RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

onamission116

Feb 24, 2003, 5:18 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1527 views)
Shortcut

(another) wall newbie
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum. I live in NE and am going to the valley in the summer and plan to throw myself at at least one "learner" Grade V or VI before I leave. :lol: I've got four years trad experience and have been practicing aid techniques (rope soloing easy cracks, hauling, juggin, etc.). I'm kind of at the point that I know that I'm most likely compentent in the actual systems, but am not sure if my experience is enough. Have you found in the course of wall climbing that it is alright to climb with a "go fer it" approach or is it best to take it slowwww?

Also if any of you are going to be in the valley from early june to August (HOT, I know) and are looking for a partner to do easy aid routes, or any climbing for that matter, let me know.
Cheers and thanks for the input,
Matt

epic_ed

Feb 24, 2003, 6:14 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1527 views)
Shortcut

(another) wall newbie [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you understand enough about the systems to be soloing (even on the easy cracks), you more than likely have enough experience to "go fer it!" If you've been following some of the others posts you realize most people emphasize aid is about systems and problem solving. You aren't going to be moving very fast with your level of experience, but you probably know enough about the systems to get in some good practice is a very nice location. Say, South Face of Washington Column (like everyone else)? The only thing you have to ask yourself is, "How good are my problem solving skills?" Do you know enough to be able to work yourself through unexpected obstacles? If not, do you have enough sense to know when to bail?

I'd say give it a shot. It's nice to have more experience, but there are A LOT of people who have done their first aid climb on a wall in the Valley. Persistence, stubborness, and an ability to endure adversity will get you to the top of a lot of climbs.

Ed

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook