RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

oneballjay

Apr 7, 2003, 9:21 PM
Post #1 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Backpacking Stoves???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking at buying a camp stove since mine is not exactly cutting it any more. I however do not know anything about these things. I do not know it I want a canister model or liquid model. It is going to be used for mostly backpacking in washington so some high some low elevations. What model should I get? Any info will be nice.

ian

jerrygarcia

Apr 7, 2003, 9:29 PM
Post #2 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Backpacking Stoves??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.primus.se/pdf/PRIMUS_Consumer_2002_ENG.pdf

I use the "yellowstone classic trail" all over the east coast and love it. Its never failed me.

bsignorelli

Apr 7, 2003, 9:41 PM
Post #3 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Re: Backpacking Stoves??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am looking at buying a camp stove since mine is not exactly cutting it any more. I however do not know anything about these things. I do not know it I want a canister model or liquid model. It is going to be used for mostly backpacking in washington so some high some low elevations. What model should I get? Any info will be nice.

For one or two people you can't beat one of the tiny cannister stoves like the MSR Pocket Rocket (~$35) or the SnoPeak Giga Stove (~$55). These little stoves work good with 1.0, 1.5 or even a 2 liter pot. They let you simmer and have control over the heat and they boil water rather rapidly.

(Disclaimer: I have been happily using my Pocket Rocket for almost 2 years now.)

For a larger group of people (one stove for 4-6 people), the MSR Whisperlite Internationale (~$60) is a good choice. I don't know if there is a stove that can boil water faster than the Whisperlite. But it doesn't give you much control over heat (no real simmering). We usually use the Whisperlite if everyone is doing "boil water" meals.

As far as I know, both of these stoves are supposed to work at altitudes. Both work well in cold weather too.

Oh and the Pocket Rocket is a cannister stove (I get about 20 2 person meals out of a cannister) while the Whisperlite is a white gas (liquid) stove. The Internationale version of the Whisperlite can burn all sorts of fuel (you have to change a jet to do so).

baldguy

Apr 7, 2003, 9:44 PM
Post #4 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'll second jerry's recommendation, we've used our "yellowstone classic trail" at all different elevations up to about 7,500 ft. ... plus, it's about as affordable as you can get ($24).

(however, REI has the "Techno" version, with piezo lighter and minus a few ounces, on sale for $29.99.)

leader2

Apr 7, 2003, 9:47 PM
Post #5 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the MSR wisperlight internatinal. It boils water faster than my stove at home. It can use multiple fules if the gas it takes white gas is unavailible. It is great at elevation, and doesent take much fule. There are difrent size fule bottles to fit your needs. It travels also, if you are going to take it on a plain. It is very small and light. Check it out they have it at REI.

mikedano

Apr 7, 2003, 10:04 PM
Post #6 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YOU SHOULD BUY THE "GAZ" BRAND BACKPACKING STOVE.

Ok, I have strong feelings on this issue because many of my friends are stuck with inferior stoves. The GAZ stove is awesome. I've been using it for years. It has never let me down. Buy this stove.
Go to REI.com and look for the "Gaz Turbo 270 Stove"

olympicmtnboy

Apr 7, 2003, 10:11 PM
Post #7 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I may be in the minority, but I have a Coleman Peak 1 Multi-fuel stove. It burns white gas (and a bunch of other stuff), has pretty good flame control, and isn't too big. It's a bit heavier and clunkier than some but the thing is indestructable. I've had this stove for 10 years now and it's only ever required very minor maintenance. My parents have one that is over 20 and still going strong. I've used it backpacking and climbing in Washington and elsewhere (although never above 8000 ft). I've had Whisperlites clog up on me (although the new ones are supposed to be better), and you have to preheat them a bit, but they can't be beat if you have to melt a lot of snow. I've never liked canister stoves all that much for backpacking cause I always have to carry more than one canister, even after they're empty.

I didn't oil the pump mechanism for several years and it started sticking on me in the middle of a canyoneering trip in Utah a couple years ago. I took it apart with my swiss army knife and lubed it with Crisco and it's worked great since (although I cleaned it and reoiled it when I got home). It's not the lightest or the hottest but it works great for me.

leader2

Apr 7, 2003, 10:21 PM
Post #8 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wisperlight has never been cleened after six years of service and has never needed to be. I never prheat the thing just it and boil. The heat controll is ok. It gets hot quickly and really abuse that stove but it still going strong.

bartlax

Apr 7, 2003, 10:35 PM
Post #9 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While a tad expensive I recenty bought the Primus Multifuel after 10 years with Coleman. In as few words as possible....IT IS AMAZING. Ten days in the TETONS and I only used 1 gas canister, boiled water quickly in all altitudes, and fires up just as well with white gas. I haven't tried the others it can take just yet. But it does burn virtually everything. Check it out!

:arrow: http://www.primus.se/konsument/as_himalaya_e.htm

smithclimber

Apr 7, 2003, 10:45 PM
Post #10 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not caring very much for canister stoves, I highly recommend the MSR Dragonfly. The precise flame control allows you to cook things without scorching them (i.e. rice, sauces, etc.) and this is one of the big reasons I love this stove. It is also VERY stable compared to many other stoves (it is both stable in regards to the stove's tendency to tipping while on a surface and also stable in regards to the pot resisting tipping off the top of the stove). It is alot more stable than the MSR Whisperlites.
However, if all you ever need to do is boil water (i.e. you prepare dehydrated meals, etc.) then the Whisperlite may be the better choice (costs a little less and weighs a little less than a Dragonfly).
The Dragonfly and the Whisperlite International are both multi-fuel stoves (good idea if you are traveling abroad) and the regular Whisperlite runs only on white gas (fine if you intend to use it primarily in the U.S.). Btw, I've never used anything other than white gas in my Dragonflys (even though I could have). White gas is the cleanest burning of the fuels you could use (with these types of multi-fuel stoves), so use it unless it is otherwise unavailable (i.e. foreign countries).

smithclimber

Apr 7, 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #11 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Delete this.

boulder_kid

Apr 7, 2003, 10:55 PM
Post #12 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im going to have to suggest the MSR pocket rocket stove, it is the lightest and least expensive stove out there (3 oz. for 30$) the fuel is cheap and easy to find in camp stores. I used one while i hiked the appalachian trail (2,167 miles) last year, and it didnt give me one single problem. just my .02 cents

daisuke

Apr 7, 2003, 10:56 PM
Post #13 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Primus Yellowstone technotrail... and I must say that I´ve loved it each time I´ve used it, it folds up very small and runs on canisters, I haven´t used up my first one since I bought it but I also haven´t used it too many times, very nice regulation. it´s as good as the yellowstone classic only it uses about half the size. pots have never fallen off of it.

there is one other primus model that is really expensive, the alpine titanium (runs at around 120 bucks) but it´s simply the lightest and best camp stove out there in the small format (a la yellowstone, pocket rocket, etc) and that´s not my oppinion, that´s magazine proved (if that means much to you)

the other choices are the varifuel and the Omnifuel from primus, the varifuel runs on anything liquid (from diesel to white gas to kerosene) and the omnifuel simply runs on anything, including gas, I´ll go with primus over MSR every day, the MSRs are too flimsy and don´t compare in my oppinion (and the plastic pump breaks). these stoves are rather big and heavy though and I have never been in a situation where my little gas run stove was found to lack.

D

adkaren

Apr 7, 2003, 10:57 PM
Post #14 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

news from a retailer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been using and selling these things for several years now. I've also traveled internationally to see what other folks are using. Here's my perspective: If you're doing any high alpine winter stuff, the compressible/refillable bottle stoves are the way to go. White gas burns more uniformly in cold weather (20F or below). If you are traveling internationally at all, or if you plan to be out in hard to reach areas, go with the MSR brand. It's more widely distributed than most other US companies, and the ring diameters on their valves are the most uniform in the industry. I agree that the Coleman stoves are dependable, but if they ever do break and you're in the middle of a tiny town in the Dead Goat Wilderness, you may have a tough time finding a replacement part. I myself have the MSR Whisperlite and the MSR Pocket Rocket. I use them for different occasions. Bivying in warm weather or going light, the Pocket Rocket is the way to go. Colder weather or longer trips, switch to the refillable white gas. Specifically, check out the MSR XGK expedition stove, or the Dragonfly, both faster at cooking your food than the Whisperlite series, and with adjustable flame. (These are heavier though). The coolest new stove to check out is the Simmerlite by MSR. It's got the lightweight layout of a whisperlite, but a longer heating vein, as well as a flame adjustment lever at the point where the gas ignites, so it doesn't go out as easily as the Whisperlite when cooking on low heat. As far as the GAZ stoves, they're great too, but the GAZ valve stem is the only one that is not interchangeable with other stoves. Again, if you're stuck in the boonies, good luck on getting a replacement can. The only drawback to the white gas is that it can spill, and it's very expensive if you're traveling overseas. Feel free to email with other questions, or hop on www.backcountrystore.com. These guys know what they're talking about too.

janeothejungle

Apr 7, 2003, 11:18 PM
Post #15 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree. If you plan on leaving the country, Go Dragonfly.

In reply to:
Not caring very much for canister stoves, I highly recommend the MSR Dragonfly. The precise flame control allows you to cook things without scorching them and this is one of the big reasons I love this stove. It is also VERY stable compared to many other stoves.

crotch

Apr 7, 2003, 11:34 PM
Post #16 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

stoves [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gone

vladowski

Apr 8, 2003, 6:05 AM
Post #17 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're looking to save some money, go with the MSR Pocket Rocket. It works great and is only like forty bucks. I think there's also a model with a built in starter for about ten extra bucks. Good luck with your stove hunting.

extremist4life

Apr 8, 2003, 6:35 AM
Post #18 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I highly recommend MSR stoves. I've had lots of experience with them, because I worked at a shop that carried them, among lots of other brands. Either the Rapidfire if you want butane, or Whisperlite if you want gas. The butane has lighter canisters and is a little easier to use, although white gas heats things a lot faster and works better at higher altitudes.

singlemalt

Apr 8, 2003, 8:03 AM
Post #19 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My vote goes to the MSR Whisperlite Inter. Burns many fuels, boils water fast and I can get mine to simmer just fine. leaking fuel is a bitch when you disconnect the fuel line from the stove, but minor. I also like my Primus canister stove for ease of use, but don't like the simi full canisters laying around my garage.

ragnar

Apr 8, 2003, 8:34 AM
Post #20 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my MSR pocket Rocket, but would seriously advise against it if you are going to do anything at altitude (7,000ft.+) or anything with cold weather (below 30). Those canisters don't fair so well in those conditions. (I'm in Fl. and use mine hiking... You can't find a better stove for these conditions)

Goodluck!

naturalhigh

Apr 8, 2003, 9:10 AM
Post #21 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For backpacking the simplicity of the canister stove can not be beat. I worked as a FS ranger in the washington cascades for several years and used a snowpeak on every trip with out failure. The MSR pocketrocket is another good small stove (and is even cheaper). Don't go with a GAZ stove, because then you're stuck with their proprietary canisters.

For high altitude mountaineering, or heavy wintertime use, or international use, you should get a multi-fuel or whitegas stove. My stove of choice is the Optimus Nova, which has worked trouble free for me using both whitegas and other fuels. It has an adjustable flame, which is nice for simmering, and folds up fairly compactly. It also has a very nice system for cleaning the jet nozzle.

But for a first stove, especially for backpacking, I highly recommend just going with a simple canister stove. I've had no problem with my canister stove at altitudes up to 10,000 ft and even in lite winter use (though I warm the canister in my jacket or bag first and use a pad to insulate it from the snow). And I've been on trails just about everywhere in washington.

crack_head

Apr 8, 2003, 12:30 PM
Post #22 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah definately go with the MRS wisperlight international or shaker jet, they are some of the nicest stoves that i have every used and they will work great at most elevations! if you want something a little that could be used in more serious elevations, or something that you would want to do some mountaineering wih i would go with the XGK expedition stove, it is one of the best stoves i have ever used (i dont own one but i have used one of my friends.) I would try to stay away from the cnaister stoves if you are planning to use it at higher elevations, and also because those canisters are pretty bad for the environment. and the really good part about the wisperlight stoves is that you can fix them up with the ascent system and take them out on the wall! have fun and PM me if you have any questions

oneballjay

Apr 8, 2003, 9:24 PM
Post #23 of 23 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that I am going to go with the MSR dragonfly. Thanks for all the info.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook