First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

renhoek

Mar 11, 2003, 7:43 PM
Post #1 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

boycott french gear [??]
Report this Post
Can't Post

with frances recent disaproval of a war with iraq ppl have started to call french fries freedom fries and also not buy french wine or cheese grey goose vodka and so on. i was wondering if there are any climbers who think that french gear should stop being used. personally i am against war and think the term freedom fries sounds retarded as all anything and personnally i also agree with france and i would consider moving to canada except im a minor so its not that easy but i just wanted to know if any one cared or would stop using french gear.

ontario_guide

Mar 11, 2003, 7:48 PM
Post #2 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

boycott french gear [??] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, moving to Canada probably won't help you much. We already have a couple of ships in the Gulf and are sending 2,000 troops to Afghanistan and probably more to Iraq when the time comes but in answer to your question, there probably are people who are boycotting French gear. That seems a bit shortsighted though. The less dependant the French economy is on the US the more they will be willing to resist. What the US should have done was to try and integrate the economies to such a point that they could actually threaten the French with something.

vegastradguy

Mar 11, 2003, 7:49 PM
Post #3 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i buy the best and safest gear. i could care less where it comes from. i'm putting my life on it, i need it to be safe. who cares if it's french?

flying_dutchman

Mar 11, 2003, 7:51 PM
Post #4 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boycott american gear, they are the ones driving for all out war against another conutry for the sake of oil.

rainer_henfling

Mar 11, 2003, 7:52 PM
Post #5 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, petzl is french, for example...anyone there who hasnīt got anything made by petzl??

ontario_guide

Mar 11, 2003, 7:53 PM
Post #6 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why don't we boycott Iraqi gear? Hey wait....

Partner cracklover

Mar 11, 2003, 7:56 PM
Post #7 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HAHAHAHAHAHA! And Omega Pacific, too. And, let's see, Clog cams - aren't they Eastern European?

GO

ontario_guide

Mar 11, 2003, 7:57 PM
Post #8 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know, the way this is going, Canadian climbing companies are in for a field day!

da5id

Mar 11, 2003, 8:00 PM
Post #9 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

two things:

1. France (and Russia for that matter) opposes war with Iraq not because it is a freedom-loving, peaceful country, but because they have oil deals with Saddam that would be ruptured in the war. Oil drives not only the impetus for war, but also the opposition to it!!!!

2. Boycotting french climbing goods?!?! Are you kidding me? That's just not cool. If it's good climbing gear, buy it, if not, don't buy it. The government can't tell you what to buy or what not to buy, and they're not trying to. Besides, french cheese is really good...

ontario_guide

Mar 11, 2003, 8:06 PM
Post #10 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as I know, Russia has way more oil then Iraq does. Russia has much more to lose by angering in the US. Russia is trying, or has already (I lost track), been trying to secure multi-billion dollar deals with US firms to develop Russias oil and Gas reserves. France relies almost entirely on the US for refined oil products such as gasoline. If there are some agreements between France and Iraq and Russia and Iraq perhaps you could direct me to a source where I might read about them so that I can educate myself on the topic.

Secondly, the government can tell you what to buy and what not to buy. Thanks to the American population falling asleep after 9/11 and the passing of the "Patriot Act", civil liberties are a thing of the past. Maybe you might want to ask the ACLU about this.

baldguy

Mar 11, 2003, 8:08 PM
Post #11 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would hope everybody would agree with vegastradguy. I can't think of a more asinine reason to boycott anything since, as you see posts constantly declaring in these forums, safety should be the number one concern. When your life is saved by a peice of gear - it doesn't matter where it came from. (Not that I would really know ... and hope to never find out).

That said, I think politics and climbing are like water and oil. I haven't heard too many political discussions out at the crags, or even in the gym and I'm thankful for it.

Now, I'm off to buy some Evian and brie ... and maybe even some Moet.

ontario_guide

Mar 11, 2003, 8:10 PM
Post #12 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps we should end this discussion before it begins. It is just going to take us down a one-way street and end up in American or French bashing.

renhoek

Mar 12, 2003, 2:19 AM
Post #13 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a petzl harness and im not about to stop using cuase then id have to get another. any way i got the idea for the thread from my comp teacher who is french and i was checking out the site and she commented that climbing is popular in france and i said my harness is french and she was like are you going to boycott it and i was like no cause id have to get a new one and as much as i hate the french i think that they have a point in not supporting a war for whatever reasons the have

john1987

Mar 12, 2003, 2:22 AM
Post #14 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has everyone been eating their liberty cabbage? Suport the cause. :lol:

madriver

Mar 12, 2003, 3:31 AM
Post #15 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump

madriver

Mar 12, 2003, 3:47 AM
Post #16 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump

sharpie

Mar 13, 2003, 11:30 PM
Post #17 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A lot of the Petzl gear is not even made in France anyway. Like many other companies they market goods under their brand name that are actually produced by a third party manufacturer. Petzl biners for example are made in Utah, USA...

sharpie

Mar 13, 2003, 11:33 PM
Post #18 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And, let's see, Clog cams - aren't they Eastern European?

GO

I thought Clog cams were made in the UK? :?:

no_limit

Mar 14, 2003, 1:00 AM
Post #19 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If people want to boycott FRENCH fries, why don't they send the statue of liberty back to France, as well. It makes no sense that WW2 veterans are sending back certificates of valour the French gave them, but still cry for the red, white and blue when they see the statue of liberty.

NO SENSE AT ALL :roll:

easysteve

Mar 14, 2003, 3:19 AM
Post #20 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Started???? They've been called that for a while longer than that... Don't you watch the news?

Seriously, they're not the only country backing out. Get your shit right.
What about China??? Everything's fucking made in China.

highrustler

Apr 1, 2003, 12:09 AM
Post #21 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Allright, I am just going to come out and say this. French People can suck my dick. Thats right, fuck all you frenchies. Several trips to France already angered me when you would swear at me for asking you where a street was, what the fuck is your problem? Have you absolutely no kindness in your heart? Now this, trying to put the blame on us that we are killing for oil, when you are the ones that have large deals going on with iraq for oil. Chirac has met with Saddam personally in the past years on this. You guys are all fucking cowards. I can't wait for the next time you ask us to rescue your asses with our own blood because you are all pussies. Oh you hate American culture huh? Then why the fuck do you have a disneyland outside of paris? Fuck all of you.

-Sorry for all you anti war protestors, but somebody had to say it

highrustler

Apr 1, 2003, 12:12 AM
Post #22 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why is everything censored on here? is that because it is a public computer, or is that the moderators? It even changed pssies to cats! haha

madriver

Apr 1, 2003, 12:14 AM
Post #23 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump

styndall

Apr 1, 2003, 3:20 AM
Post #24 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Allright, I am just going to come out and say this. French People can suck my dick. Thats right, f___ all you frenchies. Several trips to France already angered me when you would swear at me for asking you where a street was, what the f___ is your problem? Have you absolutely no kindness in your heart? Now this, trying to put the blame on us that we are killing for oil, when you are the ones that have large deals going on with iraq for oil. Chirac has met with Saddam personally in the past years on this. You guys are all f___ cowards. I can't wait for the next time you ask us to rescue your asses with our own blood because you are all cats. Oh you hate American culture huh? Then why the f___ do you have a disneyland outside of paris? f___ all of you.

-Sorry for all you anti war protestors, but somebody had to say it

America has class.

really

somewhere

highrustler

Apr 1, 2003, 3:54 AM
Post #25 of 27 (957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I am well traveled, and really enjoy learning about differant cultures. I pay attention to what is going on in the world, I am not just one of those "typical" Americans that every country thinks of us as. I Infact was an exhange student to Spain and Germany to broaden my view on the world. Typically I would never attack a culture like this, but when a country uses politics like this is just pisses me off. I probably came off very harsh in that post, because that just really angers me
D

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook