RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

atg200

Nov 27, 2001, 4:40 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Rope Soloing Desert Towers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Howdy,

Anybody have recommendations for desert towers(preferably near Moab) that have possible bomber anchors at ground level?

I want to do some rope soloing since I can't find a steady partner for the desert, but so many towers don't have decent anchors for the first pitch(for instance the Colorado NE Ridge of the Kingfisher is just dirt and bad bolts off the deck-no good). Also no hard or sustained free climbing.

Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

1. The Hindu, Onion Creek - Maverick 5.9 A2. You can work out a belay with some big cams and lots of stoppers since the base rock is excellent. The free is short and you can yard on gear if you need to.

2. Tower of Babel, Arches - Zenyatta Entrada 5.4 A2+. There is a giant block you could sling with a static line at the base.

Thanks,
Andrew

benjo

Nov 27, 2001, 5:21 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Rope Soloing Desert Towers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Zenyatta Entrada on the Tower of Babel is a really good route to solo. Especially because of the short approach.
The first pitch of the Colorado NE ridge is a bolt ladder. Just make your anchor the bolt ladder by using the bottom bolt as your first anchor and then tying off the next however many bolts you want to with clove hitches. That route is a good solo. Straight up, fun aid and two fun 5.8 pitches.
Other routes I can think of- Brer Rabbit has a good crack for an anchor about 5 feet off the ground. The Sundevil Chimney has a good anchor off the ground, and is an awesome route. I'll try to think of some more and write later.

crackwhore

Nov 27, 2001, 7:43 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

are you just interested in aid routes?

i have rope soloed most of the routes in the castleton group, jah man ,and the bridger jack group. most of these have acceptable anchors. sometimes you may have to climb a bit to get good gear but so far it hasn't been a problem.

atg200

Nov 27, 2001, 8:09 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,

Yeah, just looking for aid routes. 5.9 is not easy for me, and i don't like rope soloing at my limit. Preferably free no harder than 5.8

andrew

addiroids

Nov 28, 2001, 4:51 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"2. Tower of Babel, Arches - Zenyatta Entrada 5.4 A2+."

5.4 A-whatever. Now that's my kind of aid route!! Any FA I put up on aid will have no free climbing over 3rd class.

Addiroids

"You know you are a shitty climber when...You put up a new route and rate it 5.2 A0."

theooze

Nov 28, 2001, 3:18 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, man, that's me you're talking about. Well, ok, I am a shitty climber. And I'm all over the 5.4 A whatevers too. with easy approaches.

atg200

Nov 28, 2001, 5:57 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heavy Duty put up a 5.3d A3+ in the Mystery Towers - get on it. Of course, you should meet him first and then you will have a better understanding of the rating...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook