Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bouldering Guidebook for Joshua Tree?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

lynne

Jan 23, 2003, 9:33 PM
Post #1 of 14 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering Guidebook for Joshua Tree?  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park: _Joshua_Tree_National_Park_Overview_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there a bouldering guidebook for Joshua Tree? I prefer something printed over a url, but will appreciate either.

mreardon

Jan 23, 2003, 9:40 PM
Post #2 of 14 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering Guidebook for Joshua Tree? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mari Gingery wrote a good one that describes a bunch of great problems and uses both the V system and the B system for grades. Keep in mind however that there is nothing too comprehensive regarding the bouldering of Joshua Tree because there are so many problems and variations. Another source for a minimal amount of problems would be drtopo.com.

lynne

Jan 23, 2003, 11:50 PM
Post #3 of 14 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you, Michael! That's exactly what I was looking for.

josher

Jan 24, 2003, 12:04 AM
Post #4 of 14 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.drtopo.com/califo/joshuatree.pdf

offwidth

Jan 24, 2003, 2:36 AM
Post #5 of 14 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Vogel guidebook has bouldering too, if you want other climbing too. But I do like Gingery's book.

greyghost

Jan 24, 2003, 3:35 AM
Post #6 of 14 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nomads, the shop outside of the park sells some guides. They have a kind of best of that has a nice cover and what not. I can not remember the author and I am to lazy to look it may be the one mentioned above though. They also sell guides that are broke down by different areas which are nice but do not have the durable cover like the other one.

matt

don't stop the scream

lynne

Jan 24, 2003, 1:08 PM
Post #7 of 14 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmmmm, the Vogel guide has only 2 boulder problems listed that I could find. Am I missing something? I also have the Barlett guide for Indian Cove and there are no boulder problems listed, however this is an older version. Do the more current Bartlett guides have boulder problems listed? I prefer Bartlett over Vogel for roped routes at any rate.

Thanks for all the input, guys. At the very least I'm going to pick up the Gingery guide. If I'm just not finding info that is in fact in the Vogel guide, someone please let me know. (I have the big one as well as the Classics version.) I'll check out supertopo, too, but I have a thing for books like some girls have a thing for jewelry!

Edit: I mean drtopo!

[ This Message was edited by: lynne on 2003-01-24 05:11 ]

kronik

Jan 24, 2003, 3:06 PM
Post #8 of 14 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A comprehencive guide should be coming out in a month or so, listing around 1050 probs.

josher

Jan 24, 2003, 3:24 PM
Post #9 of 14 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can only speak for Vogel's '92 guide, which has hundereds of problems listed throughout each area of the park.

Gingerie (sp) guide is ok because its newer and more populated, but the topos suck.

I keep hearing of a new new one coming out...still waiting

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 24, 2003, 3:46 PM
Post #10 of 14 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the SoCal Bouldering Guide and Vogul's Book for JTree bouldering.

lynne

Jan 24, 2003, 3:52 PM
Post #11 of 14 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I must have been half asleep last night when I was looking in the Vogel guide (I have the '92 edition) - I could only find 2 problems. I'll have to look more closely. I don't recall seeing them in the 'routes by rating' section, though.

Does anyone else think Vogel's guide leaves a lot to be desired? I would love to see Bartlett's guides collected into a book!

lynne

Jan 24, 2003, 3:53 PM
Post #12 of 14 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also want to say that I can't wait to get back to Joshua Tree! WHOOPEE!!! Less than a month to go..

mreardon

Jan 25, 2003, 1:33 AM
Post #13 of 14 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm heading out there in two weeks for a couple weekends in a row, let me know when you go and I can give you a quick tour!

In the meantime, Mari's is the best bouldering guide of the area. Vogel's guide doesn't list boulder problems per se, but they tend to be mixed in with the rest of the routes (check "JBMFP" "Stem Gem" "Gunsmoke" "Planet X" and around "Cap Rock" and "Ryan's Campground") but there are still only a few of the classics listed. And yes, Bartlet's guides are better for route finding, but the reason they aren't together in one book is because he consistently updates the individual volumes, and there are now more than 6,000 routes in the park (talk about a big book!).

Craig Fry's "So Cal Bouldering Guide" is another guide which is supposedly getting an upgrade, but we'll see. Sure there's going to be a new guidebook, uh-huh. Hey, I have this bridge you may want to purchase....

As for the comment about Mari's topos, they aren't that difficult to figure out for the main classics she wrote in there (again, there's at least a thousand problems, and not that many people buying bouldering guides). Sounds like the same kind of guy who needs to create chalk circles and arrows - John Madden style - around each of the holds on the boulder problems because it's too tough to remember three holds in a row....

lynne

Jan 26, 2003, 1:51 AM
Post #14 of 14 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Michael, thank you for your offer - how very cool of you!! I will contact you via email, if that's okay. Thanks for the other info, too. I dug a little deeper and found the problems listed in the Vogel guide. Given that I'm not a boulderer and that we'll just be squeezing in some bouldering at the end of each day, Vogel's info combined with the drtopo guide is perfect. Thanks to everyone for your help!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook