Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
How many female boulderers are in DA House?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

wonderwoman

Apr 3, 2003, 6:52 PM
Post #1 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut

How many female boulderers are in DA House?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just curious, because I am really getting into it. But I find that a lot of the time I am the only woman among a flock of guys! At first I was totally intimidated by this, but I am getting more confident and I fit right in. We are, after all, all climbers and can learn a lot from eachother. Also, when I jump in and boulder, more women seem to join me. Many other women say they are a little intimidated by being in the minority, too.

Do you like to boulder? What do you think ladies? let's take it over! :o

mwbtle

Apr 3, 2003, 8:27 PM
Post #2 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut

How many female boulderers are in DA House? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't used to like it. I'm brand new though, so its very intimidating. I've gotten up a few v0s at the gym, and thats a great feeling, because the moves are much more powerful and dynamic than I use on rope, and I'm starting to get the hang of it enough to get up the dinky kiddie problems. :)

I just recently got able to do a sit start, so we'll see, I'm definitely more willing now than before...who knows, I may become mwboulderer. :)
I'm going to be trying it on real live boulders this weekend though, so we'll see.

estherator

Apr 3, 2003, 11:44 PM
Post #3 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sometimes I only want to do routes. Then I'll get sick of schlepping the gear and all the things thast go along with it and take away from the "purity" of just the rock and you, and I go on a bouldering kick. It just depends on when you catch me as to what I feel like doing...

jumpingrock

Apr 4, 2003, 5:41 AM
Post #4 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not enough in my house :cry:

aimeerose

Apr 4, 2003, 2:20 PM
Post #5 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love bouldering! Frequently I am the only woman out with a gaggle of boys. It's fun. Guys are great to boulder with. They get psyched, get psyched for you, give great spots, and talk about some funny stuff. I guess I never really was intimidated by it cause I'm pretty used to being one of the few girls in male-dominated sports. When I started bouldering I was single and it was great cause there was wonderful eye candy and no competition. Just get out there and do it. You'll soon start working V3s even if you're only just getting up V0s now.

ecocliffchick

Apr 4, 2003, 4:10 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really only started bouldering indoors to survive the long Canadian winters and get stronger for the outdoor sport season. There are a few indoor competitions throughout the winter to keep me motivated and I found that it was more fun and social than indoor sport climbing, where you typically only climb with a couple of partners.

When I get outside though, I feel like bouldering is a bit of a let down. You get to do one or two (or sometimes five or six) really cool moves and then the problem is done. I want the problem to continue for another fifty feet! I just prefer the flow and continuity of sport climbing.

I think girls are sometimes intimidated by boulder problems because they seem so much burlier than climbing routes - but you can usually find a way to technique your way through, and surprise all the guys who are grunting and campusing!

leahmeryl

Apr 4, 2003, 5:52 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love bouldering! If it weren't for my partner insisting we climb at least half the time, I'd strictly boulder. It has helped my climbing A LOT in terms of technique, strength and confidence.

Two weeks ago I was climbing up at the Gunks in NY. It was my first time outside after climbing indoors for the past seven months. At one point I was sort of stuck - couldn't figure out what to do. I thought to myself - if I were climbing in the gym what would I do? I figured I'd probably just take and try again. But that wasn't an option. Then I asked myself what I would do if I were bouldering? I figured I'd throw my heel up onto this tiny jib almost at shoulder height and just go for it. I did and it worked and it felt great! Bouldering really helps my problem-solving skills!

rock_diva

Apr 4, 2003, 8:22 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't like bouldering when I started climbing (probably because I couldn't send most the problems my partner would put me on) and was content to do climb routes.

Now I love bouldering just as much as the other types of climbing. If I'm climbing indoor, I prefer to boulder. Outdoor --- it's all great!

silk5138

Apr 5, 2003, 4:44 PM
Post #9 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree. I started climbing routes, and thought that was great. I never got into bouldering mostly due to the fact that it was too hard. But recently I started bouldering and it made me alot stronger than I was before. Now I never feel like climbing routes- they just seem boring and long. And yes, at the gym where I climb there aren't too many girls, but it doesn't really matter either way to me- its nice to have guys help you, but i also enjoy watching girls who are better than me so that I know what I have to work towards.

gblauer

Apr 6, 2003, 10:28 PM
Post #10 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not only am I female, I am OLD and I love to boulder!!!!! I boulder all the time with my 12 year old son and my parnter, Mitchal. The guys have been nothing but supportive. I am getting better everyday, it certainly builds strength, but I have to admit, I hate throwing for some of those high moves. (Actually, I hate falling!)

granite_grrl

Apr 7, 2003, 2:25 AM
Post #11 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I prefer doing routes, but by circumstance I've been doing almost exclusivly bouldering for the last while. Why? Partners moving away, me moving around. It's more social and was a good way to meet people at first, plus you can go to gym and do it alone.

now I really enjoy it, the gym I climb at is prime bouldering, a little lack of space (and height) for routes, but I enjoy it. It's fun doing burly moves, and hangin out and meeting people. There's little worry about gear when you go outside, the problems are short so you can do them when it's colder, and going to a crag is a day trip instead of something to do after supper (tons of beautiful sea side boulding around Hallifax too).

As far a the guys go, well I'm in electrical engineering, there's 7 girls in my class. I feel out of place when there's too many women, but I do get really excited when I get to go climbing or mountain biking with just the girls.

blueeyedclimber

Apr 7, 2003, 4:16 PM
Post #12 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry WW, I didn't mean to intimidate you. Must be those massive pipes. Did someone call a plumber?

Josh

--natural_mystic--
Deleted

Apr 13, 2003, 8:08 PM
Post #13 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hahah yes !!! im a bouldering chump !! i luv it

jono13

Apr 14, 2003, 6:20 AM
Post #14 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More women need to boulder, I know there are alot, but I think alot of women are intimidated, like you guys said. I think its wicked rad when girls whoop all the guys asses at the gym, hehe, far out id say

yppah

Apr 16, 2003, 11:17 PM
Post #15 of 15 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love bouldering. I started out doing it only in the gym, but now I prefer to boulder. Less gear to carry around, more people to hang out with, much stronger if I do want to go and climb a route. Luckily, in AZ, there seem to be quite a few women that are fun to hang out with who like to boulder. So, I hardly ever go out in a group of all guys.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook