RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

crankingclimber

Feb 13, 2003, 4:11 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1007 views)
Shortcut

"In the zone moment"
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What situation/s have gotten you the most psyched in climbing? You know that feeling, when you committ, get into the zone and just feel invincible, like you could climb anything?

My personal best was while putting up a new route. It was pitch two, I went through steep territory, and then hit the main feature, a 12 foot horizontal roof. I placed gear, and then had to committ, cranking off a hideously small crimper that felt as if it could break off. The moment I decided to put my weight on that hold, I just "zoned in" and it was as if the climb had nothing on me from there out - despite the fact that I was in completely unknown territory, in a horizontal roof. I blasted through, and finished up the climb, giving it a grade of 5.10. My hardest lead on gear to date. Moments like that remind me of just why I climb. What are yours?

figure4

Feb 13, 2003, 6:11 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1007 views)
Shortcut

"In the zone moment" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When the sun is out and I'm with great friends, man just being out climbing gives you the best feeling ever! About 3 weeks ago I had one of the bests days ever just doing some winter bouldering! I flashed every problem in the area that afternoon with out a problem. I have not been able to do that again so I don't know what it was that day but it felt amazing! For me, being out doing any sort of climbing gives me the feeling that I can handel anything that life throws at me next!

lox

Feb 13, 2003, 6:16 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like eating like Randy Leavitt !

ikefromla

Feb 13, 2003, 6:20 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have those from time to time. the most recent/best example was on January first of this year (yes, even after new year's eve) at Red Rock, NV. I had been working "The Gift" at The Gallery for five days over the course of the previous week. I had already given the thing two tries that day (21 total). I was at that point, I'm sure you can relate, on the brink of complete frustration, trying to stay motivated. My mom came out in the afternoon (i stay with her when i visit vegas 'cause she lives there still) with a sub sandwich. i had the route sussed, but had just about had enough with it. i asked good old "John Sir" for a B-lay on "gift climb" and figured i'd give it one more shot, with the added stress of my mother watching. As soon as i touched the first holds however, i was SO in the Zone. the moves came like magic, and i flowed through to the rest before the crux.. i subconciously reminded myself to relax, and kept going. i grabbed the crux gaston, gave a perfect deadpoint to the full-pad rail, and topped out without hesitation. as i lowered, i could have rivaled the lights of the strip i was glowing so much. a submarine sandwich never tasted so good. my best moment in the sport... THAT is why I climb.

[ This Message was edited by: ikefromla on 2003-02-12 22:26 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook