RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

timpanogos

Mar 14, 2003, 2:12 AM
Post #1 of 12 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, is there anyone in the SLC area that might have a portaledge that I could borrow or rent for a week?

I have disappeared off into a very stressfull work stint that will be done in about 3 weeks (I'm off to Japan first thing in the Morning). Been working crazy hours. If Andrew does not have Plans for me when I get back, I want to go for another solo attempt somewhere - Pete style - a pitch a day if I have to.

Thanks in advance for any help in finding me a loaner/renter.

Chad

bigwalling

Mar 14, 2003, 2:43 AM
Post #2 of 12 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why the HELL Pete style? Climbing stuff that slow is a waste! One pitch a day is nuts. If it takes you a full day to lead a normal A3 pitch you have some issues.

Partner euroford

Mar 14, 2003, 3:03 AM
Post #3 of 12 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i say why not, maximize your vertical camping pleasure.

timpanogos

Mar 14, 2003, 3:05 AM
Post #4 of 12 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, yea, I guess I have issues.

I've only been out a few times at local crags aid climbing. April 15th or so will be my 1st year anniversary in the climbing sport. I did a solo attempt of Prodigal Son a little while back and was just too slow – only got first pitch in a day, and only had 2 days to climb it – I bailed.

Yea I know anybody can climb Prodigal in a day. But me, I figure it might be my crash course in really perfecting a system for me, and getting my speed up, but go ready to hit the top, even if I’m slow as heck for the first couple of pitches until I work things out.

Anyway, I’m cooked from 16-hour days for the last month or so, and need to get lost with some comp. Time when I get back from Japan.

I am also interested in joining someone that might be looking for a partner Mid April on. Just need to get away – and another solo attempt does sound good – I’d like to succeed this time and go ready to spend what ever time is needed to be so.

Chad

epic_ed

Mar 14, 2003, 4:01 AM
Post #5 of 12 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Was wondering where you've been. Good to see you back. So I guess you never bought that BD double, huh? Probably a good call. If I lived closer, I'd let you use mine. Probably not worth the shipping cost, though. PM me if you want to discuss.

Ed

apollodorus

Mar 16, 2003, 4:31 AM
Post #6 of 12 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The PTPP method is NOT to take all day to lead one pitch of A3. It's to get up late, drink coffee, eat. Snooze. Play the boombox. Drink more coffee. Get up, decide it's still too cold, and get back in the sleeping bag. Late morning: finally get out of the sleeping bag. Do one or two pitches, maybe fix, or maybe haul and set up the next bivi. Cook dinner (that's what the stove's for, eh?), eat, drink an OE or Guiness, and fall asleep.

Some people think that PTPP doesn't do climbs on the NW face of Half Dome because of the Death March approach. That's NOT the main reason. The main reason, is that the sun doesn't hit that face until late afternoon, and only for a very short time. So, he would be stranded in his sleeping bag at the same bivi for days at a time.

mesomorf

Mar 16, 2003, 5:09 AM
Post #7 of 12 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not to be a PTPP detractor once removed, but Half Dome has a south face too.

copperhead

Mar 16, 2003, 7:09 AM
Post #8 of 12 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The PTPP method is NOT to take all day to lead one pitch of A3. It's to get up late, drink coffee, eat. Snooze. Play the boombox. Drink more coffee. Get up, decide it's still too cold, and get back in the sleeping bag. Late morning: finally get out of the sleeping bag. Do one or two pitches, maybe fix, or maybe haul and set up the next bivi. Cook dinner (that's what the stove's for, eh?), eat, drink an OE or Guiness, and fall asleep.

Some people think that PTPP doesn't do climbs on the NW face of Half Dome because of the Death March approach. That's NOT the main reason. The main reason, is that the sun doesn't hit that face until late afternoon, and only for a very short time. So, he would be stranded in his sleeping bag at the same bivi for days at a time.

Thank you for proving our point. Now how about those stainless rivets...?

apollodorus

Mar 16, 2003, 10:47 AM
Post #9 of 12 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Both TRs I've read about the South Face of Half Dome ended in near-death and helicopter rescues. That side must be jinxed.

The rivet reply belongs in the rivet thread.

poindexter

Mar 17, 2003, 6:15 PM
Post #10 of 12 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If it is going to take you 8 days to do a trade route like prodigal sun, all I got to say is I will be in the bar 7 days earlier than you.

bigdan

Mar 17, 2003, 11:58 PM
Post #11 of 12 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fast or slow, good luck.

climbhigher

Apr 4, 2003, 2:45 AM
Post #12 of 12 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good LUCK!!! Timpognas. Who cares how long it takes!!! What my wall partner and i always say is "Don't come back until it's done!!!"

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook