Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
need to climb in Vermont
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

melkuj

Apr 25, 2003, 5:50 PM
Post #1 of 14 (6779 views)
Shortcut

need to climb in Vermont  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Central: Moores_Wall: The_North_End)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am thinking about going to graduate school in Brattleboro - southwest vermont - and I am freaked out about not being able to climb through the winter. Does anyone know about a climbing gym nearby? I know there is one in Rutland, Quechee, and Manchester, NH, but these are 1.5 hours away. I need something closer. Help! Also, what is the climbing community like? I would love to do some sport climbing outdoors before it gets too cold.

climbshark

Apr 25, 2003, 6:21 PM
Post #2 of 14 (6779 views)
Shortcut

Re: need to climb in Vermont [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Major sport climbing at Rumney, NH. Climbs range all over the place including several 14's. Typically every crag has an assortment ranging from 5-8 to 5-12. As well, there is the rock barn located by Rumney/Plymouth for some indoor climbing.

tradmanclimbs

Apr 28, 2003, 5:21 PM
Post #3 of 14 (6779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Central Vt is located midway between adirondaks and white Mtn's for great trad climbing. Deer leap in killington has great trad climbing. some spotr arround as well. winter time we Ice climb all over the place. Lots of abandoned quarrys with 100 ft grade 5 icicles hanging from them as well as many natural alpine flows in norther vt as well as the usual stuff in the Daks and whites. Good luck.

z0mb1e

Apr 28, 2003, 5:34 PM
Post #4 of 14 (6779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not to be rude but I think he is asking about gyms for the winter. Not where to climb in the summer like all the replys. I wish I knew but I don't so I can't be of any real help.

tradmanclimbs

Apr 28, 2003, 8:30 PM
Post #5 of 14 (6779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Real climbers climb ice in the winter. they don't stay inside and pull plastic 8)

jbrd528

Apr 28, 2003, 8:49 PM
Post #6 of 14 (6779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tradmanclimbs couldn't have said it better!!!!

If you are moving to New England and are hoping to climb rock year round then you better be prepaired to drive far. Or better yet, learn to climb ice.

There are not that many climbing gyms in Vermont that i know of.

madriver

Apr 28, 2003, 9:21 PM
Post #7 of 14 (6779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think Rumney is more than an 1hr. from Brattleboro. Like Climbshark said...awesome sport and there is the climbing barn for indoor.

I think Jules and Vaness are from that area, they may be able to tell you how long a drive from Brattleboro, Rumney is. I think it took about 1hr or less when I was there last Aug.

Bob

redpiton

Apr 28, 2003, 9:44 PM
Post #8 of 14 (6779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rumney is 45 minutes to an hour from Brattleboro. Rumney is amazing, and the routes are anywhere from bolted 5.3's to 5.14d.

The ice is fantastic in the winter, one of the reasons I moved here.

The best gym in Vermont is called Petra Cliffs. It is located on Briggs Street in South Burlington. This would be a drive for you, but the staff and the facility are second to none. They also have a mountaineering school if you were interested in getting ice oriented.

www.petracliffs.com

An amazing place to climb, train, and get involved with the community.

madriver

Apr 28, 2003, 9:54 PM
Post #9 of 14 (6779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redpiton wrote....

In reply to:
The best gym in Vermont is called Petra Cliffs

....Absou...Fuk_in..lutley!! Great place, great city, the BEST!!!

Mad River :D

zerogravity

Apr 28, 2003, 10:01 PM
Post #10 of 14 (6779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Contrary to what some have said, Brattleboro is well over an hour away from Rumney (Maybe over 1.5 hr) But whatever, it's definitely worth the trip. Depending on weather, and if you can stick out the cold, you can find dry routes well into december. I guess the post wasn't really about that anyway. As far as climbing indoors in the winter, I've shopped around for climbing gyms in south/central Vermont and I think "The Wall" is your best bet for indoor. (Nice and tall) Good bouldering at the nearby Dartmouth indoor gym (real tiny though). Rutland gym is best if you want to have a birthday party with your second grade class. Lastly, the unsubstantiated word on the street is that there's a gym opening up in Keene, NH, only 20 min from Brattleboro. Good luck!

tradmanclimbs

Apr 30, 2003, 4:19 AM
Post #11 of 14 (6779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rumny is world class spurt climbing and cannon is onli 20 min. farther for world class trad. Ice climbing is everywere in many abandoned quarrys, road cuts and natural flows.

lynnie

May 19, 2003, 2:41 PM
Post #12 of 14 (6779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

many folks have made good suggestions about outdoor areas, but you are right when you say that rutland may be far away. check out manchester, though, because its only west on route 9 and then up route 7.

if you are in a pinch, though, im sure you could work out a way to climb at the dartmouth gym (very awesome gym! my alma mater!) which is only 70 miles up the interstate at exit 13. its about an hour from you, max.

if you are interested in working out a way to climb there please email me, and i will put you in touch with the folks in charge and see what you can do about a special arrangement.

also, check out keene state. maybe they have a gym that we dont know about or something.

lynnie

erikvann

May 19, 2003, 6:32 PM
Post #13 of 14 (6779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe there is a climbing gym at marlboro college. There is also a climbing gym in northampton MA about 45min-1hr away it is relatively small but it is closer than rutland. Have fun. oh I almost forgot there is a very small climbing wall at indoor action in bernardston MA right over the border, check it out.

ericontherocks

May 26, 2003, 7:51 PM
Post #14 of 14 (6779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there is a indoor wall in Bernardstin just north of Greenfield at a place called indoor action the walls name is the Rock Room also there is a better on about 35 min south of that on king St in Northampton right off rt 91, that one has a great climbing community

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook