Integrating the boys club
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

madflash

Jan 28, 2003, 12:38 AM
Post #1 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Integrating the boys club  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Hawksbill: Lower_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, So I have been climbing in Arkansas for...wow...over 4 years now. In all that time I think I have met a total of 3 girls that actually climb. Sure I have seen more girls than that out cragging, but they are only there because their boyfriends told them it was more fun than sex. And by their expressions they wouldn't agree. I guess what I am trying to get at is... where are all of the ladies that love to pull down hard, that don't mind scraped up knees, broken nails, bloody fingers, sweat, dirt. For the love of god, where are they?

rockinitinark

Jan 28, 2003, 12:42 AM
Post #2 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Integrating the boys club [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

not in arkansas

totigers

Jan 28, 2003, 12:43 AM
Post #3 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Too few and far between.

phugganut

Jan 28, 2003, 12:54 AM
Post #4 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish I knew where they are!!! I'd love to find me a hard pulling, chipped nail having, dirty, sweaty climber girl. However, I think that they are all taken already!
-Mike

[ This Message was edited by: phugganut on 2003-01-27 17:17 ]

gakin

Jan 28, 2003, 12:58 AM
Post #5 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess that maybe I'm just lucky. I have about 6 people that I really climb with, and 4 of them are woman....lucky me!!!!! Of course, it doesn't hurt that I am married to one of them either.

Partner coldclimb

Jan 28, 2003, 1:26 AM
Post #6 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see tons of girls at the gyms here. About equal numbers as the guys, usually. I don't know if they're sticking with the gyms all summer, or if they actually climb outdoors too, but they're there in the winter, and climbing better than me sometimes.

neeshman

Jan 28, 2003, 1:35 AM
Post #7 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not sure, I have been climbing for about a year and only 2 of the 25 girls that we have taken have stuck with it.

crazyfingers

Jan 28, 2003, 1:39 AM
Post #8 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife climbs and digs it, sorry we live in CA. If your ever in the CA, Bayarea look us up.

calpolyclimber

Jan 28, 2003, 1:52 AM
Post #9 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Careful, someone could be after your wife after hearing that Just kidding.

Partner missedyno

Jan 28, 2003, 1:58 AM
Post #10 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh gee sorry, i'm taken.

krustyklimber

Jan 28, 2003, 2:01 AM
Post #11 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just like the South... alway three decades behind.

Women have been involved heavily in the West for about twenty years the way I remember it.

You only have to wait about ten more years and it'll catch on even in Georgia!?!

Jeff

cedk

Jan 28, 2003, 7:36 PM
Post #12 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Madflash: The odds are against you finding a girl who already climbs. You've got to find a girl somewhere else and "turn her out" by showing her how cool climbing is. Then send me a PM and tell me how you did it because I'd like to know.

Gakin: stop messing up the ratio dude. You've got 3 extras and Avery Drive is littered with guys who don't have anything.

boogirl

Jan 28, 2003, 7:52 PM
Post #13 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys - we do exhist! You know, females whose hands aren't adorned by acrylic extensions, girls with hair frosted by the sun rather than chemicals out of a box, and ladies bearing scars after leaving a couple of layers of skin on rock or having their thigh fileted opened on a lead fall. Don't get me wrong - I love to play like the guys but I also enjoy the candle lit bath and having the door opened for me by a gentleman. Climbing/bouldering is a big part of my life but the biggest problem I've encountered is that any time I get out to climb with a guy - there's always a girlfriend/wife who gets threatened then tightens the noose around his neck. (To those ladies, my advice is - if you can't trust him - dump him! - To the guys who can't keep their mind on the rock and off my a** - dump her!) I enjoy the social aspect of climbing but it is not a dating service. In a predominantly male sport, it's a never ending search for a non-pw'd, dependable climbing partner.

[ This Message was edited by: boogirl on 2003-01-29 09:31 ]

climbingbetty22

Jan 28, 2003, 8:08 PM
Post #14 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dependable climbing partners is right! That's all I want, girl or guy.
But as for where the cool chicks are who are pullin' down, well, I'm in Maryland!(BTW, single as they come too! No boyfriends to get inthe way of my climbing!!!)

gekko

Jan 28, 2003, 8:18 PM
Post #15 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I had my nails done for my sisters wedding (aka milk-white-indoor-girl) but such horrid things are easily lost with excessive crimping and the bloody nubs have returned.

I've been to Arkansas twice in the last year or so (Sam's Thone area, Cave Creek, Horseshoe Canyon Ranch) and wanted to say you have some really sweet rock out there!

maybe there just aren't any local ladies who realize what they are missing.

mwbtle

Jan 28, 2003, 8:42 PM
Post #16 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I'm one, but I'm taken.

If you are trying to turn a girl on to climbing though, your best bet is to find one who plays a rough and tumble or outdoorsy sport already and loves it. If you can find one who wears her scars with pride, you prolly have found yourself a potential climber chick.

millie4690

Jan 28, 2003, 8:53 PM
Post #17 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi there. i'm a single climber girl in michigan.
i too get quite annoyed at the ladies and gentlemen that come in to climb with the gobs of makeup on and hair gell and then freak out when they start to melt. it's the same thing when lifting, too.
i've given up all hope of feeling nice, soft things with anything other than my face. i know i'll never be able to bear my legs without having to explaing all the bruises and scabs on my knees, as well as my elbows and knuckles.
but, that's ok. it's fun to play with the boys and see the astonished looks as they realize that i am a woman, and i am strong.
climb on ladies!

climbinggirl33

Jan 28, 2003, 9:02 PM
Post #18 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Call me crazy - but don't ya'll think there is a weird couple dynamic that appears when you start climbing with a guy (or girl) that you are seeing?

Climbing and my climbing friends are a sanctuary for me . . . I am really hesitant to !@&#* that up dating someone I climb with (been there done that). Of course that's easy to say because most of the guys I climb with are attached in one way or another. Maybe I am just bitter

I'd love to meet a guy who climbs AS LONG as he has his own group to climb with too. No attachment at the hip for this girl.

madflash

Jan 28, 2003, 11:36 PM
Post #19 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well ladies, if you are ever in arkansas and looking for a climbing partner/love slave, send me a message. I am always looking for interesting climbing partners. Otherwise keep pulling hard and remember that many of us (the male sex) with our raging harmones and pathetic pickup lines think hard-crankin, bruised and scabby girls are the only way to fly.

gakin

Jan 28, 2003, 11:48 PM
Post #20 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cedk I never tried to mess up the ration...I'm just lucky I guess. Whenever we are out at Chandler, all they guys seem to run away from the girls, which I could NEVER understand. They better hurry up too, only one is left available!!

phugganut

Jan 29, 2003, 12:19 AM
Post #21 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"...To the guys who can't keep their mind on the rock and off my a**..."

boogirl,
We men can do both at the same time! It's like walking & chewing gum for us...

moabbeth

Jan 29, 2003, 12:54 AM
Post #22 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They're here in California. I see lots of girls out at the crags pulling as hard as the boys. Hell, I went up to the Cemetery this past weekend and the group was 60-40 pct male/female and one of the girls was a better 5.10 leader than most of the boys (go Michiko wherever you are! you made us proud). I imagine in time more people will find climbing in your area.

As for the boyfriends telling their girlfriends climbing is more fun than sex, I was on the floor laughing at that!! I've tried that same approach with some non-climbing boyfriends. Didn't work. They liked sex better and climbing scared the piss out of them. But that's why I decided to only date climbers now haha! They think sex and climbing are equally fun.

bekkybadass

Jan 29, 2003, 1:44 AM
Post #23 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, first off I gotta tell ya...I'm a girl and I love this sport!!! I have been outdoorsy my entire life and finally I have found the best way to express it!! Anyway, I have had a hard time finding girls that like to climb too...I have ended up teaching them...doing girls only crag days..our other partners are usually working..so they dont care too much.... but it's true...not too many girl only teams. And I'm new...so I haven't gotten involved with a climber yet....seems most of them have a geisha at home...hmmmmm?

andy_lemon

Jan 29, 2003, 1:50 AM
Post #24 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The midwest and some on the east coast! All the chicks out west get enough of the mountains and rocks without actually having to touch them. The girls in the midwest and east coast have never seen rocks so they take up climbing!

talons05

Jan 29, 2003, 1:55 PM
Post #25 of 34 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A lot of the girls that I know who climb are a little turned off when, every time they go to the gym or crag there are 5.54621351 million guys trying to pick them up. My friends just want to climb, it's not a dating service. When enough of the guys realize this, and start looking for girls to climb with, not girls to hook up with (who happen to climb) then maybe mas chicas will enjoy climbing without the social b.s.

A.W.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook