RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

simzboardr

Apr 8, 2003, 12:17 PM
Post #1 of 3 (963 views)
Shortcut

Static Rope
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Suggestions please...company, model, length

What ropes are good for hauling/jugging...i know some of the cheaper statics snag on ascenders but what are you wall dudes using

passthepitonspete

Apr 8, 2003, 4:53 PM
Post #2 of 3 (963 views)
Shortcut

Static Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've tried 'em all - fat, skinny, flexible, stiff. I've been caving for over twenty-five years and used 'em for jugging underground.

For me, it's simple - 10mm x LONG For me, a minimum 200'. I like longer ropes so I can cut them at the end when they get abraded, and so I can use the excess haul line as lower-out line. I usually get 'em about 65m which I believe is 213'. I order mine straight from Highline Ropes in Alliston, Ontario. The ropes are good, and much cheaper than many of the others. You can get away with 9mm if you like, and when I soloed Native Son I actually used an 8mm static, but that got just too darn scary to rappel on after a while! Sheesh.

You also want to make sure that you get a flexible static line, something like the Petzl Ee-Zed Bend, and not something rigid like that white PMI stuff we use for jugging in caves. The latter is virtually indestructible, but far too stiff for hauling. 11mm is too fat, 9mm is too skinny. Stick with 10mm static and you can't go wrong.

Now, before you go out and invest that kind of money in a rope, you should ask yourself the question,

"How often am I going to be using this, and how heavy will my load be?"

There is NO DOUBT that hauling with a static rope is hugely easier than hauling with a dynamic.

BUT

do you really need to invest the extra money in a static if you already have some old dynamic ropes kicking around, ropes you have retired from lead climbing but which are perfectly suitable for jugging or lightweight 1:1 hauling?

See, if you're just doing a two-day Grade V wall like Washington Column or the Leaning Tower, then maybe you could invest your money in more essential stuff like adjustable daisies or cams. However, if you are planning on hauling a lot of stuff, and you are planning on doing a bunch of walls, you should save yourself a lot of heartache, and buy yourself a static rope.

You will absolutely need a static rope if you are using a 2:1 Hauling Ratchet, since the Hauling Ratchet will not work using dynamic rope.

This would be a very good time to review the Dr. Piton SIGNATURE POST entitled Dr. Piton 1:1 Hauling Tips. Hauling is NOT EASY - it defeats more BWT's than the actual climbing does!

So fer cryin' out loud - get out and practise hauling rocks! That's what I did, and guess what? I learned stuff.

simzboardr

Apr 8, 2003, 5:56 PM
Post #3 of 3 (963 views)
Shortcut

Static Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Dr...thanks for the help!! You really seem to know everything about the big stone, and i really appreciate being able to ask someone these questions..
thanks

"the not so Dr." Pete

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook