RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

superd

Feb 18, 2003, 6:19 PM
Post #1 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Ideal Truck for Climbing/Cragging?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Am in the market to get a used truck for climbing/camping. Looking at 1998-2001 Ford F150 with supercab. Plan on putting a shell on it. What are your thoughts on this car? Reliable? Decent gas mileage? Should I get the regular bed...or go for the longer bed? Any thoughts? If you had between $12K-8K to spend on a truck...what would it be?

benkiessel

Feb 18, 2003, 6:27 PM
Post #2 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Ideal Truck for Climbing/Cragging? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i would get a toyota tacoma, with a topper.

mcsosar3456

Feb 18, 2003, 8:54 PM
Post #3 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you want to be uber cool then get a series land rover...

bakedjake

Feb 18, 2003, 8:56 PM
Post #4 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Junk Trucks for Five Hundred Bucks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I swear to you, the best truck is the basic $500.00 truck. Preferably a GM product because in that current price range there were more GM's sold back then and they tend to be more interchangable within model years on parts from the junk yard. Ironically that $500.00 pick up is worth $70.00 a year in an AAA membershop. Why, never been towed anywhere for anything less than $50.00.

Hey and if push comes to shove, if it finally blows an engine or some other catastophic condition occurs it's cheaper to give it away than fix it. Find another junkie owner within 25 miles and he'll tow it away for free while thanking you for the gift. I swear, I've done it and proved it time and time again.

Never, ever for any reason buy a red truck. Red trucks are evil.

krillen

Feb 18, 2003, 9:02 PM
Post #5 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I gots me a RED '96 Ford Ranger with a cap. The only thing I'd prefer (excpet a 4x4 Tacoma....mmmm.....Tacoma) is a king cab. But as far as usefulness, comfort, reliability, and MILEAGE this truck had been phenominal. With gas prices skyrocketing I'd say go with a 2 x 4 Small pickup. I've only been ot one crag (Motherlode in RRG) that has ever needed anything my 2x4 couldn't provide, and it was still within walking distance anyway.

spacemonkey

Feb 18, 2003, 9:40 PM
Post #6 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I realize that I may have been the victim of an evil advertising campaign, but that new Honda Element looks pretty cool. You can get it in 4 wheel drive with all sorts of sweet extras (like a tent for the back, and a "tailgaiting package") Only problem I saw with it was the 4WD only comes in automatic. :-( Gas mileage on it is cool though. (21/26 for the 2WD)

Brian

easysteve

Feb 18, 2003, 9:44 PM
Post #7 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trucks climb too? Sweet.

Anyway, I'm looking for a truck also, it depends on how it runs, don't need to be left along out there... In the dark.

mountainmonkey

Feb 18, 2003, 9:49 PM
Post #8 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to fully support krillen's statements. I have a nissan 2wd king cab and it is, in my opinion, the best road trip/climbing car (as long as you do not need 4wd or surplus ground clearance). It gets 29+ mpg on the hwy (gas adds up on 1000+ mi road trips). There is plenty of room in the (king) cab for driving/riding comfort and plenty of room in the bed for camping, climbing, and big walling gear. It can seat 3 people for a road trip, but one better be asleep or that person will be whining. For two people it is perfect. Go ahead and waste your money (both immediately and in the long run, ie gas) if you really think you need a full size PU. The only thing I really need is a topper ...

pilgrim

Feb 18, 2003, 9:55 PM
Post #9 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got an '02 Tacoma and it's great. If you want something that's low maintenance and will last forever, you just can't beat a Toyota.

rabbitprobe

Feb 18, 2003, 10:04 PM
Post #10 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely go for a toyota. Either the tacoma (comes with 4 doors if you need the space) or a tundra if you need the full sized with extra power. Either way go for at least the extended cab. You'll pay more for these trucks than you would a domestic, but its well worth it. The tacoma will run forever, and actually be worth something when you sell it with 200k miles on it. The tundras dont have the history of the tacomas, since they haven’t been around that long, but they look like they hold true to toyotas tradition of reliability and the resale value is defiantly there. Safety is another reason. Trucks aren’t subjected to the same safety standards as other passenger vehicles. When the insurance institute did there first crash tests on full sized trucks, the tundra was the only one that did ok. The dodge chevy and ford got POOR scores, espesctaly in the ford (in a 25 mph head on offset crash you would almost assuredly die!!!) If you need 4x4 capabilities, these are the only choices you should consider, unless your looking at very mild terrain. Ford chevy and dodge just cant compare off road to toyota. I got so sick of my ford getting stuck and having to be pulled out by a Tacoma :wink:

rockinitinark

Feb 18, 2003, 10:17 PM
Post #11 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I spent 900 bucks on my ford courier, it gets 22 miles a gallon, witha topper i have a rack on top for my boat and my bike. sleep in the back if its raining, or cant find a camp site....or just to lazy to put my tent up :shock:

meataxe

Feb 18, 2003, 10:44 PM
Post #12 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...old VW bus???

krillen

Feb 18, 2003, 10:57 PM
Post #13 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A 4x4 woudl be ideal for all of us, but you have ot think of the non-climbing ramifications. I use my truck for everything, not just cragging.
The less gas you burn the less harmful you are to the environment we all go out to enjoy. There are WAY too many smog days every summer, I'm just trying to minimize my impacts where I can. It's worth the consideration.

dirko

Feb 19, 2003, 12:33 AM
Post #14 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best truck for camping and cragging is a van. If it ever rains on one of your roadtrips, you will see why.

I say van beause you have more room in back, you can switch out drivers and sleepers without stopping, and because you can pretend you are a member of the A-Team.

Seriously, though, I have seen many friends make the conversion from truck to van since I started climbing. Vans are the shit---you never have to get out to get into the rest of it, or to go to bed. Unless you are going to get a lift kit, (maybe even then!), skip the truck.

wlderdude

Feb 19, 2003, 12:55 AM
Post #15 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with the van comment. If you are not too vain to drive an ugly vehicle like a van, you will see why.

Trucks are good vehicles for jobs like hauling manure, dead animals and really heavy stuff that has to be loaded with a crane. If you are an especially vain person, you can make it llok all pretty and burn up twice as much gas as you should because you are using the wrong vehicle for your needs.

Vans are great for people who don't work construction, hunt, or need crane service. You can take road trips with lots of people, thus reducing gas costs. You can sleep comfortably in the back. The AC and heater reach the back. The suspension is MUCH MUCH nicer for driving people around. You have just as much or even more ground clearance than trucks. The seats sit in a more natural position, so you don't fatigue on long road tips like you do in cars or trucks. Your gear stays dry and locked up. You have jost as much cargo space.

I want a van.

weaselman

Feb 19, 2003, 1:00 AM
Post #16 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say, go for a minivan. Looks dumb, but there's tons of room if you take out the back two benches, and all your gear stays dry. Also, minivans are real cheap cuz noone wants them. 8)

salathiel

Feb 19, 2003, 1:32 AM
Post #17 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am with the weasel (man that sounds kind of dirty), If you have a stupid male ego and need the truck with the topper then by all means go for it. i have slept in the back of my Ford Ranger many a time and I will tell you one thing: It is one drafty mofo! This is okay when its not windy, but try it on a cold night out in Joshua tree and I guarantee you will want the van.
Much warmer now in my new windstar, the ultimate road trip machine!
Blur

extrasports

Feb 19, 2003, 2:34 AM
Post #18 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Toyota...you got it! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy a Toyota. Take it from someone who owns both a Toyota 4runner and a F150. Toyota is by far the best. Look up a maintance search on the web and you will discover common problems from differant owners who own a Ford. You won't find ANY problems with a Toyota. I'm proof of this fact. Get a Toyota! I wish someone would have told me this before I bought my Ford.
Good Luck
Howie aka (Extrasports)

flying_dutchman

Feb 19, 2003, 2:44 AM
Post #19 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dodge ram 3500 diseal w/ crew cab and 8'box, oh wait, under 18 grand... Why get a truck if ur looking for something cheaper with good mileage? get a van or something with lots of room inside.

bakedjake

Feb 21, 2003, 4:15 PM
Post #20 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're a dirtbag and trying to go cheap old fords can be a pain in the a$%. I had a 74' F-250 that had I think 6 different starter configurations for that engine. Whereas GM had one starter that fit 3 different engines. When you're rummaging around a junkyard big difference.

I agree with the poster who rates Toyota high as a low maitenance vehicle. I have had great luck with old toyota pick ups.

Partner camhead

Feb 21, 2003, 4:35 PM
Post #21 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've driven a lot of fords, from 81-98, and can attest that they break down pretty frequently. domestic trucks these days are shitty and their parts are flimsy, sorry, but it's the truth.

apart from not very good gas mileage, my 1985 Toyota Landcruiser is the shizzit. I pretty much only use it for roadtrips (as I ride my bike about everywhere in town), and it is awesome. put the back seat down, and you can sleep in the back. Plus, it has the coolest tailgate design in the world; totally made for roadtripping.

there is a reason that these old vehicles are still selling for 6-8 thousand dollars.

bighigaz

Feb 21, 2003, 4:38 PM
Post #22 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

hmmm... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anything with 4 wheels that says "Jeep" somewhere on the body.

petsfed

Feb 21, 2003, 6:27 PM
Post #23 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As an incidental, have any of you ever been to Tacoma, Washington? If so, does it bother anyone that Toyota named a truck after a city with a very...distinctive scent? Maybe they were referring to the old name for Mount Ranier, in which case, you're pronouncing it all wrong.

Ta-ch(like you're hocking a loogie)-o-ma.

I'd say one of those old 4 wheel drive toyota vans. That's what I'm after.

easysteve

Feb 21, 2003, 10:58 PM
Post #24 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Econoline.

onbelay_osu

Feb 21, 2003, 11:23 PM
Post #25 of 25 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i too want to jump on the toyota band wagon, but i must say for its price and for its gas mileage, and the fact i am a poor college student, i do dishes to make a living for the love of everything good and holy, i would have to say a tercel is the way to go, u can sleep in the back, tons of storage, hell yeah next car i get is going to be a trecel! :lol:

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook