Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
Any suggestions routes for a new leader in southern NE?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

robr

Mar 12, 2003, 4:00 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1264 views)
Shortcut

Any suggestions routes for a new leader in southern NE?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am just starting leading and am looking for good easy routes with good pro. Any suggestions would be great.

redpoint73

Mar 12, 2003, 4:14 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1264 views)
Shortcut

Any suggestions routes for a new leader in southern NE? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How far south are you looking for? Where are you? Upper Refuse (5.5), Funhouse (5.7?) are great classic easy climbs at Cathedral Ledge in NH. But both are usually crowded on the weekend (especially Upper Refuse), so hit them on a weekday if possible. There are many other easy routes at Cathedral as well. There are some decent moderate climbs at Ragged Mountain in CT.

robr

Mar 12, 2003, 4:23 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, I am in CT so cathedral is kind of far for just the day but I am hopping to get there soon. Raged sounds good, but I am also woundering about the Gunks they arn't that far.

redpoint73

Mar 12, 2003, 4:36 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ohhhh! The Gunks! Tons of nice moderate routes at the Gunks with solid pro! Definitely try to get there. But be prepared to tone down the rating of climbs you are doing. The Gunks are seriously about 2 number grades sandbag. There are so many routes that would be perfect for you, I can't even start to think. Bunny (5.4), and Horseman (5.5) come to mind. Many of the routes are 2 pitches and require you to rap with 2 ropes, so make sure you know how.

madturtle

Mar 12, 2003, 4:53 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Bunny for a good first lead it is about 90' of 5.4 with a 5.6 variation roof you could go over or around. Good gear the whole way up and a mammoth tree at the top to use as a belay. Better yet break it into 2 50' pitches if you are comfortable w/ that at the smaller tree half way up. Walk down a little further and hit rotadendrin (5.6) and another 5.5 or .6 right next to it both about 60-70'. Laurel is good too @ 5.7 but has a little bit of a tricky start and a #2 camelot is a little too small at the top of the crack making a small runout or bring a #3. Horseman is an intimidating 5.5 which is an awesome climb but not a great first lead IMO. Other good ones are sixish (5.4), minty, 3 pines and beginners delight are 5.3 if you are comfortable w/ multipitch stuff but technically not difficult. Feel free to pm me if you want any more specific beta. Also check out gunks.com for specifics. Good luck :D .

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook