RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

gyngve

Mar 12, 2003, 12:11 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2436 views)
Shortcut

Croll ascender
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

PtPP advocates it as part of the Petzl frog ascending system.

It seems to me one disadvantage of the Croll is that it's not as versatile for hauling systems, racheting pulleys, etc. It has larger holes to facilitate positioning on the body, and it doesn't have as large of a guide enclosing the rope. The instructions for the Croll do not have any diagrams showing hauling systems, racheting pulleys, etc., but the instructions for the Basic and the Ascension do. So this makes me think that the Croll is not intended to be used for those purposes. Opinions?

Now the other side is: can a Petzl Basic be used in the frog system. I'm envisioning: a carabiner attaching the bottom of the Basic to the waist harness, a carabiner attaching the top of the basic to a short perlon loop, and that perlon loop clipping into a chest harness. Anyone see any issues with this? (I'd test it out if I had access to a Basic and a Croll).

onamission116

Mar 12, 2003, 2:07 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2436 views)
Shortcut

Croll ascender [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dunno man, I just use regular petzl jugs.

passthepitonspete

Mar 12, 2003, 3:38 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your comments are all valid.

The Croll is perfect for frogging, but limited in other applications.

The Basic is certainly more versatile.

You can use ANY ascender in the frog system, as long as it is mounted low, sits reasonably flat against your pubic bone, and you are somewhat "hunched over" when you try to stand upright.

The Petzl C26 Torse is the best fifteen bucks you'll ever buy.

If I could only afford one other ascender, I'd buy a Basic and somehow make it work in the Frog.

Somewhere in the aid forum there was just this question. Maybe someone else can find the link, eh?

Cheers,

Pete

bigwallben

Mar 12, 2003, 3:50 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The Petzl C26 Torse is the best fifteen bucks you'll ever buy.

Pete,
What is this? I went to the Petzl website and could not find it.

Ben

passthepitonspete

Mar 12, 2003, 4:56 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ben,

You can find most everything you need to know by clicking on the Index to Dr. Piton Stuff.

Like, that's why I made it, eh? Specifically to avoid repetitive posts like this one. [HINT]

You can click here to read about the Petzl Torse chest harness to use in the Frog system.

And you can click here to Ask Dr. Piton about... substituting the Basic for the Croll.

Cheers,

Pete

P.S. If you have further questions about using the Basic or using the Torse, would you please put them in their respective posts linked above, rather than here?

Thanks!

drunkenmonkey

Mar 12, 2003, 7:44 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The croll is certainly limited when it comes to hauling systems etc but it is the business when jugging hanging lines. practice until you can switch from one ascending system to another quickly and efficiently and you will save yourself a whole world of pain. thast my pennies worth

take it easy

gyngve

Mar 12, 2003, 8:17 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ben,

You can find most everything you need to know by clicking on the Index to Dr. Piton Stuff.

Like, that's why I made it, eh? Specifically to avoid repetitive posts like this one. [HINT]

You can click here to read about the Petzl Torse chest harness to use in the Frog system.

And you can click here to Ask Dr. Piton about... substituting the Basic for the Croll.

Cheers,

Pete

P.S. If you have further questions about using the Basic or using the Torse, would you please put them in their respective posts linked above, rather than here?

Thanks!

Ah, cool! I missed those posts in your archive... I only found the "the Better way to jug" thread.

btw - the other day my friend did his first aid "lead" (on top-rope for safety -- mainly so he could get the feel of the motions and how easy it is to clusterf*ck). It was raining, and there was a slug on the wall next to him. If we measured in respective body lengths, the slug was moving faster. :)

Partner philbox

Mar 12, 2003, 10:11 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ah, cool! I missed those posts in your archive... I only found the "the Better way to jug" thread.

btw - the other day my friend did his first aid "lead" (on top-rope for safety -- mainly so he could get the feel of the motions and how easy it is to clusterf*ck). It was raining, and there was a slug on the wall next to him. If we measured in respective body lengths, the slug was moving faster. :)

Have you been looking over my shoulder. I hate it when slugs beat me up the wall.
...Phil...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook