RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

andy_lemon

Dec 10, 2001, 7:47 PM
Post #1 of 11 (927 views)
Shortcut

Gone Bonkers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The whole site has gone crazy in the last couple of days. I'm glad to see that the forums are back today!

I would like to bring to everyones attention that no one can add routes yet. That when the routes section is viewed it shows up errors everywhere. I'm almost positive that this is due to the recent server changes. Trevor probably isn't done with moving everything over. Well, hope everything gets back to normal in a couple of days.

Andy

woodse

Dec 10, 2001, 11:35 PM
Post #2 of 11 (927 views)
Shortcut

Gone Bonkers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gone bonkers is right!!!!!!!!

This site runs as smoothly as a volkswagen on a 4x4 road lately!!!!!

But hey I'm just giving ya a hard time rc.com!! Don't take it personally...

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Dec 11, 2001, 12:43 AM
Post #3 of 11 (927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I fixed the Routes areas. I tested adding/editing/deleting a Region, Area, Section, and Route. It all worked like a charm.

I also cleaned up some warning messages on the Ascents page too.

Trevor

diarmid

Dec 11, 2001, 1:02 AM
Post #4 of 11 (927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*sniff*

We missed you, man ... we were so lost without you ... or at least reallly bored at work!

No worries, it's to be expected when you upgrade ...

andy_lemon

Dec 12, 2001, 9:34 PM
Post #5 of 11 (927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you. Now I can create an online guidebook.

jds100

Dec 12, 2001, 11:04 PM
Post #6 of 11 (927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try doing it without ripping off somebody else's guidebooks that are already published. These people worked hard to gather the info first hand, and, in the case of the one written by my friend in southern Illinois, it can involve climbing most of the routes, too.

If you're going to just transcribe someone else's work, at least have the courtesy and integrity to credit the people who's work you're reading from, and also let people know when you haven't actually climbed in or even been to an area for which you purport to be writing a guide.

And, a guidebook isn't just writing the name and rating. It may get you a lot of points on this website, but it adds nothing useful to the database, nor to climbers looking for real information.

[ This Message was edited by: jds100 on 2001-12-12 15:10 ]

andy_lemon

Dec 13, 2001, 7:08 PM
Post #7 of 11 (927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what in the... I have climbed at the areas posted.

jds100

Dec 13, 2001, 8:17 PM
Post #8 of 11 (927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What I'm referring to, since you ask, is that you have entered tons of Area, Section, and Route names and ratings, with little or no specific information as to their location, the method of protection, specifics of the routes, etc. etc. This has served you well in acquiring points for RC.com, but has added nothing of value to the database.

My more specific complaint is that you essentially ripped off the guidebook authored by a friend of mine, in southern Illinois. Much of what you transcribed about the areas was lifted directly from his book, and you revealed you lack of familiarity with the area(s), by some of what you included as "Sections". I've spent a lot of time cleaning up your inadequate and innacurate entries for Jackson Falls, but before I editted your entries, I emailed them to myself, and to the guidebook author. So, he may give you a call, too.

The issue of plagarizing has been discussed, as has the issue of "listing" database info; I believe Trevor is unequivocal about plagarizing: don't do it. As to your habit of building up points for doing so little work of your own, I guess that's just okay with enough people on RC.com, that you can keep right on doing it. But, you do a disservice to this site, in my opinion. And, to me it seems unfair to people like Adam, Compclimber, and many others, who bring a lot of genuine experience, and put in a lot of actual effort to make contributions to this site.

I applaud your enthusiasm and excitement for climbing, but I also think you have a lot to learn about it still (in part, judging by many of your posts). One thing that is particularly unattractive in any climber, is spraying. To me, what you're doing is tantamount to spraying about places, routes, and areas that you've not been to enough, or haven't climbed on. In my opinion, since you asked, you should not enter (and therefore get points and "credit") Area, Section, and Route info -and "info" means more than just the name and rating- if you are not actually familiar with it, or have a partner who can pass along first-hand knowledge. If you do enter such an Area, Section or Route, you should be honest about your level of experience with that Area, Section or Route. And you sure as hell should give credit to the guidebook and author from whom you're lifting the information. You certainly couldn't expect to get by with that crap at your university; you shouldn't bring it here, either.

[ This Message was edited by: jds100 on 2001-12-13 12:20 ]

andy_lemon

Dec 13, 2001, 8:28 PM
Post #9 of 11 (927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in the process of delting every route that I've entered outside of my states...

congrats!

jds100

Dec 13, 2001, 8:58 PM
Post #10 of 11 (927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, so others will know, too, you can't remove the info you've entered, and you won't "lose" the points even if you edit away the names and ratings; in fact, it might get you more points for editting an existing route. Only state managers can remove an entry, and I don't know if the points go away or not; I doubt it.

This issue has been discussed, on forums and in PMs with admins. If you're thinking of editting your previously entered info with the thought that I will learn a lesson, your effort is misplaced. If you disagree with my opinion, I'd rather read your disagreements and defenses. If you agree, I'd also like to read that.

andy_lemon

Dec 13, 2001, 9:03 PM
Post #11 of 11 (927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did not edit anyone elses routes except for the routes that I have posted. If people are going to go around thinking I'm plagerizing then I just soon delete everything I put up... so that is what I did.

Your information for Jackson Falls was not touched... I respect my powers as a gold member and I will never abuse prevliges given to me.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook