RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

gardenfrog

Feb 28, 2003, 2:37 PM
Post #1 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Tips for 1st time at gym needed
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My husband and I took a beginning climbing class a week and a half ago, and are TOTALLY HOOKED!! We are going to the local climbing gym for the first time tomorrow and we are wondering what we should focus on? I want to get the most out of our day, but I also want to just have fun. Any ideas?

robbovius

Feb 28, 2003, 2:46 PM
Post #2 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Tips for 1st time at gym needed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You kinda answered your own question, the operative word for your first several times at the gym is "fun" ;-) at this point, don't worry about technique, or the taped routes on the wall...DO concentrate on your belaying, but as far as the actual climbing, start at the bottom, and climb to the top. ;-) that's why they call it climbing...

for an extra thrill, look down at your belayer while you're lowering off ;-)

and HAVE FUN!

whitenight

Feb 28, 2003, 3:14 PM
Post #3 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have fun is always the most important part for me. I also like to watch other climbers. I think that it helps because I can see the use of different moves and techniques. Also, some people are just beautiful and graceful when they climb.
[indigo]Good luck and have fun![/indigo]

thegodfather

Feb 28, 2003, 3:18 PM
Post #4 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i agree heartily with said above. climb cause you want to climb, do what you want to do. i can pretty much guarantee that there will be spraylords at your gym. ignore them. when you begin to improve on strength and technique, pick a route thats slightly harder than what you think you can do, and then pick away at it. it may take awhile, but when you finish that, you feel good, and then you can move onto something a little harder. also, dont worry about the ratings in gyms, they are so subjective. just have fun climbing, and do what you wanna do.

staats

mwbtle

Feb 28, 2003, 3:21 PM
Post #5 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to climb all day, make sure you rest properly between climbs. I've tried the all day climbing thing, and if I don't rest, I'm completely done for after about 2 hours.
Otherwise, just what everyone said, have fun with it. And don't get intimidated by the inevitable people who "climb SO hard"...we aren't all like that. :)

arak42

Feb 28, 2003, 3:22 PM
Post #6 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first few times I went to the gym I really didn't care about the ratings and routes and levels I was climbing, I just tied in, used whatever holds were in front of my face and was stoked when I got to the top. I had a blast (obviously. . . I am addicted now!)

Concetrating on becoming comfortable belaying is almost as important as having fun!

:lol: k

katydid

Feb 28, 2003, 3:22 PM
Post #7 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't worry about chasing numbers or how people react if you're climbing only on the "baby wall", if that's where you're comfortable.

Pick stuff that looks fun and give it a try.

Don't be afraid to bail if it's too hard/if you just can't finish.

If something starts to hurt, stop.

Take your time, think about where you're going next.

Double check each other's knots, harnesses, and lockers (important habit to develop), and climb on!

...or head over to the bouldering wall and horse around a bit. As long as you're having a good time and being safe, that's really what matters at this point in the game. The rest will come over time.

Enjoy!

Kate

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 28, 2003, 3:29 PM
Post #8 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just like everyone else said, most importantly have fun, and be safe.

Try to use your feet more than your hands... When new climbers start, it's 90% hands and 10% feet, causing their arms to get pumped quickly. Watch the experienced climbers, and they make it look easy, because they use their feet. (90% feet, and 10% hands.) Think of climbing a ladder... You don't pull yourself up the ladder with your hands, you drive yourself up with your feet, and your hands only keep you from falling backwards.

josephine

Feb 28, 2003, 3:47 PM
Post #9 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As everyone else said Have fun!
Don't use your hands too much,use legs.When i started going to the gym i used too much my hands[my hands though were extremely weak] so i started using my feet...I climb way better now! :mrgreen: When you feel your arms feel tired or hurt[burn]
stop and relax for a while.Double check and becareful the beginner belayers...

gardenfrog

Feb 28, 2003, 3:53 PM
Post #10 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys (and gals) are so awesome!! These are great motivators, and now I am even more excited to go tomorrow! Thank you all! I am going to go and have a blast (with breaks - great idea), and watch others inbetween climbing and belaying my partner. Also, any tips on belaying a partner who weighs more than you? My husband is 210, and I am 140. Any helpful hints?

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 28, 2003, 3:55 PM
Post #11 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tie in... There should be tie in point on the ground that will allow you to tie into one of these. Ask the staff how, even though they should show you.

Don't worry too much though... My wife is about 120 and I weigh 185. She has also belayed people well over 200, and has had no problems. She is experienced though, so she does not panic if she is yanked up belaying a "leader fall", you will only be "top roping".

mwbtle

Feb 28, 2003, 4:00 PM
Post #12 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since you'll be top-roping it won't be TOO much of a problem. And the gym probably has webbing for you to clip in to for an anchor. It may actually be gym policy that you have to anchor in, and they will probably have anchors there for you to clip in to. It may be just a length of webbing tied in knots, or a daisy chain (a loop sewn so you can clip in in various places). And make sure wherever you clip into it isn't so high that you'll still get pulled off the ground. Do ask one of the gym attendants about it, just because its hard to explain without visuals. You may have learned about it in your class, I'm not sure.

On lead its different, but you don't need to worry about that yet.

mikedano

Feb 28, 2003, 4:26 PM
Post #13 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WARNING: Getting technical advice from the Web can be dangerous. Check with another trusted source before using.

If it turns out that you have troubled belaying your husband due to the weight factor, it might be a good idea to give your belay device more friction. With most belay devices (like the kind with two holes) you can do this by using two carabiners instead of one.

Also, don't worry too much about climbing ratings. Everything is subjective.

have fun!

katydid

Feb 28, 2003, 4:29 PM
Post #14 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My husband weighs about 100 pounds more than I do, and I've never had a problem holding him on a fall (but if you think you'd feel safer with a floor anchor, ask a gym employee to set one up for you so it's done right). The trick is -- if you think he's going to fall, sit back in your harness to oppose his weight and hold on with your legs (put your legs into it like you're doing a wall sit if you need to, but usually your own body weight is enough). Have him climb up a few feet, sit yourself back, and have him let go to give it a try. Odds are pretty good you won't go anywhere.

k.

hoppinbig

Feb 28, 2003, 4:32 PM
Post #15 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you wanna fit in wear spandex with a thong on top - kinda like the 80's aerobics look - retro is in!

robbovius

Feb 28, 2003, 8:46 PM
Post #16 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My climbing parner weighs 95 lbs, and I'm 195...she always clips in to the floor anchors to belay me, and sometimes she takes a short ride even then, if I fall ;-)

dunno about the gym you're going to , but the ones I frequent have anchors there, and some REQUIRE that you use them, no matter your experience or relative weights...

work your belay technique, and again, HAVE FUN!

petsfed

Feb 28, 2003, 9:00 PM
Post #17 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And try to work the words "sick" "heinous" "classic" "bomber" and "exposure" into your vocabulary. Half the people there won't be able to understand you if you say "I climbed the red and green taped problem over there and found it quite difficult. The most difficult part was the lunge to the largely incut hold at the top" Instead say, "I did that rad red-green there. It was sick, and the dyno to the jug is classic!"

nthusiastj

Feb 28, 2003, 9:11 PM
Post #18 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the weight difference:
My partner usually clips the bottom of her belay carabiner (or another carabiner in her belay loop) into a daisy chain anchored from the floor. That way the floor anchor takes all of the weight.
They are all over the floor at our gyms. The staff should be able to help you out on this.

g.g.32-82
Deleted

Mar 1, 2003, 6:51 PM
Post #19 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

awesome! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to climbing. you'll be a gym rat before you know it. I suggest cloth tape and plenty of stretching before anything. :lol:

[Get crazy with the cheese wiz!- Beck]

dupree

Mar 1, 2003, 7:38 PM
Post #20 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

** [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If there's something you're curious about at the gym...just ask someone. Most people are only too happy to help!

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook