Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbingthecorn

Feb 6, 2003, 9:52 PM
Post #26 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Others objecting to your climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I once heard a few pieces of advice on people who try to give you advice:

1) Never take advice from someone you wouldn't gladly trade places with
and
2) People always doubt that which they do not understand

Kinda makes sense, huh?
In response to the actual question, my parents would be the most opposed which I can understand now being a parent.

Climb ON!!

evs786

Feb 6, 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #27 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know what you mean. Although Im young, I want to take climbig to a deeper level. My parents (and undestandably so) are woried that I am taking foolish risks. I try to tell them that I know what I am doing and I am with an experienced climber but they still get on my case. And such is life.........

quickclips

Feb 6, 2003, 11:08 PM
Post #28 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of my friends who hear me talk about it want to come and try it, or they are freaked out by it and say they're scared of heights. So when the newbies come they see thats its not that dangerous as long as you do all the checks. But I'm always afraid to bring a newbie along because they might do something stupid and get people hurt or just not be disrespectful of the places we climb.

climbingpride

Feb 6, 2003, 11:24 PM
Post #29 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL!! I have a major problem with this. Its like a continous topic because i am officialy obsesed. They tell me to go "cold turky" with it. And they say it is unhealth to think so much and spend so much on one sport. The funny thing is that those who we have braugh climbing with us got into climbing. Everyone thats come with me and my "main" partnen, has baughted thier own gear, like harness and shoes and belay, except for 3 girls who we brought. They just wanted to come again and keep their $$.

Its funny how you can see other climbers going threw the same things you do. ie addiction to the sport and it's concequences.

bakedjake

Feb 7, 2003, 2:38 PM
Post #30 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tell them..........

"Be chary of giving advice, wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it."

and I would suggest we could either be the wise man slash woman on the mountain or just plain old climbing fools....

whipper

Feb 7, 2003, 3:08 PM
Post #31 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

meg, all great answers so far but honestly if it is affecting your school then the best thing you can do is drop out. I am serious. I did and it was the best thing for my climbing, school is so over rated. oh yes I am broke all the time but I dont sit in an office, climb all the time, and have disposable jobs, how many others out there want that?

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 7, 2003, 3:10 PM
Post #32 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although I climb with many partners, my wife is the one I climb with most, so no "objections" from her, other than she HATES it when I free solo at any grade.

arak42

Feb 7, 2003, 3:16 PM
Post #33 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My mother freaked out when I told her a few years ago that I took up rock climbing. (It should really have surprised her, I spent my whole childhood in a tree!) For a while she didn't want to hear me talk about it. For a while now, though, I have been telling her about the safety protocals we take, showed her some equipment and how is works and all. Although it still makes her quezy to see my pictures of me climbing, the more she learns, the more accepting she is of it. My father on the other hand, thinks it the coolest thing and wishes he didn't have severe arthritis in his shoulder.

K

theshu

Feb 7, 2003, 3:24 PM
Post #34 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just tell them this, Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and shut up and I'll tell you yours!

Be careful with your grades though, you might regret it further down the track.

iris

Feb 7, 2003, 3:34 PM
Post #35 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am amazed that someone can say that climbing is bad for your health although it is used for therapeutically treatment to enhance coordination ability and strengthen / re-strenghten your body.
I would say: Just continue to climb with the right safety measures, but don’t forget about school (if you have the right education it is easier to find a job which allows you to enjoy your spare time activities, e.g. traveling and climbing) :-)

estherator

Feb 7, 2003, 8:33 PM
Post #36 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Whipper,
What kind of disposable jobs do you recommend for maximum climbing time? Always looking for a better way.

misha

Feb 8, 2003, 12:16 AM
Post #37 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

non climbers see mission impossible 2, cliffhanger, and vertical limit and get the idea that clibing is a pysocho sport with people dying left and right. I most often feel safer climbing than playing team sports like lacrosse. People get surprised when i tell them i rarely go more than 20 feet off the ground. The cool thing about climbing is that you can have a relaxed session bouldering 10 feet off the deck with your friends, or go solo 5.12. whatever you feel like doing.

canrocker

Feb 8, 2003, 12:28 AM
Post #38 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only people I've encountered who object to my climbing obsession are my parents. Anytime someone I know asks the, "what if you fall?" question, I tell them we all gotta die sometime and they just accept it.
On the plus side, My parents realized that I'm not gonna give up climbing so they bought me lessons! Free climbing!$!$

brendodb

Feb 8, 2003, 12:46 AM
Post #39 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No one really objects to me climbing... my Dad just can't figure out why it's so fun to do, thinks it must hurt too much...
My Mom on the other hand likes climbing, actually took her out once and she had a blast...

Usually people (esp my gf) can't figure out why I wear such small shoes...

meataxe

Feb 8, 2003, 1:03 AM
Post #40 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never had any flack over climbing, but I have on my other activities. I avoid all team sports and activities--just doesn't work for me. People see individual sports like climbing, mountain biking, wind surfing, etc. as "action" or (gack) "extreme" sports.

Somehow people think I am a fearless maniac, even though I think I am more careful and safety conscious than your typical softball/soccer player. (I know more "ball sport" players that have been injured.)

Probably the most dangerous thing I do is solo canoe tripping. Not so dangerous by itself, it's just that you could break a leg and be stranded and die of exposure. It doesn't have that "extreme" image, so people don't think you are risking your life.

I guess you have to climb to understand.

Partner blazesod

Feb 8, 2003, 1:11 AM
Post #41 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Owning a car is dangerous..
Driving is dangerous...
Breathing poluted air is dangerous...

Walking through the woods on a peaceful morning is dangerous....

It is your life, live it!

rocks4jules

Feb 8, 2003, 1:12 AM
Post #42 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes. I am going to be 40 years old this year, and last summer I just started climbing. My family isn't too excited about the rock climbing, and they all gave up trying to talk me out of it. I still climb, and I still love it. In addition, I prefer mountaineering over rock climbing alone, and I plan to learn more -- especially ice and rock. My mom is totally having a fit about it. She wants to sit down with me and give me her leture/opinions why I shouldn't mountaineer. I find my schedule tight like yours, but climbing is a must. I will backpack, mountaineer, rock climb, snow shoe, snowboard, etc. until this body of mine won't let me any more. Stay focused on your dreams, giving respect to others opinions, but never sell yourself short. Good question/forum. Bye for now.

Jules

[ This Message was edited by: rocks4jules on 2003-02-07 17:15 ]

roninthorne

Feb 8, 2003, 3:48 PM
Post #43 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jules- very nicely put... I can't add a thing. Ever climb on any of the rock around Lake Pond Orreille?

(I know I misspelled that... heck, I couldn't pronounce it the first time, either...)

As for the perfect disposable job for maximum climbing time: stagehand. You get paid and fed to assemble concerts and check out what the band and their groupies are really like, backstage, then they pay you to check out the concert and tear it down. Since you work mostly on Friday, Saturday, and Sundays, you miss the crowds at the crags and have the middle of the week to spend your fat paycheck on gear and gas to the crag.

Other best disposable job for climbing: cook and/or waitron in a college town pizza joint: plenty of potential climbing partners drifting through all the time, ditto on partners for "extracurricular/conjugal activies", lots of free food and the occasional pitcher of good brews. The pay is usually on par with whatever the area is offering, you can pick up extra hours from folks wanting to take a day or three off, and you get tips and catch the latest buzz on free local services and happenings.

Plus, these places are usually pretty casual about you taking off for a while or leaving altogether.

bergsteigen

Feb 9, 2003, 8:09 PM
Post #44 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing is both physically and mentally demanding, how can this be bad for your health?? As far as safety goes, more people are injurred and killed in automobile accidents each year than climbing. Most of the safety and risk is self regulated. Besides, climbing promotes a healthy life-style and respect for the out doors and nature. Those who wish to lead a sheltered life need to shelter themselves, and let those of us who want to adventure adventure!

greengecko

Feb 9, 2003, 8:23 PM
Post #45 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when some says "you could die doing that!" sinple laugh maniacly ("BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAMWAHAHAHAHA") and say "yes yes i could, hehehe"

apollodorus

Feb 9, 2003, 8:27 PM
Post #46 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tiger Woods needed knee surgery, and all he does is play golf. Magic Johnson got AIDS from playing basketball. Pete Rose was banned from baseball for life. Monica Seles got stabbed playing tennis. And then Andre Agassi went bald. Dale Earnhart crashed his car. Jerry Rice was dumped by the 49ers. I saw a hockey guy, and he had no teeth. All those bowling pros need to wear wrist braces. Dennis Conner can't win the America's Cup back. Sports Illustrated isn't calling Kathy Ireland anymore. Tonya Harding is a professional wrestler. Garry Kasperov is stupider than a PC.

bakedjake

Feb 10, 2003, 10:07 PM
Post #47 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Security is mostly a superstition. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run that outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." ‹ Helen Keller.

roseraie

Feb 10, 2003, 10:20 PM
Post #48 of 48 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you everyone!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook