RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

maxx

Dec 31, 2001, 5:28 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2986 views)
Shortcut

¿Private Property?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

When I go kayaking down this creek near me, mid-way through I come across this big cliff side, would be a super cool place to climb, but there are private-property signs posted EvErYwHeRe. What should I do, just climb it cause it's out in no-mans land or get permission, how might I do that? any tips on convincing the land owner to let me climb it?

cyberdragon

Dec 31, 2001, 5:51 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2986 views)
Shortcut

¿Private Property? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I say take ur gear when u kayak. get to the cliff. u see no one around go right ahead and climb that wall its all urs to climb.

Partner pianomahnn

Dec 31, 2001, 5:56 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take down all the signs.

"I swear, never seen any before, sir."

maxx

Dec 31, 2001, 6:06 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha, I fear that when I get to the top some old hill-billy is gonna be sitting there with his shot-gun waiting for me

nikegirl

Dec 31, 2001, 6:14 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like that is a chance your gonna have to take.

T

graniteboy

Dec 31, 2001, 10:23 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey; In general, you have an EXCELLENT opportunity here to screw this whole thing up for BOTH the climbing AND the Boating Community. Please DON't Trespass.

You say this is a creek. That means small waterway. That's the usual point of contention in navigable waterways cases; what constitutes "navigable"?? As you may know, although most western states have a "navigable waterways" clause in their constitution, the interpretation of river trespass in particular localities varies significantly, but usually Initially leans toward the property owner... If trespassing charges are upheld, (for your obvious climbing trespass), you'll be giving both the climbing and boating community a black eye in this area. Once some private yahoo "closes" a river, the boater rarely comes out on top of this one without long, costly, politically bloody litigation. Although I have to say that, in most cases, if you're willing to drop tens of thousands of dollars down that hole, the boater usually DOES win. BUT; if you get busted for WALKING or CLIMBING, having come in in a BOAT, you'll screw EVERYBODY's fun up. I say get in the car, find some other place to climb, or get to know the owners....and take them climbing, too. In general, think of others, and how you might affect them. Do you wanna see this guy putting barbed wire across the creek??? It happens out here in california often enough...

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook