Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

rockpossum

Feb 11, 2003, 7:20 PM
Post #76 of 87 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Pregnancy & sponsorship?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've always wondered if most people actually read the sequential posts on a thread before posting something redundant. I think this one answers it.

I still don't know anything about this situation but I do think it's great that people react this way in support of Lynn Hill.

Mike

meataxe

Feb 12, 2003, 2:47 AM
Post #77 of 87 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It would be nice to know the full story on this, but I suspect we may never hear it.

- North Face will obviously be reticent to give the full story if Lynn was indeed "dumped".

- Lynn Hill will likely not want to give the full story. Slagging a former sponsor will not help much when you go looking for a new one. (Even if justified.)

climbsomething

Feb 12, 2003, 4:02 AM
Post #78 of 87 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not going to get on a soapbox with a cliched, pre-packaged, attempt-to-sound-smart PC diatribe about how TNF can now kiss my ass for valuing $$ over its people, for being sexist, for wading in illegal waters, for blah blah blah *hurl*

You're getting the pre-packaged shaddup response instead.

We really don't know anything from Lynn herself, and so what? It's not our business. Just because Lynn Hill is a climbing celebrity does not mean we have a vested interest in her personal life- family, "employment," conversations she supposedly has via email, etc.

If Lynn Hill IS expecting, that is delightful, and when she feels like coming out with a public statement herself, I will happily congratulate her. She is an inspiring climber and one of my very favorites.

Until then, shame on the original poster and his daughter for opening up this huge, smelly can of worms. If I were Ms. Hill, I would feel betrayed and, um, a bit annoyed that my (?) private remarks were being shared with a bunch of strangers on the internet to this end. (I am giving Lynn the benefit of the doubt that she presumes her email conversations NOT public information) So take this as a lesson in tact, cologman and climbergirl.

I know the people of RC.com are basically kind, caring people. This has been proven to me personally several times before. But people, know your subject matter. Think.

totigers

Feb 12, 2003, 4:18 AM
Post #79 of 87 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember when I was young and heard of something like this, we just boycotted the company to remind them that if it wasn't for us, they would have nothing.
So will you stand up and purchase nothing from them?
I will start now and will not purchase ANYTHING from them until the end of the year.
I'm only one, who else will join. If they bring her back then I will order again.

curt

Feb 12, 2003, 4:59 AM
Post #80 of 87 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course the entire thread of TNF retaliatory comments contained herein are based upon whether or not the initial premise of Lynn being dropped by them is true or not.

From my perspective, as also mentioned in the analagous Lance Armstrong posts, the sponsor has every right to discontinue the sponsorship of an athlete.

The real question, in my mind, is whether that was really a good decision on their part? In the case of Lance Armstrong, later sponsored by the US Postal Service team, the answer is obvious. In Lynn's case, only time will tell, but my gut feeling is that TNF will regret this decision, if indeed they did can her.

Curt

petsfed

Feb 12, 2003, 5:05 AM
Post #81 of 87 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't need some hearsay sexual-harassment controversey to make me not buy TNF stuff. I can't bloody afford it anyway, so maybe not sponsoring the talented Ms. Hill will bring their prices down. Either way, as previously stated, we don't know the whole story so we can't get in a tizzy over (there's that word again) HEARSAY.

k9rocko

Feb 12, 2003, 5:26 AM
Post #82 of 87 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a controversial policy regarding 'pregnancy' or 'disability' in the workplace. None of these conditions warants any type of discrimination. Anyone who discriminates on these factors alone is looking to get sued.

However, when we use these issues as an excuse for inability to perform the task our employer expects (ie. working) for a prolonged period of time, we cannot expect to keep our job. Boundaries are a reality.

Bottom line, keep climbing Lynn.... bounce back hard. Make them all wish they'd held on.

Too many never bounce back, and I can't blame TNF for wondering. I can blame them, however, for jumping the gun to assume. The whole kneejerk reaction thing is such a drag? eh?

salathiel

Feb 12, 2003, 5:43 AM
Post #83 of 87 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, I too cannot help but respond to this thread.

1. North Face gear for the most part sucks they sold out a long time ago.
A: their tents and sleeping bags are too small.
B: unless you happen to be a skinny minnie supermodel type their women's clothing does not fit.
C: they manufacture their crap in countries that are notorious for using child labor.
2. their gear sucks now.
3. If the rumor is true then its just one more reason not to buy crappy gear.
4, If the rumor is not true then its one less reason not to buy their crap.
Blur

todrick

Feb 12, 2003, 8:45 AM
Post #84 of 87 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok i was gonna stay out of this...

but...

1 thing people just keep missing.

LH is not a TNF employee... they have no legal or ethical obligations to continue allowing her to endorse their product...

if she was an employee that another story and another issue.

the only issue here is...

Can/will she climb/travel "work" to the abilities and schedule that she has been, while she is pregnant and during the following months with a newborn child?
the answer to that question is also the answer to the "is TNF obligated to sponsor LH?"

why if you are TNF would you sponsor someone who can not represent your product in the capacity expected... thats like TNF sponsoring me.

jumpingrock

Feb 12, 2003, 9:18 AM
Post #85 of 87 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah yes this seems to remind me of other topics in American life. Ie the pending attacks on Iraq. Heck we ain't sure but lets beat them up anyway. Just to be safe.

todrick

Feb 12, 2003, 10:05 AM
Post #86 of 87 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you know, you got a point

rockpossum

Feb 13, 2003, 12:17 AM
Post #87 of 87 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I nominate climbsomething for president. Your remarks on page six should at least get post of the month. What a fair even handed and appropriate response. I wish I could write half that well.

What she said!

Mike

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook