm being facetatious.

- d.

Partner tim

Jan 24, 2003, 11:01 PM
Post #20 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

speaking of DNS...

http://www.computerworld.com.au/idg2.nsf/All/2ADD84E6EBCEADE9CA256CB30075FA01!OpenDocument

the entire .org TLD now runs on PostgreSQL.

w00t!

Partner tim

Jan 24, 2003, 11:07 PM
Post #21 of 21 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geek speak.

Move along now, nothing to see here...

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook