Premier Sponsor:

slab-dyno
Deleted

Feb 25, 2003, 3:22 AM
Post #1 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Best water bottles for big wall climbs?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am curious as to what type of water bottles everyone uses for big wall routes.

Jimmy

addiroids

Feb 25, 2003, 6:49 AM
Post #2 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Best water bottles for big wall climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

2 liter pop bottles with a 3mm clip in loop on a slip knot at the top. No duct tape needed.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

Save the ducts.

drunkenmonkey

Feb 25, 2003, 12:44 PM
Post #3 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup those gatorade bottles sure come in handy. we did a load of shopping down in Merced before going up to the valley and they had some gallon bottles of gatorade or similar which were really handy. They had handles so we just tied some cord for clip in loops. 92lts later and we hit the top of Zodiac. For your own drinking get a camel pack or similar it's the only way to go. lots of little sips will keep you in much better shape than big glugs at the belay's. Your gut cant absorb water that quickly so little and often is best.

Take it easy :lol:

twrock

Feb 25, 2003, 1:24 PM
Post #4 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the same tie-in cord method as Mr. Dirtbag. Sometimes a few tall one liter bottles help fill the voids a little better. "Almost" indestructible, but they can break if you drop them far enough. :shock:

punk

Feb 25, 2003, 1:26 PM
Post #5 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I like the 2 litter coke bottles b/c u can collapse them when transporting or when empty and carry them to the next wall also the lip is great for drinking and slinging a keeper
I ditto the camelback or alike bladder system for personal use however don’t use any spout but the straight one since they will pop out on you so K.I.S.S no fancy attachments
8)

mrhardgrit

Feb 25, 2003, 1:34 PM
Post #6 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As above - all work well.... just avoid anything that is flimsy or splits easily.

Don't use duct tape - I have never had a bottle split or drop when not using it.

IMPORTANT - Use bottles which have an opening which is wider than your bell end! Otherwise you may not be able to do your wizz so easily and pee all over your nice shiny portaledge. Coke bottles are definitely not big enough for this!

Tom

beyond_gravity

Feb 25, 2003, 11:08 PM
Post #7 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No one has mentioned milk jugs. It seems to me that it you washed them out they would be ideal...you could just girth hitch the handle, and the opening is big enough for when nature calls.....or is this because the lids are too weak?

addiroids

Feb 25, 2003, 11:37 PM
Post #8 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

no jugs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Milk jugs don't pack well at all, and the seam will blow out easily. They just don't work all that hot.

As far as a water bottle for trad climbing goes, I love the gatorade 1/2 gallon bottles. No duct tape, just put a keeper on, clip to harness, and those damn things are indestructable. Thrashing in o.w.'s, bouncing down the descent, banging into the rock on a double hands off dyno!! Okay, so the last one is an exaggeration.

As far as a water bottle for sport climbing goes: I think Perrier or Evian would be nice. And you could wash it all down with a wine cooler all while holding your life-partner's hand while going back to the Jetta.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

iamthewallress

Feb 25, 2003, 11:45 PM
Post #9 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's my yuppie solution... Sometimes I buy it. Some big guys (3L) and some little ones (6x0.5L) for easy access. After my bf got giardia, I'm paranoid about stuff growing in there. If I'm going to stash the water in advance, the $5 I spend, gives me a little sanity. Before I got hurt last year I cached some store-bought water. Should still be fine.

smithclimber

Feb 26, 2003, 12:02 AM
Post #10 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Addiroids already answered for me.

2 liter soda bottles (Coke bottles have a bigger "lip" on them than say Dr. Pepper bottles do for keeping the 3mm keeper cords on the bottle).

In case you are heading to the Valley, save bottles ahead of time and bring them with you. Figure on needing (2) 2 liter bottles per person per day, thats slightly more than a gallon/day/person.

base104

Feb 26, 2003, 12:04 AM
Post #11 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This shouldn't even require more than one answer. 2 or 3 liter pop jugs. They are almost indestructable. Milk jugs will pop a top if given a good impact. I know Dr. Piton hates hanging stuff under the bags, but I always hang the emptys beneath the pigs to make it more roomy in the pigs.

Save your coke bottles! Climbers have been using them for, oh, 25 years..

smithclimber

Feb 26, 2003, 12:04 AM
Post #12 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Addiroids already answered for me.

2 liter soda bottles (Coke bottles have a bigger "lip" on them than say Dr. Pepper bottles do for keeping the 3mm keeper cords on the bottle).

In case you are heading to the Valley, save bottles ahead of time and bring them with you. Figure on needing (2) 2 liter bottles per person per day, thats slightly more than a gallon/day/person.

hans

Feb 26, 2003, 7:06 AM
Post #13 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Duct Tape [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The nice thing about not using duct tape is that you can re-use the keeper cord and save on weight. :idea:

Seriously, though, I'd probably die if you dropped one of those things on me. Even with my helmet on.

At least the bottle wouldn't break, though, so you'd be able to retrieve it for later use.

I know you guys were just kidding about the girth hitch, but what would be the better knot to use for this?

-Hans

iamthewallress

Feb 26, 2003, 7:23 AM
Post #14 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I girth them. Really. With skinny cord it's bomber.

(Edit.....

Woops...I'm sleepy. I don't girth them. I clove them. Don't girth them. Yikes.)

addiroids

Feb 26, 2003, 7:28 AM
Post #15 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Knots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to use a clove hitch (from a loop joined with a fishermans) but now I just make a 8 on a bite to clip to and on the bottle end is a slip knot made by a half a fisherman's around the neck. The tail on the fisherman's points out to the 8 on a bite, not around the circle. Cinch it down and it is much better than a clove hitch. The clove hitch does not cinch as tight and loosens quickly. No offense Melissa but it is better than a girth hitch due to fewer strands and greater cinching power.

I still have some clove hitch tied off for carrying in my hand on approaches. But that's on the Gatorade bottles. All the pop bottles are single stranded "fisherman's -- 8 on a bite" clip in's.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

rogueclimber

Feb 26, 2003, 7:29 AM
Post #16 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Easy, take a strand of keeper cord aprox. 12 inches long, tie a double fishermans in it and CLOVE HITCH to the top of your 2 liter bottle. A biner slips onto the cord nicely!

hans

Feb 26, 2003, 8:22 AM
Post #17 of 17 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dirtbag,

(I hope you don't mind if I call you Dirtbag)

Thanks, a slipknot is what I had been thinking about (like Pete recommends you use to tie on your adjustable fifi to your harness). Sorry, I didn't notice that part of your previous post.

I was just messing around with a piece of 3mm cord, and I did it essentially the same way as you but doubled over the cord on the slipknot end. This way cinches up even tighter, and the tail becomes a little grab loop so you won't break a nail trying to loosen the thing. Don't clip the grab loop!

I agree, a clove hitch is only slightly more secure than a girth, here.

-Hans

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook