Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tootainted

Apr 27, 2003, 2:45 PM
Post #1 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

unusual or not to learn really fast?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i have been climbing now for about 1.5 months (if i recall) and in that time people are saying i am very unusual to be climbing as well as it do. I weigh 132, have little fat % and have a ok muscle mass BUT not like i see on these other guys who use it seems only muscle to get up the route, i am 5' 11" . . . i have also been eating as if i was training to ensure my body recovers fast and completely. As of now i climb most all V3's and i can normaly get somewhere on V4's after i took my introduction to movement course i have been going up a grade every week. that is V1 fist week then V2 then V3 now some V4 . . . the other day i did a huge dyno move on a V6 that aparently only 2 other people can do, i did it 3 times for fun. As of now i am working on slopers, my finger tips feel like someone lit a match under them because of it. when i climb i climb for a good 4-7 hours, to wear out my body enough to slightly feel it the next day, i found that streatching (using my yoga) before and after really minimizes the pain one would normal the next day from climbing. . . so i guess the question is . . . is this normal for someone to climg like this, and learn this fast? (i have read on book proformance climbing) i mean i look at the people climbing like i am and they have been doing it for like 2 years or about . . . all i did was read a book, eat right, streatch, and watch females climb because they are weaker like i am compaired to most men i see in the gym.

mhr2000

Apr 27, 2003, 3:20 PM
Post #2 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Re: unusual or not to learn really fast? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing is unusual because climbing is only relative to your own abilities. In otherwords, the question you are asking can only be answered by you.

kixrox

Apr 27, 2003, 3:26 PM
Post #3 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're a freak. Seek Help or join the Circus Immediately.
Also, gym ratings are way overinflated to inspire an unwarranted sense of self-confidence.

But for a true evaluation, you should ask your question (as-is) over at Boldering.com. They'll give you great feedback.

tootainted

Apr 27, 2003, 3:37 PM
Post #4 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i climb at two gyms, one is much easier then the other, the one i climb the v3 and v4 and the dyno on the v6 was at the harder of the to, ,i asked why it was harder they said they set the levels to the equivalent of what you would find outdoors on real rock, the guy that sets the routes climbs 5.14a (mustfeel good :) ) AND i know the routes are ligit because they were recently set for the Petzl Roc Comp and Smackdown which took place on the 12th (they kept the routes up)

orestes1724

Apr 27, 2003, 4:48 PM
Post #5 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its very unusual, you must be God. :!:

vegandago

Apr 28, 2003, 3:08 AM
Post #6 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy cow man you are going to be the best climber ever! Nobody has ever increased their skill level so quickly. You are so awesome, you are the best. Keep going man, show everybody how awesome those dynos are!!!

there, is that what you wanted to read? ;)

asaph

Apr 28, 2003, 3:19 AM
Post #7 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Holy cow man you are going to be the best climber ever! Nobody has ever increased their skill level so quickly. You are so awesome, you are the best. Keep going man, show everybody how awesome those dynos are!!!

there, is that what you wanted to read? ;)

Woo! High five!

bones

Apr 28, 2003, 3:46 AM
Post #8 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegandago took the words right out of my mouth.

climbinganne

Apr 28, 2003, 4:10 AM
Post #9 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well if you climb in timonium..get your butt up here and well bust your cherry..

if you dont wanna rope up..i'll be happy to show you our boulder field...PM me!!!

majoringinclimbing

Apr 28, 2003, 10:34 AM
Post #10 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have devoloped in a similiar way (except dyno's as I am only 5'6''). Also I do not climb anything rated on the v-scale but in about 2 months I am climbing up to 5.11+ and on-siting in the 5.10 range (although I understand ratings vary which is why I would like to get to some differant gyms). Anyways I think the most important thing is to constantly challenge yourself and try things you should not be able to do. For instance there was a route at my gym that only one person had gotten all the moves on, it was rated like 5.11+ and I had only been climbing about a month so I decided to start working on it. In all it took me probably 6 or 7 hours total over a 4 day period to get all the moves, let alone link them without falling, but that is what forces you to improve even more. So the best advice I can give is always challenge yourself, don't back down from anything, and don't get discouraged if you have an off day!! Oh yeah and we will have to get together and climb some time!! Good Luck to you!!

Matt

veilneb

Apr 28, 2003, 1:07 PM
Post #11 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The reason you probably climb so well is related to two aspects of your physique. You are 5'11" .....AND you way a measly 132 pounds. Pick up a 45 pound weight, strap it on your back and see how you do.

atg200

Apr 28, 2003, 1:10 PM
Post #12 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is your spray getting all the pats on the back you were hoping for? i can't count the number of "i'm a beginner climbing x, praise me" threads i've seen on this site.

theooze

Apr 28, 2003, 1:14 PM
Post #13 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is like thread #500 by and about kids climbing in gyms and wanting to know how they stack up, if they're on track, how good they are considering the three weeks they've been climbing.

I wonder how many are even still climbing at all after a year.

Try approaching climbing with a little less ego and a little more humility. Until you do, seasoned climbers will be laughing at you, even if you crank 5 grades harder on plastic than they do.

kman

Apr 28, 2003, 4:04 PM
Post #14 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To me learning is about knowledge of anchor system and rope management and all that other stuff. So it is my opinion that you still have a long way to go before you are truly learning. Unless you are only going to boulder of course. Seems like you are learning the movement quick though.

kman

Apr 28, 2003, 4:06 PM
Post #15 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh...and try climbing outdoors you might be humbled a bit.

longalong

Apr 28, 2003, 4:43 PM
Post #16 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

5"11" + 132 lbs = :x

That's great that you're spraying and climbing at these levels, but I suggest you put on a few pounds. That's just way to skinny for your height. Throw some cow down your throat.

pbjosh

Apr 28, 2003, 4:49 PM
Post #17 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i have been going up a grade every week. that is V1 fist week then V2 then V3 now some V4 . . . the other day i did a huge dyno move on a V6

That's great. Now that you're ready for V5 please come and try "Big Bob's Big Wedge" at JTree. Since V3 is already so easy for you let me know how Pigpen went. Also in the V3 category have you tried Mother Superior, Right Long's Crack, Epperson's OW or the Ogre at Woodson? There's a fantastic V8 slab, the Kauk Slab, at Camp 4, that I'm sure you'll be ready for as well, of course after you float Bachar Cracker...

Tool.

josh

potreroed

Apr 28, 2003, 4:58 PM
Post #18 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, you sound like the perfect candidate for developing a crippling tendonitis. Keep in mind that your muscles will develop faster than your tendons and if you're not careful you will suffer and have to stop climbing altogether for up to a year in order to heal.

Get out on some real rock and concentrate on having fun and not on the numbers.

bakedjake

Apr 28, 2003, 5:11 PM
Post #19 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing since Thanksgiving and I suck.

ridethespiral

May 1, 2003, 8:13 PM
Post #20 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WOW! are you the climbing god??
ha, your fingers hurt?? Come to Flagstaff and get on some v3's and v4's, then see how they feel

mr.poo
Deleted

May 1, 2003, 8:52 PM
Post #21 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i you want to know how good you are you are gonna have to wait about 3 to 4 years. you are fresh man. your are actually moving too fast. you can never learn enough technique by the way. the main and probably obly reason you can climb these grades is because most v0-v3 is going to be pretty easy when you weigh 130 at 5'11. man i was in the same boat as you when i stated climbing. i thought i was getting good so fast but now i realize that it was only in the gym. outside is so different in many ways than i can explain. you will see this one day. but i was 230 pounds when i started climbing and i worked hard for these last two years to get down to 180. i am 6'3 and 180 which could still be considered optimal height to weight ratio with muscle. but i have learned to smuch in these two years. it is a long process to fully understand what the hell is going on with your climbing abilities. just take it as it comes. your need to take your food off the gas and be careful man, it sounds like you are looking at a climbig life full of ego. be humble if you are better than others, help those who need help learning, learn from those you help, and never think too much of yourself. Climbing is just a big mass of learning not muscle. man i have so much to say but i am gonig to stop there. just slow down adn dont ask how good you are, stop the spraying. climb outside, gyms are no means to me4asure yourself.

burz

May 1, 2003, 8:58 PM
Post #22 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are worried about progressing so quickly, take up trad. That will slow you down!!

supe

May 1, 2003, 9:12 PM
Post #23 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't agree with Mr.poo more. I sorta did the same thing as whoever the heck was the original poster. I thought i was hot stuff. Only now do i realize that the climbs i was doing had good holds just needed endurance. Now that i have been climbing for a bit longer i realize how bad i really suck! Moving up grades so quickly means you are just working yourself to death, not building techniche. I am now spending all my spare time bouldering and doing easier climbs to try and figure out how to climb the right way, not just scrabbling up it with all my power until i reach the top. man... take your time, do easier stuff, build up the essentials and get out doors, its different, i promise. Good luck!

sean34

May 1, 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #24 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keep it up!

just keep pushing yourself and making progess, thats what its all about...

also, 135 pounds is helping you out a lot but whatever works for you. I think i weighed that in 8th grade:)

you should try crack climbing, little torso jamming...its all you

later

Sean

rockzen

May 1, 2003, 10:55 PM
Post #25 of 36 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spray spray spray - good on you, but perhaps you shouldn't be concerned with how you are doing with respect to other people. i don't want to steal your thunder, but if you were 20 pounds heavier i think you wouldn't be spraying so much.

humble youself and you will have the mindset for improvement...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook