RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

daisuke

Dec 11, 2001, 4:38 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1496 views)
Shortcut

gatorade?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

do these isotonic beverages actually quench your thirst better than good ol water? are they worth taking on a day climb (as in, do they give you an advantage)? I find that drinking flavored stuff usually just makes me more thirsty than regular water.

D

squeeks

Dec 11, 2001, 4:55 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1496 views)
Shortcut

gatorade? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i prefer water. gatorade and other sports drinks usually make my mouth dryer. being a runner, im always told that water is better.

kahuna3602

Dec 11, 2001, 5:21 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1496 views)
Shortcut

gatorade? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Endurance athletes know that you have to replace electrolytes or you will have serious consequences, cramping and hyponatremia being just a couple. I find that gatorade and most of the other fluid replacement drinks are too concentrated right out of the bottle adn I'll dilute them about 25-33% depending on the heat. This of course mean you have to drink more fluid, but that's not usually a problem.
Having said all that, I think for most climbing situations fluid replacement drinks are unneccessary. The only one I could think of is big wall climbing and it seems water and electrolyte caps would be more weight efficient.

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 11, 2001, 6:34 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1496 views)
Shortcut

gatorade? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hydration is key, but you have to get the electrolytes...

CHEAPORADE [makes]
1 packet of unsweetened Koolaid (for 2 qts)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspn salt
1 gallon water

This is basically Gatorade for .50 cents instead of $4.

~Adam

naturalhigh

Dec 11, 2001, 8:39 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1496 views)
Shortcut

gatorade? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Although it can vary depending on what else you eat, very rarely does your body require even a fraction of the electrolytes in sports drinks. Getting the carbs from the drink is actually more important and has been shown to boost performance. Again, however, the typical sports drink provides way more than you need. Dilute dilute dilute. I might have a single quart of dilute gatorade or what not, and the rest of the day just drink water.

On a related note, simply illustrating what really matters in the sports drink; many olympic athletes simply drink flat (decarbonated) coke.

To get specific. It has also been shown that small amounts of certain soluble metal ions, such as Mg++, can also have a positive effect on muscular endurance. But this nitty gritty stuff matters little for most of us.

When I was a hardcore rower, and high output endurance performance was at a premium, I would drink a carb drink like diluted gatorade during my workouts.

Nowadays, I just drink water. I get enough electrolytes from the food I consume at the same time.

Also (sorry to drag this out), you should eat within 20min of working out. Speeds muscular recovery dramatically. Eat about 200 calories in a easily processed form(carbs) in that first 20 min, and then within the next hour or so, have a light meal (~300-400cal). Believe me, it makes a difference. You feel less tired and you gain power and endurance more quickly as you do not overstress your muscles as much.

I just can't stick to the topic, can I!

Partner missedyno

Dec 12, 2001, 12:52 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1496 views)
Shortcut

gatorade? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mmmm, i love mexican food after climbing...

but if i finish climbing at 11pm and go eat and then i'm only up for an hour or so after that, isn't that when your body stores the unburned calories as fat?

that can't be good...

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook