Forums: Climbing Information: Events & Gatherings:
squamish vs smith rock (help us decide!)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

otter

Apr 7, 2003, 10:52 PM
Post #1 of 15 (3756 views)
Shortcut

squamish vs smith rock (help us decide!)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Marmot and I are trying to work out vacation plans for the year... and we want to go to at least one climbing area out of our immediate backyard. Due to that ever present financial pinch we can't go any place too far away. So we have narrowed it down to Squamish B.C. and Smith Rock, Oregon. We would love for our vacation to turn into a gig. Hint Hint! (We need some lead-aholics!)

Here are the dates:

Friday, June 13th thru Monday, June 16th. Most climbing would be on the Saturday and Sunday to allow for travel.

Which place should we go??? Who could show up where during this time frame???

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!!

*gee I hope I didn't just start a regional war* giggle *

Otter

highlander

Apr 7, 2003, 11:04 PM
Post #2 of 15 (3756 views)
Shortcut

squamish vs smith rock (help us decide!) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Squamish is awsome in the Summer and the best rock in the northwest with a beutiful setting also. Only go to Smith if you like clipping bolts and hanging with that crowd.

rollingstone

Apr 7, 2003, 11:11 PM
Post #3 of 15 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on the weather; while it could be nice at Squamish in June, it WILL be hot at Smith by then; that said, there is decent climbing at Smith that will keep you entertained for the time you are there. It is not all bolt clips...contrary to some believers...

I am free then, and would offer to help get a gathering going, but I have to be in Yosemite on June 14th... :D

Good luck! You win either way.

bigo

Apr 7, 2003, 11:11 PM
Post #4 of 15 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Squamish weather can be fickle - Smith weather can be too hot. If it's possible, you might wait and see where the weather takes you. Both are awesome areas, and I'm sure you'd have a great time at either spot.

Orion

onemistakebigpancake

Apr 7, 2003, 11:15 PM
Post #5 of 15 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

come to Squamish... 8)

peas

Apr 7, 2003, 11:21 PM
Post #6 of 15 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Squamish!!!!
This would be an interesting poll topic

grandwall

Apr 7, 2003, 11:31 PM
Post #7 of 15 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd wait till the last minute then make a decision based on the weather. If the weather's good, come up to Squamish.

smithclimber

Apr 7, 2003, 11:43 PM
Post #8 of 15 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As mentioned, the weather at Squamish is very fickle (rain) and you might get stormed out. Wait and check the weather at the last minute if you can.

Smith on the other hand, as mentioned, will be getting pretty warm but you are gauranteed that you won't have rain problems. If the temps are pretty hot you can always climb in the shade and it isn't very bad. Then again it may not be really hot and you'll be able to climb in the sun as well.

I'll also reiterate that Smith is not only about clipping bolts. There are plenty of trad lines as well. However, if you are looking for sport routes, you'll find very few at Squamish.

Have fun, wherever you decide.

Cheers, Wes

kman

Apr 8, 2003, 12:10 AM
Post #9 of 15 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't worry too much about getting rained out in Squamish in June. But hey, you never know.

raingod

Apr 8, 2003, 12:27 AM
Post #10 of 15 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I cast my biased vote for Squamish, By june you shouldn't have to worry too much about rain in Squish, but I would keep my options open just in case. The other thing is if you aren't into leading you might prefer the toprope friendly land of Squamish to Smith. That being said Smith also rocks.

misha

Apr 8, 2003, 12:41 AM
Post #11 of 15 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Squamish all the way. Kickass bouldering plus a plethora of both trad and sport.

otter

Apr 8, 2003, 7:49 PM
Post #12 of 15 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been to Smith before allthough my husband hasn't..I grew up around there. I have done alot of hiking in the area..but didn't climb at the time. I must admit that so far granite (Leavenworth) has been my favorate to climb...although it is harder than the basalt at vantage and the rhino at exit 38 and similar stuff at Mazama.

Neither Marmot nor I lead...personal preference. And that is one reason we would love to have a small gathering on those dates at whereever people would likely show up. Thus the options. Another reason is to meet and climb with more Rc.comers.

So if anyone thinks they could make it on those dates, say to Squamish...PLEASE let us know!

We are willing to follow trad under the right circumstances (ie. very safe climbers who know what they are doing and preferably bolts and chains as top anchors.) Ofcourse will follow sport. We top out at about 5.10a right now. Are pretty solid on 5.8s and 5.9s. Although that was only recently tested on basalt...haven't been back to granite yet this season...nor did we get a chance to test any cracks. But we are game to try. It is all about having fun and hopefully doing so with pleasant company.

SO WHO COULD MAKE IT?!

canrocker

Apr 8, 2003, 8:34 PM
Post #13 of 15 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd recommend Squamish. The temp and weather should be almost perfect in June (not too cold, not too hot, hopefully a little warm) for any type of climbing.
Good luck and have fun!

Partner mountaindoc

Apr 13, 2003, 6:17 AM
Post #14 of 15 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with the crowd, wait till the last minute to decide. If the weather is good, definitely Squamish if you want trad and an alpine setting. If you are more interested in the laid back sport starts, head to smith, should be more people there for the "gig" atmosphere, but it will be real crowded on the weekend, so you will have to wait to climb the classics. I am from Oregon, but I love granite, alpine, and trad. Alternatives if weather is bad at both are leavenworth, WA in the alpine lakes area. Weather should be awesome there, and orbit and outerspace are each doable in a day, 1-2 hr approach. Phenomenal climbs! And Liberty Bell should be in season that time of year as well with some world class climbing there as well. Where are you from?

offwidthclimber

Apr 13, 2003, 7:08 AM
Post #15 of 15 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unless the weather is messed up, you should hit up squish. tons of badass boldering. tons of long, amazing trad routes, and some sport stuff.

besides, smith will probably be pretty hot by then.

peace out.

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook