Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Guide advice? And where can we buy stove fuel?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

baldguy

Feb 12, 2003, 1:16 PM
Post #1 of 2 (993 views)
Shortcut

Guide advice? And where can we buy stove fuel?  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park: _Joshua_Tree_National_Park_Overview_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My girlfriend and I will be in J-Tree Mar.1st-4th and we're looking for a guide for 1 or 2 days. Most of our climbing has been done indoors, and I'm sketched out at the prospect of setting up my own topropes there (I've only set up tr's a handful of times).

I've emailed a few of the guides listed on the AMGA website. I've have heard back from one and his rates were $145 per person per day. Is that around what I can expect to pay? While I plan to enjoy the beauty of J-Tree regardless, I'd hate to have to miss out on climbing just because I can't afford a guide.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, obviously. Also, if anybody is planning to be there that weekend and would "take pity" on our situation and be willing to let us tag along for a few routes, we can pay (in beer, or even cash per route maybe?), just not $300. We normally climb in the .10's indoors, but we'd be psyched to do ANYTHING.

One more question (sorry so long). We can't bring our Primus stove fuel on the plane, and we'll be arriving late Friday night - are there any stores open 24 hours that might happen to have it in the camping section (I think there's a Wal-Mart somewhere in 29 Palms...)? We'd hate to have to start the weekend off without coffee. Short of that - a suggestion for a place where we can get breakfast with good, strong coffee would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Baldguy

josher

Feb 12, 2003, 2:39 PM
Post #2 of 2 (993 views)
Shortcut

Guide advice? And where can we buy stove fuel? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

second question first.
Nomad Ventures may have the stove stuff (right on the corner of HWY 62 and Park (main road into JT). Yucca Valley (10 mins. from JT) has a K-mart, Wal*Mart (not sure about the 24 hour deal)

As for guides question. I would skip the guide ($$) and just find one of us who frequent the area and see if they can show you around.

My 2

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook