RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

timpanogos

Jan 29, 2003, 12:51 AM
Post #1 of 3 (931 views)
Shortcut

Nut Cleaning
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, please give up all your cleaning tips. For example:

1. What do you use for a hammer to give your nut tool a tap with (on clean aid)?
2. What about those micros that are as small or smaller than the width of your nut tool?
3. What about those deep reaching desert crack nuts – do you carry something longer/narrower than a normal nut tool?
4. If solo cleaning, do you leave your main rack at the anchor and carry a cleaning sling?

And a bit off the cleaning path – what is too small for a sandstone aid nut – body weight only?

I had a #3 HB Bronze that looked like a good placement – in that it had a full 100% contact of the top 2/3rds of the nut – both sides. Long story, but I could only waist/daisy bounce test it – felt/looked good – but as soon as I hopped on it, it popped.

Just a bad placement or is this just too small for the sandstone friction constant?

Thanks

Chad

sprocket

Jan 29, 2003, 1:09 AM
Post #2 of 3 (931 views)
Shortcut

Nut Cleaning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I aid, I use a biner to hammer the nutool.When I'm free I make sure to assess
the situation good before risking fixing a piece.A headlamp can help this.I have made tools to fix and fish nuts on cirtain routes.Coat hangers and shelving brackets.

mountainmonkey

Jan 29, 2003, 5:25 PM
Post #3 of 3 (931 views)
Shortcut

Nut Cleaning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"1. What do you use for a hammer to give your nut tool a tap with (on clean aid)?"
- a big wall hammer - if you don't want to carry one you can use a designated biner or a hex

"2. What about those micros that are as small or smaller than the width of your nut tool?"
- you have to be careful not to ruin the wire by placing and tapping the nut tool where it won't damage the wire

"3. What about those deep reaching desert crack nuts – do you carry something longer/narrower than a normal nut tool?"
- try not to place the nut too deep. if you need it bomber, place it deep - otherwise place it shallow and think of it as a body weight piece.

"And a bit off the cleaning path – what is too small for a sandstone aid nut – body weight only?"
- the smallest I have seen (on C1+) is a #3BD steel nut but usually you can get by with larger pieces. the smallest offsets might not be very useful in soft sandstone. most of the placements I have seen have been worn away to accept a standard stopper or rock. [note: granite is different]

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook