RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

eclarke98

Mar 14, 2003, 6:25 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1289 views)
Shortcut

Lover's Leap / Tahoe aid climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone have reccomendations of some aid climbs at Lover's Leap or the surrounding Lake Tahoe area. I just have the old Carville guide book and it lists very few aid routes. Thanks.

joebuzz

Mar 14, 2003, 7:52 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1289 views)
Shortcut

Tahoe Aid routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If your going to be in Sac. for a while, drive up to Donner Summit rather than The Leap for good aid routes. I lived in Truckee for a long time and learned to aid up at Donner. The most important thing is: These are all free climbs, they all go clean and any nailing is Absolutely Out OF The Question! Start at Snowshed Wall at Donner. Try Molar Concentration, Carl's Gym, Peter Principle and Crack of the Eighties. There is a classic over at N. Star Wall called "Star Wars Crack", it goes free at 5.13 but can be aided at C1/2. It's straight in crack, but overhung to maybe 120 degrees.
There is also a four pitch route on Black Wall called "Imaginary Voyage". This is a great full day affair. Be careful, there is groudfall potential on the first pitch traverse over a ledge( Again, NO NAILING!).
Finally, I did what I believe to be a first ascent a couple of years ago just west of Donner( closer to Sac.), that I would love someone to repeat. It is on a total "Choss Pile" of a wall and is All Nailing. If interested, take the Rainbow Lodge turnoff, find the lodge and keep going west for a mile, no more than two. You will see an 80- 100 ft. wall on the right, in between the East & Westbound lanes of I-80. Find a "thin seam" that runs top to bottom on the climber's left of the wall. I left a couple of fixed heads at around 70 ft. It may or may not have been done since I was there, the heads may be gone. The route is all nailing on tied-off blades, rurps, peckers,etc. There are maybe two semi-dependable pieces in 90 ft. I think Dr. Piton would rate it PDH/DFU, It has Serious Groundfall potential so be careful. I'd be stoked for someone to repeat it just to tell me what they thought.
Mostly, just go have some fun. Remember, except for the last these are all free climbs, so respect them as such.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook