RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

onelung

Apr 1, 2003, 6:17 AM
Post #1 of 5 (947 views)
Shortcut

Thank You Ecrin Roc!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Today I had a great time soloing. I was up half way on a route and out of nowhere I got smacked right square on the head. Didn't feel like much but as I looked I saw a rock about the size of a baseball land below me.
It was if a buddy slapped me on the head. Easy stuff.....But Damn, without my good friend Ecrin Roc I swear that bolt would have rocked me!

When I dumped my cycle I remember My head slammin the ground (the incident where I was named "Onelung") Wow, What a hit and how good the helmet felt. Today I stand amazed at how square that thing hit me and again, I am so glad I had the skull cap on!

Its your choice...I'll wear mine!
Bill

jhb

Apr 1, 2003, 7:25 AM
Post #2 of 5 (947 views)
Shortcut

Thank You Ecrin Roc! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This last weekend in the Alabama Hills I knocked a fist size rock off from 60ft up a moderate crack, I guess the routes out there see less traffic than I thought. It landed 6ft from my partner.......he was not wearing a helmet. He then promptly asked his girlfriend to grab it for him. Always wear your brain bucket!!!

simzboardr

Apr 1, 2003, 7:23 PM
Post #3 of 5 (947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You cant go wrong wiht the Ecrin Rock....the only helmet i ever wear. Love the strenght

jerrygarcia

Apr 1, 2003, 7:39 PM
Post #4 of 5 (947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Usually when I take people caving for their first time they complain about wearing a helmet. I tell them when they hit their helmet on the ceiling to say "thank you helmet". By the time we are out they have all realized that they would be in surgery right now if they didnt wear one.

veilneb

Apr 1, 2003, 7:46 PM
Post #5 of 5 (947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two weeks ago, my buddy and I were climbing at the gunks. We had just finished the rap and were pulling the ropes. The tail of the rope was coming down fast and it whipped a rock from a ledge 100 feet up. The rock (about the size of a large grape) came down with quite a lot of speed and nailed my buddy on his head. Thankfully, he WAS wearing a helmet. The sound of the impact reverberated for quite a distance. And his ears were ringing for a while after the incident. Although the impact would not have been fatal (most likely) it would have sucked and might have been a hospital trip.

Moral of this thread....wear your bucket!

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook