RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

dhoyne

Dec 17, 2001, 9:11 PM
Post #1 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

RC.com pictures
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Did anyone else notice that the "featured photo" on rc.com only rotates between like 4 or 5 photos? How about a random sample of all the pics on the site?

Partner camhead

Dec 17, 2001, 9:29 PM
Post #2 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

RC.com pictures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know. Most of the pix that i have submitted suck, and I probably wouldn't want them on the main page..

elcapbuzz

Dec 17, 2001, 9:44 PM
Post #3 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've noticed photo's like "shroomin" last night it was rated 10.0. Now, I'm not knocking anybody, but the guys on top rope climbing a sport climb that's been sent a thousand times, and the quality of the photo is not that good. Now, it's down around 6.?, but why was it a 10 in the first place. There are a lot of quality shots, taken on the first ascent, in PROUD style, that get buried so deep that you'll probably never even see them. Yea, I agree. Someone should do somthing.

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 18, 2001, 2:24 AM
Post #4 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It will be rated at the first vote, and an average of the votes after that.

rrrADAM
p.s. BTW, that's me on TR.

saltspringer

Dec 18, 2001, 8:06 AM
Post #5 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One solution may be to add another option to the photo submissions form: do you want the photo in the Gallery or not? A lot of pics are more for reference of features, topos, etc...and some are just personal interest; so, maybe members should be given the option of a) whether or not they want their pics in the gallery b) in the route's area description but not in the gallery or c) listed as a pesonal photo only. The pics in the gallery would receive votes & be ranked and the others would just be listed with the rest of the info on a route, area, etc...

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 18, 2001, 8:39 AM
Post #6 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We can do this when we approve photos. We can make it so that it cannot be voted on.

I did this with my wedding pic, after I Karen and I both voted it 1's... It still showed up on the front page, and I don't think it belongs there as it is not a climbing photo.

rrrADAM

cass

Dec 18, 2001, 1:50 PM
Post #7 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kinda related matter
when you vote, you have to go back 2 clicks to get to the list, can you not be brought back to the list when you have voted?

krillen

Dec 18, 2001, 3:07 PM
Post #8 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The thing I want to know is when you submit the photo, who has a first vote on it? I submitted some photos that will definately not win any prizes, I'd objectively give them a 6 out of 10. but they were set at 2 & 3 for no real reason. Whereas you get some grainy shots of a guy on TR (no specific reference, just and example) that gets a crazy rating. Unless you get a whack of people to vote a photo 10 after a low vote, or even a couple low votes, your shots get lost in the quagmire at the bottom of the ratings scale.

Also I'd like to see a true 1-10 scale, esp. since the grades are based on average votes. There's a HUGE gap between 3-6. crappy and somewhat alraight.

Partner russman

Dec 18, 2001, 3:08 PM
Post #9 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here we go. The photos on the front page rotate with teh "top ten" reated photos in the gallery. If you don't think a certain photo should be on the front page vote it low but vote teh one you want there high. Pretty easy to do for those who regularly look and vote on the pix. That way the general public of our site get to "choose" which photos will be on the main page.

As far as your ? cass...I would suggest jsut clicking on the "photo" on either teh top of side navigation bar. The only proablem is that if you are like on page 15 when you vote and then you click on the photo link...it will take you back to the first page. GOod luck...

Happy Holidays All
The Russman and Family

bart

Dec 20, 2001, 9:30 PM
Post #10 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the idea to choose if you want your picture in the gallery or not. I had already suggested something similar, but it didn't change. I would like to see more different pictures on the main page too.

passthepitonspete

Dec 20, 2001, 9:33 PM
Post #11 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, so riddle me this, Russman

Adam's photo of the Gunks was brilliant. A 9 that would have been a 10 were only the sun shining.

Other photos have been mediocre at best, yet lately they almost all bear the name of our dear web admin. Evidently this has not escaped the attention of others.

So tell me what is the trick? There has to be a gimmick. There has to be a way to manipulate the numbers so that YOUR photo can make it to the front page.

Give up the beta, dude!

climb512

Dec 20, 2001, 9:54 PM
Post #12 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

with so many pics in the "archives" why not make it running slide show as it now, only with all the pics. while the spotting the girl bouldering is a classic and adams shot on high e is great, some variety(with pics and users) would be nice.

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 20, 2001, 10:01 PM
Post #13 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep it at 5 votes... This makes it more representative of the user concenceous. Maybe expand it to the top 10.

If we go lower than 2 votes, or higher than 10, maybe this is even too many, we'll end up with pictures of topo and mug shots or puppies on the front page. I and Karen voted 1's for our wedding pic 'cause it didn't belong on the front page, but people voted it well and it still showed up. I had to lower the ranking and change it to no votes to keep it off the front page.

elcapbuzz

Dec 20, 2001, 10:04 PM
Post #14 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with passthepitonspete. IN FACT, I feel someone is sabotaging my photos. I can't find my most recent photos that I submited, in the main gallery. I found some of them linked to the east face of El Cap, but you can't vote on them. What's going on. Is someone afraid of having attention not focused on them? I apologize if this is not the case. It's just that I've spent a lot of time (and others time trying to help me) with these photos. Most of them are first ascent shots of future test pieces or something that no one else in the world has done. In other words, they are worth seeing. The politics of this site is really getting under my skin.

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 20, 2001, 10:51 PM
Post #15 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why think "sabotage" ???

Which photos ??? I'll fix them. And if you submitted them, then you should've put the links in yourself, so they should be linked to where you wanted them.

~Adam

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 20, 2001, 11:03 PM
Post #16 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Found and fixed the 3 pics linked to the El Cap page, they were not approved correctly.

Try to ask for help a little more diplomatically elcapbuzz, I'm glad to help if I can. But it makes no sense to jump to the conspiracy theories first, when whomever approved them did it incorrectly.

You know the saying... "you catch more flies with sugar than with vinager". Or something like that. Every Admin and Editor here works at their duties here for free... Since I've been doing this, 75% of my time online is devoted to helping users on this site. That means that only 25% I get to enjoy this site.

We do this for free, and to have our integrity questioned is kind of a slap in the face for all our efforts. Of that 75% online, we find ourselves wasting time having to remind users what they should already know. i.e. Where to place nonclimbing posts, how to correctly submit pics... All this they can get by reading before clicking 'submit', but we patiently remind the one's who don't take the time to get it right the 3rd, 4th, and 5th times.

~Adam

Partner russman

Dec 21, 2001, 2:58 AM
Post #17 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrradam is right, if everyone votes for their own photo jsut once it will recieve a 10 and thus be on the front page...if everyone wants to see differnt photos they start ranking every photo that you look at. Of if you don't want one ot be voted on let us know in the description when you submit it and we will delete the note and make it so.

As for your Prob Ammon, still not sure...drop myself of adam a note with the areas that they are in now and we can look at them. I thougth they were gone all together? Let us know.

Sorry I can only give you the most basic of answers, but sometimes the problems we make teh hardest have the simplest and most overlooked of answers

jaydoc

Dec 22, 2001, 12:32 AM
Post #18 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that the saying is that, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." Truth is, you can catch even more with a dead cat.

I don't think that there is a problem with posting the pictures that are rated highly to the front page, but there are hundreds of great pics on this site that would look good there. I don't really care who's in them, I'd just like to see more of them in a random fashion.

Thanks for reminding me 4, 5, and 6 times where to post stuff. I appreciate it (even though I bet you call me names when you do.

And yes, I stole the dead cat line from Woody on "Cheers".

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 27, 2001, 12:53 AM
Post #19 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK... I think the current system for featuring photos is good as is... But I'm even getting sick of seeing MY shots on the front page... We need more submissions from users.

rrrADAM

compclimber

Dec 27, 2001, 3:13 AM
Post #20 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look at this pic and tell me why it hasnt made the front page. It's an awesome shot, deserving of the front page at least.

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 27, 2001, 6:47 AM
Post #21 of 21 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cass... use the backspace button on your computer... it's quicker.

rrrADAM

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook