Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
cleaning a traverse and worried about..................
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

supertopoz

Apr 14, 2003, 12:51 PM
Post #1 of 2 (899 views)
Shortcut

cleaning a traverse and worried about..................
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How that jug chews up your rope, I have found another way.

I[brown] worry [/brown]every time I place me jug on a rope that is horizontal, then place my weight :oops: onto it.

I have been experimenting with moving faster and with trying to remove the problem of chewing my rope with the jug. So have had some sucess I am not sure if it is faster but it eliminates the chewing jug. I guess it is a bit like semi aiding. Is this what others do?

1. I place my adjustable daisy on my first piece, it has an adjustable jumar step (a single foot loop designed to use with a jug).

2. I step up in the step and tighten my gri gri. Thus all my weight is on the rope.

3. I sit down and remove the daisy and jumar step I place them on to the next piece of gear.

4. Cinch in the daisy and then lower out on the gri gri, my weight moves across and hangs below that next piece.

5. If needed I might step up a little and cinch the daisy in a little more, the gives me enough reach to remove the previous piece and the rope from it.

6. I tighten up the rope again in the gri gri and continue.

Some wank factors are as follows.

1. Having to re-tighten the rope every piece, using a jug keeps the rope tensioned all the time.

2. None other than number 1.

Some plus points.

1. My jug no longer chews the rope.

2. I don't have bother of having to always check the jug is on the line.

3. I seems to take a whole lot less physical effort.

Lay some :idea: mental :idea: abuse on me now, is my way massively flawed or is it something like what everyone else does anyway.

punk

Apr 14, 2003, 1:24 PM
Post #2 of 2 (899 views)
Shortcut

cleaning a traverse and worried about.................. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Did u clipped the bottom of the jug to the rope as u slid it
I still think for traversing horizontally u will need 2 ascenders in oppositional and to clip your daisy to them (works for me) but for cleaning the GriGri ascender method is awesome
:?

BTW u can use an adjustable fifi to clip short to the pro as u pass it on the two ascenders method :wink:

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook