RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Used Gear / Great Deals

Premier Sponsor:

therealbovine

Jan 13, 2003, 7:44 PM
Post #1 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Slacklines For Sale
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I make slacklines. Check out my site ethosclimbing.com

Rigs from $45 - $75

Contact me at ;
info@ethosclimbing.com

I started out selling these out of the back of my truck while traveling the country and climbing. Just trying to get the good word out to my fellow climbers!

Partner one900johnnyk

Jan 14, 2003, 4:10 AM
Post #2 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Slacklines For Sale [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

damn, that's awesome. did you post in the slacklining forum as well??? i don't know how to do it nor do i have the space to put one up but i wish you luck and that sounds like a pretty good price for the gear and time it would save alone. good luck again, man, that's awesome

Partner phaedrus

Jan 18, 2003, 10:23 PM
Post #3 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I definitely encourage people who are interested in slacklining to buy from Ethos Climbing. I have never done it, but have an interest in doing so, so I'm going to buy a rig from Ethos next payday. $75 is a decent chunk of change, but it looks like a lot of fun and if it helps me with my climbing at all....

But more importantly, Ethos is one of the sponsors of my clmbing team and has graciously donated a rig to the climbing team I coach. They're definitely giving to the climbing community and to the kids I work with, so they definitely deserve the business!

xanx

Jan 18, 2003, 11:29 PM
Post #4 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

um, not to cause any harm to ur buisness, but, everyone i know just uses one inch tubular nylon webbing tied around trees or bolt hangers or whatever.

a lot cheaper than $75

mike

Partner coldclimb

Jan 18, 2003, 11:43 PM
Post #5 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xanx, all the gear included in my setup costs well over 200 dollars. This is mostly because I use my climbing gear, and the stuff isn't designed to be cheap. My tightening system is the most expensive part, as it uses my two ascenders, as well as a few biners and two pieces of extra rope. Works better than any other ones I've seen though.

Originally, I wrapped my line around a tree, but when I saw what the bark did to the line, and how much trouble it was to set up or tighten, I stopped and thought, and found that a bit of thinking goes a long way in making an easy slackline.

[ This Message was edited by: coldclimb on 2003-01-18 15:45 ]

xanx

Jan 19, 2003, 12:06 AM
Post #6 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm, well, let me see now... how can the TIGHTENING system be the most expensive part of a SLACKling? perhaps it could be the most expensive part of a TIGHT ROPE... but a slackline is basically 1 inch webbing slung SLACK between two points.

although i contend that some people prefer tight lines (which i think are far easier to walk on....) - for these a more complex setup would undoubtedly be needed.

i know someone with a tight line strung between 2 trees in front of their house (about 20-30 feet long) made of webbing - i think he said he used his car to tighten it, but i'm not exactly sure how. man if u fall off that thing it snaps up so hard... i can only shudder when i think of the consequences (for a male) of falling with one leg on each side

mike

bigdrop

Jan 19, 2003, 12:07 AM
Post #7 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am very interested in learning to mess around on a slack line so naturally your product intrigues me.

I have no problem with investing in an innovative product but I try to be sensible about my spending. What would your product provide that I couldn’t achieve with my own retired gear? I find it hard to justify spending $75US on something that can be made with relative ease for a very small fraction (est. around $30CND) of that (or even better free with retired gear). I tried searching on your website for more product detail but was unable to find anything other then some photos (I will admit they do look very nice). Is there more to your product then meets the eye?

~JC

runningrock

Jan 19, 2003, 12:20 AM
Post #8 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check this site out for anyone wanting to get into slacklining. Can't imagine spending 45-75 bucks for a set-up! CRAZY!!!!!http://cake.xmission.com/slackline/

w6jxm

Jan 21, 2003, 1:37 AM
Post #9 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, just get like 60 feet of webbing, then cut part of it for slings for the anchors, use some ovals and an old climbing rope with a grigri (or ascender if you happen to have one) an you have yourself a slackline you could bounce a quarter off of. $15-20 max.

runningrock

Jan 21, 2003, 6:55 PM
Post #10 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, you better be sure that if you use rope its static rope. Can you imagine the surprise you would get when you fall with one foot on each side. SNAP!!!!!

krustyklimber

Jan 21, 2003, 7:30 PM
Post #11 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sean,

I have to agree the price seems quite steep...

And where's the redundancy in your system? That Ancra style buckle, in one inch, is not strong enough for me. Is your line a single strand? What backs you up in case of a failure? What material is your webbing, poly or nylon?
How 'bout a little bit of a product description on your website, which took about eight minutes to load on my dial-up service.

Best of luck to you, I hope nobody gets hurt and sues your butt off.

Jeff

therealbovine

Jan 23, 2003, 4:37 PM
Post #12 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

O.K. I've heard this all before, I''m sure I will hear it for years. I totally understand not wanting to spend the bucks. I've tied my own lines for years and it works just fine. The justification of a pre-sewn line is the same as the justification of a pre-sewn harnes. Do you still tie on your climbing harness?Do you still tie aiders, short quickdraws, daisy's, and bouldering pads? Most people don't.

My lines are sewn, just like your other climbing gear, and are strong. They are NOT designed to be used as a highline!!!!

Why sewn over tied?

My lines are always FLAT. Knots cause a twist, bend, or roll in the line, Sewn lines (at least mine) keep the line FLAT!

Sewn lines are stringer than tied lines. Knots create a week point in a slackline.

My lines are EASY to use. The tensioning system is EASY, SIMPLE, and EFFECTIVE! No more hassle of rigging something on your own, or getting frustrated experimenting.

My lines are FULLY ADJUSTABLE with a simple double back buckle system. No KNOTS to get welded!

Easy take-down and set-up. As fast as two minuts!

The system also has adjutable anchor slings, so it fits around any size anchor

To answer Jeff's question, The ancra buckle does NOT hold any weight of the line. It is simply a sliding buckle used on the pull loop for tensioning the rig. This makes it easy to stay close to your anchor, ie: tree, so you can put a foot on the tree to help yard your line tight. The material used is the same 1" tubular you use for climbing. The buckles used that ARE weighted in the line, are stronger than the webbing and are the same as the double-back style buckles used on most climbing harness' out there. Yes there is a back-up to the system. The rig , as stated above, is designed for use around camp or in the park, NOT to be used as a highline, ever! If you go to ethosclimbing.com, products, slacklines, instructions, you will get a better idea of the rig and how it workd. Sorry about the lack of info on the site, I'm working on it!

You can get a rig that has everything included, or a basic rig where you need to provide (3) biners and your own anchor slings.

I'm not trying to say you can't tie a good line, because you can. Make you own if you want. I have no problem you YOU being innovative and figuring it out on your own. I am just here to HELP and make it EASIER for all of the climbers and slackliners out there. Enjoy! Have fun! Shoot me any questions you have! I'm interested in helping in any way I can!

Thanks
Sean

p.s. Climbers typically don't have much $$. I know the $ seems like alot. I am trying hard to keep the price down. Its not the $ I care about, its YOU, the climbers and slackliners. If I didn't work 60+ hours a week and live pay check to pay check, I'd be giving slacklines away!

[ This Message was edited by: therealbovine on 2003-01-23 09:03 ]

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 23, 2003, 4:43 PM
Post #13 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you make a nice product, but I use 1" tubular webbing and two biners to gain a 3:1 advantage, finishing with a mule knot.

My line is tight, lies flat, goes up in about 2 minutes, and cost about $15-$20.

therealbovine

Jan 23, 2003, 5:12 PM
Post #14 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adam,

I'm psyched for you! From the pics I've seen of your line, I'd say it looks pretty good!

Would'nt it be nice not to have to get those welded knots untied?

Are you girth hitched to the tree on the fixed end of your line? if so, there is no way you line lies perfectly flat. If your line has a knot in it, or is running through a biner at that anchor, you have a bend in the line. Fact. I've set that same rig up a hundred times. I'm not trying to knock your rig! I just had high hopes my fellow climbers/slackliners would be a little more open minded to the product I have worked so hard to provide.

Hope to walk the line with you someday!

p.s.How the heck do I upload photos onto your thread in the slacklining forum? I can't figure it out? Thanks

therealbovine

therealbovine

Feb 5, 2003, 5:22 PM
Post #15 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just an FYI to any of you climbing at Hueco Tanks. If you want to check out one of my slackline rigs....cause the proof is in the pudding.....head over to the Rock Ranch and jump on the main rig . Its what I call the standard. Pretty sweet. Let me know if you get on it and tell me what you think!

greyghost

Feb 6, 2003, 5:16 AM
Post #16 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been on the line at the Rock Ranch. It was a good line, but I would still not buy your product. I think your effort might be best used coming up with a new product. Good luck though.

matt

Don't stop the scream

therealbovine

Feb 21, 2003, 10:38 PM
Post #17 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to hear you liked the line. Buy one or not...no matter....just keep on slackin'!

elcapbuzz

Feb 21, 2003, 11:06 PM
Post #18 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

These lines are great [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an Etho's line.

They are well made and I think they are worth the extra cash to avoid knots..... plus they are stronger.

I usually get about six months out of my old one, before it snaps at the knot. I don't have to worry about that now that it's sewn.

Cheers, Ammon

Partner phaedrus

Mar 4, 2003, 3:30 PM
Post #19 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Got my slackline in today!! Now if the damn weather would cooperate, I'd actually get to use it. :p

My arse is already aching from the anticipated falls. :lol:

Details to come as soon as I get to use it... looks like 50s this weekend, so I'll definitely be using it then!

Partner phaedrus

Mar 9, 2003, 3:14 AM
Post #20 of 20 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Got my Ethos slackline in this past week and set it up today. I like it a LOT. VERY easy and quick set up and take down. Very worth the $75 I spent on it to have everything I needed right there.

And I'm proud to say my arse didn't end up as black and blue as I thought! :D Some of the kids from my climbing team were with me, and they had a great time, too, in spite of the fact that, except for the one girl that was with us, I got furthest on the line before falling. The "old guy" FINALLY pulls one out on them! :lol:

Definitely worth the investment- ease of setup and take down, very high quality materials... good good stuff, YUP!

Another plus if you, like me, have a limited time off during your work day, but have a couple of trees that are perfect for the line. I took mine outside during my planning period (about 65 minutes) and got it set up, walked the line with my student teacher and my student assistant several times, and got it taken down and was back inside in plenty of time for my next class. Took about 10 minutes to set up, 5 to take it down, so we got lots of time on the line; a pretty sweet way to break up my work day. 8)

(edited to add the stuff about my planning period)

Forums : Archive : Used Gear / Great Deals

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook