RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

daisuke

Feb 22, 2003, 1:18 PM
Post #1 of 15 (1727 views)
Shortcut

worldgames 2005 and olympic shot for climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

some news that is probably not good in the mind of most climbers:

climbing has been incorporated into the plan for the world games of 2005, this means that eventually climbing might become an olympic sport, especially since it was one of the featured exhibition sports in the 1994 winter games.

information source: Klettern Magazine

spydey

Feb 22, 2003, 3:01 PM
Post #2 of 15 (1727 views)
Shortcut

worldgames 2005 and olympic shot for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i personly think it is a good idea to have climbing in the olypics. i dont know about you guys.

peace out

w6jxm

Feb 22, 2003, 4:21 PM
Post #3 of 15 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with daisuke that this is not really the thing for our sport. The only way that climbing would be implemented would be though artificial walls and holds. It would not be a true representation of our sport, unlike the boulder comps that we have already outside the olympics. Besides that, the best people in climbing probably would not enter anyway. so we would have people trying to win who train to win, and who may not nessesarily climb as a lifestyle. Also, not that I am against promoting the sport, having it as just another games would IMO draw people into the sport who are of a different mentality than most of us. Besides, climbing is a lifestyle, not a sport. You can't put a lifestyle up for competition.

josephine

Feb 22, 2003, 4:30 PM
Post #4 of 15 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ouch...that's not GOOD!I don't like that!
Climbing is a lifestyle not a sport! :(

jackflash

Feb 22, 2003, 5:36 PM
Post #5 of 15 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing is a lifestyle and not a sport? Maybe for the majority of people here, but not to everyone. Skiing is in the Olympics, and I imagine quite a few ski bums would take issue with their recreation portrayed as a sport as well.

I wouldn't mind climbing being in the Olympics, although I don't think I'd even watch it when it showed on TV, especially if it was anything like speed climbing in the x-games.

flying_dutchman

Feb 22, 2003, 5:46 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

make ice climbing a winter olympic sport. Rock climbing, though, would probably have to be indoor style so it should not be included in the summer games IMO cause plastic just doesn't compare. Ice climbing towers are very realistic to the real sport of ice climbing so it would be a very worth while olympic game.

thomasribiere

Feb 22, 2003, 5:54 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you don't send Sharma and Brown, it's OK :lol:

qacwac

Feb 22, 2003, 6:13 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's pretty cool. If people want to train for climbing or just do it for exercise or whatever, that's their choice. Nobody's trying to tell you that it shouldn't be a lifestyle.

If it does become an Olympic sport the only drawback I see is it'll be more crowded at the crag. But then again if climbing is more recognized as a sport then we might get more areas opened up. And more gyms built and more gear in the stores.

daisuke

Feb 22, 2003, 7:39 PM
Post #9 of 15 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree that ice climbing could be incorporated into the winter games! I was just leafing thru that issue of climbing and there is a report on the world cup. plus... ice climbers are messed up in the head to do that stuff. I wouldnīt mind if it became olympic because few people are going to catch on and crowd the waterfalls because itīs just too expensive and remote in most cases. and those dumb enough to just jump in there to be cool would do the gene pool a favor by removing themselves from it.

I donīt want a bunch of gumbies at the crag tho. most climbers climb because they simply enjoy it, these dudes would be doing it to look cool, and Iīve heard enough stories of ppl bragging about being climbers when theyīre not just to impress chicks... real climbers donīt do that!

D

micronut

Feb 22, 2003, 7:57 PM
Post #10 of 15 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if climbers were supported by big advertising $$ like,say, female figure skaters, and every kid wanted to be the next Sharma, there would be some seriously rad gym climbers coming up.

biff

Feb 22, 2003, 8:02 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1727 views)
Shortcut

I think it is good. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If climbing does become an olimpic sport, the one good thing is that it will bring some money from government. There will be some really serious training for climbing, and new climbing areas will be developed around the world.

Most people are scarred of change; I am not.

What bad things could come of this? I can't think of any .. more people climing at your local areas? this would just give the climging community to develop more areas. Posers coming out and trying "your sport"? Grow up, people can climb if they want to. Serious Accidents ; Unskilled people trying climbing for the first time, and dying? Chances are that most people who will want to try and climb will do it first in a gym.

Good things that can come from Climbing in the Olympics? New indoor holds, and molding techniques. Chances are that there will be some large contract to build a kick ass climbing wall or boulder for any olympic climbing attemt. Wich will fuel new developments in indoor climging technology. More People - see my first paragraph to see why more people=more power. Cheaper gear .. with more people wanting to try climbing, climbing companies will be able to preduce more gear at lower cost, also fueling new developments in climbing gear. I am sure that there are more good things that could come of this, but I don't want to create a ptpp style novel on the subject.

If climbing in the olimpics changes your desire to climb, or your view on climbing, you should sell your gear, and find a new sport. Climbing isn't about an image, it is about enjoying yourself, and perhapms pushing your limits.

If Countries can find a way to "compete against eachother" by adding climbing to the olimpics, I konw I would watch, and hope that Canada wins, but it would not change my outlook on climbing in any way.

hows that for food for though.

I encourage anyone to come up with any "bad thing" that could come from the popularization of climbing, through introduction as an Olympic sport.

dirko

Feb 22, 2003, 8:14 PM
Post #12 of 15 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"OUR" sport? W.T.F? Who is in charge of climbing? There are no rules to this game we all play.

If someone wants to compete at the biggest, best games in the world against other climbers, let them. That doesn't stop me from having my own, dirtbag climber life. I can still climb big walls, boulders, whatever. How does making it an official sport affect the way I choose to do it for myself?

madriver

Feb 22, 2003, 10:31 PM
Post #13 of 15 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Micro Nut wrote...

In reply to:
and every kid wanted to be the next Sharma, there would be some seriously rad gym climbers coming up.

There already are...!!

Bring on the Olyimpics...Whoooo...Hoooooo..

M R :lol:

madriver

Feb 22, 2003, 10:32 PM
Post #14 of 15 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right On....Biff

Great Post!

Bob :)

rokshoxbkr19

Feb 23, 2003, 2:04 AM
Post #15 of 15 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,
What is wrong with some of you guys. I could go on for days and days about why I love to climb, but all I will say is this: You might not think someone is climbing for the "right" reasons, but it doesn't matter why someone climbs, just the fact that they are pulling down on rock is rad. If this brings out new climbers then good, if it brings newbies to the local crag thank God people like us are out there to make sure they are being safe when we can. I say, no matter where, why or how your are climbing, simply climb on and enjoy!!!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook