RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

onamission116

Mar 18, 2003, 4:45 PM
Post #1 of 6 (933 views)
Shortcut

Dasiy Set Up
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I learned to girth hitch each daisy by looping it through both the leg and waist loops of the harness individually, but a very reliable source taught me to just hitch both through the belay loop. He said this was better, since the harness is made to sit a certain way and have the girh hitch through the leg loops individually constricts the set up, which is generally not a good idea. Does either way make a difference? I figured that just girth hitching to the belay loop was not a good idea since it is only a single point of connection to the harness and is therefore not redundant. What do most of you guys do? Also, would such tight g-hitch (as that formed when cinched around the belay loop) cause the spectra to weaken due to higher tension? This last bit is hard to illustrate but you probably get the idea. Thanks :)

dingus

Mar 18, 2003, 4:53 PM
Post #2 of 6 (933 views)
Shortcut

Dasiy Set Up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe the belay loop is valuable real estate when aid climbing. Seems like I'm always clipping things to it. It gets crowded even without the addition of daiseys and fifi's.

So my take is the girth hitch through the leg loopps thing may cramp my style a bit, but taking up more space on the belay loop will cramp it more. Your mileage and style probably differ considerably!

DMT

neomagi

Mar 18, 2003, 5:10 PM
Post #3 of 6 (933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i put my hitch through both points. i also put a biner though both points, and my tie in. so 4 things through those points. it is going to be traffic either place, i just like to keep my loop open for my grigri.

leader2

Mar 18, 2003, 5:16 PM
Post #4 of 6 (933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Through just the belay loop is not a good idea. The fabric on fabric causes
alot of friction, this could cause the belay loop to burn through.

wigglestick

Mar 18, 2003, 5:25 PM
Post #5 of 6 (933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Girth hitch them to the belay loop if you want. The fabric to fabric rubbing will be less than the fabric to fabric rubbing of the daisy passing through the leg loops and the waistbelt. Although either way is acceptable. Although, like Dingus said, space on the belay loop is precious real estate. Especially when soloing. By the time you attach 2 daisies, a fifi, and a grigri/solo device it can become a clusterphuck pretty quickly.

epic_ed

Mar 18, 2003, 6:00 PM
Post #6 of 6 (933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The upper point of the swami and the lower leg loop of the harness generally have some sort of abrasion resistant fabric stiched on them to reduce wear and tear. The belay loop doesn't and will wear out faster if you attach your daisies to it. That said, I find I have way too much sh!t going through both points on my harness -- the rope, the fifi (to keep it as close and tight as possible), one locking biner, and one regular daisy. It's a pain in the ass to run my two lead daisies through it, too. I use three daisies. Two Metolius easy daisies (each attached to a pair of aiders), and one full strength long pocketed daisy. The full strength daisy goes through both points in my harness and I use this "floating" daisy when placing gear really high so I won't drop it. Also use it to initially anchor in at the belay (and then make the rope my primary anchor tie-in). The easy daisies get girth hitched to my belay loop. I've coated the belay loop with plasti-dip to give it some abrasion resistance.

Ed

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook