RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

superbum

Mar 27, 2003, 12:24 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2342 views)
Shortcut

Acme Climbing Protection Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking into the Acme Climbing DLX and basic leader's package:

http://www.acmeclimbing.com/html/packages.html

and I'm wondering if anyone has any experiance with their robot cams, and their Rocks nuts and their Exentric hexes. I would love to save some cash, but should I go for ABC or BD instead? Why? This is also my first rack.

Partner one900johnnyk

Mar 27, 2003, 2:08 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2342 views)
Shortcut

Acme Climbing Protection Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

forum search, my good man.

many people will tell you that they are great (robots walk a little) and hold up just fine and are very comparable to the name brands. save the money, they will say.

others will suggest you buy name brand b/c it may be more durable, easier to use, and who would want to get something they'll just end up selling on ebay...

after reading all the replies you will decide to save the money and go ahead and get the cheap gear, because hell... money's money.

another warning, though. do not listen to the people who say the extra money is worth your life. they are being dramatic (you will realize this quickly) because the other gear is very safe. the double axled cams even are much stronger than singled, i believe... enjoy

mojorisin

Mar 27, 2003, 2:54 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Alien cams, there not a budget cam but every rack should have some. at least the blue, yellow and green, not so much the bigger ones. Just my humble opinion. :roll:

dig_scott

Mar 28, 2003, 2:32 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ill secound the aliens but dont have any yet. these are great for horizontal placements. they are small cams.

cyberclimber

Mar 28, 2003, 2:55 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a set of the Robots cams and the Rocks nuts, they are good dependable gear. The finish isn't as nice as more expensive gear, so if you like to sit around the base, play with your gear and try to impress tourons,,, then you may need the more stylish gear. If you are buying to climb without dying,,, then it is all solid gear that you can and I do trust with life. That said, the gear isn't perfect. The biggest cam has too narrow of an axle and thus tends to walk a bit and the Rocks have a greater curve than I like, so I usually reach for my BD nuts first, but the Rocks are great as a second set and sometimes will fit better in certain placements than the BD ones will. I have no experience with the Hexentrics, but you can't beat the price and I personally always carry a set of the larger size hexes and use them quite often, plus they sound so cool.
Hope this helps.
J.C.

rockmx

Mar 28, 2003, 3:40 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have 37 Cams, from WC, BD, Aliens, Metolius TCU, FCU and 2 Robots, I Always find a place in the crack for my Robots, they are GOOD cams...

rodeomountain

Mar 28, 2003, 4:34 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought that same set and they're just as good as anything else. The smaller slung hexes suck only b/c it is too hard to get them in place. I would suggest throwing those away and either get small wired hexes or more nuts, nuts being the better choice in my mind.

Saving money is the way to go to build a rack fast then you can fill in with more expensive gear later, after you deside what else your going to need. I would definately recommend getting the smaller Aliens, cause it seems that the robots have a gap between the micros (.25-.75) and the robots (1-5).

straightedgeteen

Mar 28, 2003, 9:36 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aliens are most definalty my fave.... im about to buy a set haha 280 for 8 of them haha

fritzski

Mar 28, 2003, 9:50 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some of those "package deals" those retailers hawk are kind of bogus. At best they equal the same price of the stuff bought separately, and at worst its even more.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook