Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

xinh

Apr 29, 2003, 7:49 PM
Post #1 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

What's A Good Crag Dog?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm considering getting a dog, and would love to have one I can take along with me to the crags. My two ferrets don't travel well, although I could try to teach them to place pro in skinny cracks. Much like the shoe thread, I would like to ask what "dog" have you tried on for size? :lol: I'm looking for an all around good crag dog. One that won't bite strangers, whine like crazy, or run away as soon as the car door opens. A smaller dog that doesn't think ferrets are chew toys is preferable (so hunting dogs may be out). I realize some behaviors must be taught, but there must be a few breeds that are inherently mild mannered and stupidly friendly. A golden retriever perhaps? Any suggestions?

Marilyn

petsfed

Apr 29, 2003, 7:53 PM
Post #2 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Re: What's A Good Crag Dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Think about what your resident crag is like. If there is a lot of high angle scrambling, any dog is a bad idea.

If the crag is dog friendly (and the local climbers are too) golden retreivers, labrador retrievers, some collies. As for excessive whining, that is a personality thing. Look for a puppy that doesn't whine when its upset.

Partner one900johnnyk

Apr 29, 2003, 7:55 PM
Post #3 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

man there was this video on climbxmedia a while ago with this guy's dog who would always try to climb the rock. he did some ridiculous shit, too. it was cute as hell. a jack russell terrier i think... but the short haired kind.. like wishbone.

by the way i think this question is ridiculous

hippie_dreams

Apr 29, 2003, 7:59 PM
Post #4 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a smaller dog - a Jack Russell - and I don' think that I would reccomend a Jack Russell as a crag dog. He's a typical Jack Russell - very playful, curious, nice with people, but not so nice to other dogs. I've taken him climbing with me once. It wasn't all that bad, but it was just a pain to get a hold of him everytime another dog went by. Plus, the approach trails aren't very fun when your dog is running around all crazy -he was excited to be outside.

Overall, I wouldn't reccommend bringing a dog climbing with you. I personally think there are other things that you could focus your attention on while climbing or belaying. But, if you have your sites set on a dog, I see lots of well behaved Labs that are crag dogs. They are very loyal, and with some training they do not need a leash. There aren't too many small breeds that I can think of that would make a good climbing dog, but with the right amount of work, any dog can be a crag dog.

Hope this helps!

sspssp

Apr 29, 2003, 8:01 PM
Post #5 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
One that won't bite strangers, whine like crazy, or run away as soon as the car door opens. A smaller dog that doesn't think ferrets are chew toys is preferable (so hunting dogs may be out).

Marilyn
If you get it as a puppy, then you can socialize it to your ferrets and this shouldn't be a problem. Golden retrievers are a good choice, because most people recognize them as friendly (even something like a lab wandering around without a leash can be pretty scarey, particularly if there are any kids around).

furryfrisbee

Apr 29, 2003, 8:04 PM
Post #6 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a doberman/chocolate lab mix. 80~85 lbs. I tie him up at the bottom of the route (I have a ~25' leash just for this), and he's happy down there. I put out a water bowl, maybe a biscuit, and away I go. He guards the gear, and doesn't whine unless someone comes around (I normally rope solo easy trad). When I'm with him, he's friendly and likes people, but if your afraid he can sense that and will tease you! He'll run and bark at you, and make you scream and wet your pants, but only if your afraid! Otherwise he's very friendly, and I've never known him to bite (at least, not as long as I've had him). I even make him carry his own gear (doggy backpack)! He can be really smart, and at times, really dumb. He loves to go scrambling with the kids at Rocktown, and does pretty well, considering he has no thumbs.

youmeanupthere

Apr 29, 2003, 8:29 PM
Post #7 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a great yellow lab/husky mix. She goes with me to work, hiking, biking, fishing, you name it. But I am very reluctant to take my dog climbing with me. Her biggest fault is that she is too friendly with people. She wants to play constantly and I do not want to restrict her from doing something I would normally encourage. It is easier for me and I think for my dog, to leave her at home for that activity and just play with her later. Although I do take her bouldering with me often but my local bouldering area first of all allows dogs and secondly is very underused, meaning there is not many people there. If by chance someone does come over to boulder on the same rock, I ask them how they feel about dogs; I let them know if she is a problem I won't hesitate to put her on a leash; and if I see the other person showing any sign of irritation, I politely excuse myself and go to a different rock. Dogs at crags must be trained very well especially with the basic commands like heel, sit , and stay. You may not think you dog is being a pest but that is because you are used to dog behavior. Other people who are not "dog people" may react in a way that brings out the worst in you, your dog, and themselves.
If you haven't done it before just realize it is a bigger committment than you think.

styndall

Apr 29, 2003, 8:30 PM
Post #8 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best crag dog is one that stays home and out of the way of the other climbers at the crag.

Seriously, I've had dogs run up and grab shit out of my pack and get gone before I could say anything - the little bastards ate a banana and a bagel that I was planning on having for lunch.

dukeclimber

Apr 29, 2003, 8:31 PM
Post #9 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to the pound and look for a mutt. They usually have the best personalities because the mixed breeding gets rid of many genetic flaws. Make sure you get a female too. They tend to get along better with other dogs. Just look for one you like. There a plenty of good dogs no one wanted.

caughtinside

Apr 29, 2003, 8:38 PM
Post #10 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Styndall, the best crag dog is the one that isn't there.

I like dogs, but if you're climbing they're a distraction, they poop at the crag, and they get excited because they're outside. I saw a guy pushing his dog up the scree at Owens, it was ridiculous. I'd be pissed if one ate my lunch!

I've seen 'em running wild at climbing areas before, and it's a hassle. For everyone.

peas

Apr 29, 2003, 8:40 PM
Post #11 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you styndall. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but they don't belong at the crags. They crap all over the place, scare off wildlife, trample vegetation. Kind of like humans do. Plus they often tick off other humans too. A lot of crags have access issues due to dog owners bringing their dogs to the crags and not supervising them very well. So I think it's best to leave your dog at home.

josher

Apr 29, 2003, 8:48 PM
Post #12 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ONE THAT STAYS HOME!

texasclimber

Apr 29, 2003, 9:09 PM
Post #13 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Boston Terrier and he is a great crag dog. The only time I have a problem is when other dogs OFF F*ckin' leash come by and start sh*t with him. Some dogs are fine at the crags. Mine just sits there and eats a chew toy or a stick. Many people on this site will say leave him at home and I'm sure most of them don't have dogs at all or the ones they have are trouble makers.

I'm not tring to piss people off here, but if you have a good dog that you let crap BEFORE you even get to the crag, like at home before he gets in the car, then what is the big deal? I do think that dogs should be leashed though. I don't want some dog all over my rope and neither does anyone else. So, I recommend a Boston b/c they are cool, friendly, smart, well-mannered, and can lay in the sun and do nothing for hours on end while you climb.

timstich

Apr 29, 2003, 9:10 PM
Post #14 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best kind of crag dog is one that is:

extremely low energy (couch potato dog)
likes to be pet by anyone
is very small and takes up little space
has little or no appetite so your food is safe
understands commands from strangers, like "stop" and "move pup"
remembers what you told them last time

meataxe

Apr 29, 2003, 9:29 PM
Post #15 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about the "original" dog... Africanis.

http://www.sa-breeders.co.za/org/africanis/

rckjk

Apr 29, 2003, 9:34 PM
Post #16 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is so funny.....

Here is what I'm seeing,,,,, Dogs crap every where, they eat peoples food, they run around happy, they get in peoples way, they make other people angry, and they chase away wildlife.

Well funny as it is, People do the same Sh*t. They crap every where and they leave there toilet paper to blow in the wind. (dogs don't) I've seen people eat other peoples food, along with squirls, chipmuncks, birds and other critters. People get in other peoples way and there are lots of people that are grouchy self centered climbers that are just always angry at someone else. And If you people don't think your chasing away wildlife also your lost.

So are dogs at the crag really that bad? if they are then we humans are just as guilty as them for all you've listed as negitives at the crag.

Me personally, I love dogs and they're all welcome at the crags around me. If you bring your pooch and I'm there swing by I'm happy to have them there. I figure they have just as much right to be there as we do. Why should we be the only ones aloud to enjoy the great outdoors.

Dog recommendations, well like said before, get one you like and spend the time to socialize it with both dogs and humans as a pup.

biff

Apr 29, 2003, 9:43 PM
Post #17 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Re: the best dog is no dog [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dogs should stay at home, if everyone were encouraged to bring their dogs to the crag it would be worse than it already is.

Do you ever take your dog mountain biking .. or snow skiing and let it stay at the bottom? unattended?

Even well trained dogs can snap at other dogs, piss on a rope or lunch, poo in the middle of a trail.

The only time that a dog might be acceptable is when you are climbing with your family, and will always have atleast one person that is able to look after the dog with 100% attention. (belaying from a chair, and watching a dog doesn't count)

Dogs are great ... but should only be around when the owner can be ready to handle the dog at any time.

bsignorelli

Apr 29, 2003, 9:49 PM
Post #18 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The best crag dog is one that stays home and out of the way of the other climbers at the crag.

My feelings exactly. If you are not climbing, then that may be fine because you are near the dog at all times and can control it. If you are on a wall you can't do a thing about your dog from up there.

Take your dog to a park and play with him but leave him at home when it's your turn to go out and play.

And if you insist on bringing your dog to the crag, trail, beach, grocery store then follow the local regulations and PUT IT ON A LEASH!.

Oh and I reserve the right to protect myself, my family and my property. If your dog charges me, a friend or a family member then whatever is in my hands becomes fair game for fending off your uncontrolable dog.

I'm picturing a chain of ovals swinging through the air. :D

Before anyone complains, let me state that I love dogs and am not afraid of them. But, I have been chased, jumped upon and intimidated by dogs before and I have seen small children knocked to the ground by unleased dogs in a park setting.

So, for the safety of your dog and the other people around you, either leave the animal at home or place him on a leash and maintain control over it.

Just my $0.02

kungfuclimber

Apr 29, 2003, 9:51 PM
Post #19 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with the no dog camp. I love dogs and have owned them for most of my life. However dogs are not sentient, they follow their instincts. They chase wildlife, crap, etc.

Some say that people do that too. Well not all of them, but most dogs take a crap anywhere when they need to. I personnally find people who bring dogs to crags selfish. They don't care if they bother anyone. Much like smokers, they're mindset is "my way is right, if you don't like it then f**k off".

May I suggest you instead get a pet rock and bring it to the crag instead.

robmcc

Apr 29, 2003, 10:07 PM
Post #20 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think the problem is the dogs, it's the people. :P

Seriously, I don't care too much what other people want to do nearby while I'm climbing as long as I don't become an involuntary participant in it. I used to go running on a nearby trail and would sometimes take my kids there to walk around with me. It was on private land and POSTED that dogs must be leashed. Often they weren't, and somebody even defaced the notices calling the land owners "dog nazis". You can't imagine how infuriating it is to have somebody's stupid yippie mutt lock eyes on your kid like he's wearing a milk bone around his neck as you wonder if you're going to have to fend the thing off since its owner calling it is having no effect. Dogs (and dog owners) get a bad rap because so often it isn't you and your pooch, it's you and everybody nearby enjoying (or not) your dog whether they like it or not. It's the same deal with kids, loud radios, et cetera. Dogs, kids, and loud music are all good things now and again, but my kid harassing your dog, or my dog harrassing your kid, or my loud music which you happen to hate, isn't. I just think a little consideration is in order. People who don't want dogs there are people who haven't gotten it too many times.

drkodos

Apr 29, 2003, 10:08 PM
Post #21 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Charlie don't surf!

er, I mean: Dogs don't climb.

wallrat

Apr 29, 2003, 10:12 PM
Post #22 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, after all the anti-dog noise, I've got to say that I see nothing wrong with a dog tied up at the base of a route...yours or mine. I clip Annie, my Border Collie, to my pack if there's someone else around. She chills out and waits 'till I/we get back. Also it doesn't hurt to ask the other climbers if they mind her being loose. Any hesitancy in a "Yes" is an automatic "NO". We dog owners need to respect the rest of you guys. You're right that a out of control mutt is a big pain.
Xihn, as to what type of dog is a good one; my B.C. is as good as I could want. She's small, quiet, doesn't roam (part of the herding instinct is for her to keep a constant watch on me), is really smart, and isn't aggressive. We've done 14'ers in Colorado, kicked steps in the Cascades, and cragged all over. I love having such a good buddie, she loves being outside.

drkodos

Apr 29, 2003, 10:12 PM
Post #23 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't think the problem is the dogs, it's the people. :P

No question.

People that bring dogs to the cliff are self serving, indulgent pricks.

All you dogball lickers can rationalize all you want; dogs cause problems and add nothing.

iamthewallress

Apr 29, 2003, 10:16 PM
Post #24 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is no such thing as a good crag dog.

moss1956

Apr 29, 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #25 of 132 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get a dog because you want love it. Don't leave it at the bottom of a climb with strangers. Ever. I listened to a dog moan for 3 hours at the foot of Cat in the Hat at Redrocks this March and watched two get into a barking match in the Dark Corridor. I felt so sorry for the dogs. Don't do that.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook