Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
More Access Woes for Auburn :(
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

roughster

Apr 28, 2003, 4:08 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2266 views)
Shortcut

More Access Woes for Auburn :(  (North_America: United_States: California: Sacramento_Area: Auburn_State_Recreation_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Two different groups of climbers got kicked out of Auburn today (042703) by rangers. TY for everyone who packed up and left quietely w/o causing a ruckus. I will be notifying the Access Fund Coordinator working on Auburn and let him know recent events.

Mostly this is a heads up that climbing at Auburn is still questionable accesswise. If your there, remain low key at all times. If your unlucky enough to have the rangers pull up and ask you to leave, please do so quitely and respectfully. No good will come from people becoming aggressive or resistant.

Some day we'll get access worked out, unfortunately the time table to which that will happen is problematic due to the state budget crunch. I will pass on any access related news as I hear it.

Aaron

extrememountaineer

Apr 28, 2003, 4:26 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2266 views)
Shortcut

Re: More Access Woes for Auburn :( [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What exactly was their basis for kicking the climbers out? Is it a state park? Forest service? Just curious.

roughster

Apr 28, 2003, 6:18 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What exactly was their basis for kicking the climbers out? Is it a state park? Forest service? Just curious.

State Recreation Area. Climbing is not mentioned specifically in the recreational use charter but it is also not mentioned anywhere in the regs as being illegal. They are basing their "kicking out" upon the interpetation of the SRA Superintendent. The Access Fund is invloved with negotiations now.

The SRA says they will possibly allow climbing if they can do a study to get it recognized as an "accpetable" (scary term) recreational use, but lack the funds due to the CA budget crunch. Ironic considering the area allows: Mtn Biking, White Water Rafting, Equestrian Riding, Moto Cross Riding, and every other activity under the sun. Climbers got a bad rap when a local who was rope jumping cratered and died.

Its unfortuante that climbing is to suffer from the action of someone who wasn't even climbing when the accident happened :( And yes I as well as others and the Access Fund have explained over and over that the Rope Jumping accident was not "climbing related" but it falls on deaf ears :x

extrememountaineer

Apr 28, 2003, 11:18 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What a bunch of uneducated morons. was the rope-jumping from the Auburn ravine bridge? I guess the video Masters of Stone IV showing Dan Osman and his friends going off that bridge inspired some people in the wrong way. Sounds like that Superintendent is on a power trip.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook