Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

passthepitonspete

May 6, 2003, 5:28 AM
Post #1 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Dr. Piton's Tutorial Schedule - Yosemite - May-July/03
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

Please keep this in the Aid Forum, since this is where everyone who is interested can find it. We can move it to the Trip Reports Forum after I get back. Thanks!

HONKING CODE: If you see my Crab-O-Ledge on the Captain and want me to turn my radio on to Channel 2 sub 10, please honk in the Meadows:

Two honks, pause, two honks.

May I also ask that while I'm in Yos, that you please do not PM me. Instead, you could try emailing me, in case I get limited access, I can log on and write off line. Below you can find out where to leave me a message at "Camp 5", or if you're really desperate, please leave me a phone message on my answering machine at home - I'm in the book.

See you in The Valley!

Uh-oh! It's that time again! Time to quit [pretending] work and head for Yosemite! Woo-hoo!

As per usual, I'd love to meet as many of you as possible! I'm always willing and happy to share beta about El Cap routes, climbing gear or big wall systems. I am a Wall Doctor, so bring your problems to me, and with any luck, I can teach you a trick or two to make life a little bit easier on the wall. Think about what is causing you the most grief, and together we'll find a way to solve your problems and reduce your wank factor.

Note: Wall Doctors are HIGHLY MOTIVATED to share beta and teach systems when handed a bottle or two of Sierra Nevada porter, the beer with the blue label. This is, in Dr. Piton parlance, a [HINT]. We've had lots of fun in the past sharing ideas, kicking around Big Wall Theory, solving problems, drawing sketches, fiddle-farting with gear, so be sure to come by and have some fun! You're certain to learn stuff, too. Nothing pleases me more than when someone says to me, "Man, that was so easy - I can't believe I never thought of it before!"

I arrive in Yosemite on May 15 and remain until early July.

I am Curry Village based, and the best way to find me is to ask around at "Camp 5", which is the bear boxes in the center of the big gravel "apple orchard" parking lot in Curry Village. Look for my "answering machine" - a piece of paper with a rock on top of it. If I'm not actually at Camp 5, walk due south straight towards the tent cabins, and there is a line of bear boxes along the side of the parking lot due east of the Mountain Shop. I tend to be on the wall as much as possible, but you can find me in the morning grabbing coffee from the Koffee Korner in Curry Village, which is the little coffee shop just indoors from the Pizza Deck.

I also check the bulletin board on the Camp 4 Kiosk from time to time, so you could always leave me a note there, addressed to "PTPP". Everyone knows me in Yosemite as "Pass the Pitons Pete," so if you just ask around, people will know where I'm at, whether I'm on the wall, or on the ground.

If I'm up on the wall, I'm easy to spot - just look for my Crab-O-Ledge. As for communications, you can reach me on the wall on Channel 2, sub-channel 10. It's always great to get a live message from El Cap Meadows!

My schedule is as follows:

Arrive May 15 to climb the Prow with Chad. We'll be meeting at the Pizza Deck in Curry the night of Thursday May 15, and will do coffee the morning of Friday May 16th. I am guaranteed to be available then, so if you're around, please be sure to stop by!

Around this time, Tom/apollodorus and Richard/spike will be getting started fixing ropes on The Slack, which is on the Southwest Face of El Cap just left of the fixed ropes up to the Heart, and is the start of our route Bermuda Dunes.

The three of us plan to climb Bermuda Dunes from about Wednesday May 21 to around May 29 or so. If you are interested in seeing how the systems I describe are actually put together and used, why not come up to the base with us around Monday May 19 to Wednesday May 21 and have a look? If you are so inclined, it would be great to have a bit of help schlepping some of our loads up there! Last year we had lots of people giving us a hand, so the loads were all actually pretty light!

I'm hoping to begin my solo of Gulf Stream around June 8. I could REALLY use a bit of help dragging all my crap up there, and if you're going to be around Sunday June 8 to Wed. June 11,, I would surely appreciate your assistance. In exchange, you'll get a chance to pick my brains and to see how I put together my solo systems, stuff like the Continuous Loop and my Far End Hauler and my Frog ascending system and all that stuff. It makes a lot more sense when you actually see it in use. It's an opportunity to learn a lot of stuff, not to mention another excuse to move the party from the Valley to the Base! Last year Richard helped me fix the first few pitches, so if anyone's interested, I could use some help before I blast off.

I could also use some help getting my stuff back down to the base when I finish, and could most assuredly use some help in this area around June 19 or 20.

Rumour has it there may be an RC.com get-together around the end of June, so hopefully I'll get a chance to meet more of you then.

If you think you might be able to make it, would you please be so kind as to REPLY TO THIS POST BELOW? I will be keeping an eye on this post should I get any opportunity for internet access in Yosemite. Incidentally, if there is anyone who could get me internet access while I'm there, I'll be the one buying YOU the beer, mate! Getting some time to write for RC.com while in Yosemite would be ETS!

By replying to this post, it gives me an idea of who's coming and when, so that I can hopefully arrange to meet you when it's convenient.

Thanks again, everyone, for all your help! Looking forward to seeing you in Yosemite!

[I'm off fishing May 6 to 12, but will check on this post when I get back]

Cheers,

"Pass the Pitons" Pete
[aka]Dr. Piton]

johnhenry

May 6, 2003, 5:53 AM
Post #2 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Re: Dr. Piton's Tutorial Schedule - Yosemite - May-July/03 [In reply to]
Report this Post

Well see you there amigo! I look forward to meeting Dr. Piton (what school did you go to) as well as many of the other folks I have become familiar with by hanging around here.

My dates corredspond roughly to Pete's (May 20 to July 4) and since my partner took a ground fall. I will be solo. I won't have a car and C4 is a hassle, so look for me around El Cap. PM me for my exact location.

Can't wait! See everybody there,
John

onelung

May 6, 2003, 5:55 AM
Post #3 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I believe I will see you at Curry that first Thursday Nite maybe coffee in the AM (youre getting me one right?). When You see me, if I have smile, I will not be a BWT for I will have been up the Big Stone! If I am in tears.......we'll talk.

I am four days from lift off. Yea I am excited!!!

Billy is gonna have some fun!

passthepitonspete

May 6, 2003, 6:04 AM
Post #4 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Ah so, we have Pacific Crimbing Crew check in first. One is even on other side of Date Rine.

I'll be drinkin' yer fine Moloka'i coffee on the wall, but when we're on the ground, the coffee's on me, mate. [Well, anyway, I'll get it for ya.....]

epic_ed

May 6, 2003, 6:06 AM
Post #5 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Pete, see ya there. What side is Gulf Stream on? I might be shouting at you from Zodiac. Hopefully harrassing you rather than begging you for assistance. ;-)

Come by my camp site 6/13 if you're on the ground. Upper Pines site #124.

Ed

passthepitonspete

May 6, 2003, 6:18 AM
Post #6 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I can see Zodiac from Gulf Stream. You'll hear my ghetto blaster. Bring your Motorola radio thingy and we won't have to shout!

epic_ed

May 6, 2003, 6:25 AM
Post #7 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Will do. Appropriately, I have mine set to channel 9, sub channel 11...

climbingcowboy

May 6, 2003, 6:52 AM
Post #8 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

hey its just so happens i'll be there the 8th through the 11th and could probably lend a hand IF ya get me a few pitches off the ground :wink:
Hell I wanna get some experiance under my belt no matter how little or how short the route. I hope to meet a bunch of ya.

joebuzz

May 6, 2003, 8:13 AM
Post #9 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hello Doc;

Well, I plan on being around in some way, shape or form while your in town. I'm definately looking forward to hanging out again. Chad and I have traded a few PM's and might hook up after you guys do the Prow. Let me know when your coming through town and how your getting to the valley, I can prob. help if needed or at least have a couple of frost cold S.N. Porters with ya'. I had a blast last fall and am ready for round two.
You know where to find me... Buzz :D

apollodorus

May 6, 2003, 8:45 AM
Post #10 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
The three of us plan to climb Bermuda Dunes]

"PLAN? Ain't no plan." - Mad Max Part III

But, I have this: one #16, two #12, seven #9 (200 foot "no pro" OW), two #7.

We'll try to get up the wall.

"There is no try. Do or do not." - Yoda

tradrat

May 6, 2003, 9:19 AM
Post #11 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey Pete,
It looks like the best bet for me is to stop by on the 15 and 16 of May. Unfortunately your solo of Gulf Stream coincides with my finals schedule here at UCD. The two are not very compatible, I assure you (the 8 of June till the 12 of June). The 19 and 20 of June when you get down, I will be climbing at the Needles down in the Southern Sierra. I will be more than happy to help you guys out on the 15 and 16 of May, but unfortunately thats about all I'm good for, unless something random happens. I will see you in the Valley in about a week. Enjoy the fishing.
Cheer's

jerrygarcia

May 6, 2003, 12:33 PM
Post #12 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Ill wave in your general direction from j-tree, its the closest ill be getting to you untill you come back for some metal money caving action in west by-god virginia. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW.

kevlar

May 6, 2003, 3:03 PM
Post #13 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Dr. Piton....
Dr. Piton

I truly enjoy your HUMOR....I will be there on the night of the 15th on...even if I have to run away from home...

SNP will be on ice ...an in regards to dinner...I being of " un-sound mind an body " had planned on bringing my mini barbi an cooking up a tri-tip...which always seems to be a hit

t h a n k - - - y o u for typing slowly...as I was able to read and somewhat understand your letter...ty for making me laugh...I look forward to meeting such a famous climber as yourself

WEATHER UPDATE: 15-16 May So dang hot in the valley I got to see Dr. Piton with his shirt off.....Yuck...wash my eyes out with powdered soap....but weather was great...even a bit warm

It was a pleasure to have met some 10 RC.com climbers this weekend...
and by now being the 3rd day for Dr.Piton an Chad climbing the Prow...and at the rate I saw them move when I left the base....they must surely be on the 3rd pitch....Heck for whats it worth...they can take a week... cause I know for a fact they have enough water...

cheers

John

valygrl

May 6, 2003, 3:20 PM
Post #14 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'll be in the valley starting around 5/25 or 26 schlepping loads, then starting up the Prow on the 27th. Might be lurking around there afterwards too... Is anyone doing the Royal Arches on the 30th and want to earn karma points and beer in return for carrying some gear down the gully?

Look for my green Toyota Tacoma license plate VALYGRL, say hi, drop a note under the wiper, etc.

motorola channel 5 / 13

Anna

cantwinifyoudontplay2003

May 7, 2003, 1:21 AM
Post #15 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

June 10th and 11th sound great. (If not sooner) I get the idea and should be able to find you.. Should I get there Sat June 10th at say noon where would be the best place to find ya with out waisting the whole day. I will have a free weekend to haul gear, drink beer or, fix lines to the sky. Then of course I will be back about July 3rd or 4th to start my own route.

gawd

May 7, 2003, 2:22 AM
Post #16 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

drugz................

rollingstone

May 7, 2003, 7:17 PM
Post #17 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hope to be there by June 13th, 14th at the latest...through the end of the month. Looking to hook up with someone with common wall interests and temperament...

mother_sheep

May 7, 2003, 7:25 PM
Post #18 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

So it looks like all the action is happening early to mid June. Whoa is me. I won't be there until the last week of June and first week of July. Bummer. Will anyone still be around? Valygrl? Walrus? Anyone?

miker

May 7, 2003, 7:41 PM
Post #19 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

We'll be there May 15-18. No big walls planned, just taking some friends up RA and maybe ND if it ain't too cold or snowy up dere.

Will try to hook up just to shake your hand and buy you a beer, SN porter huh? one of my faves.

Mike R
:D

watersprite

May 8, 2003, 12:35 AM
Post #20 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

HODGDON MEADOW GROUP CAMP
space available - NPRS online reservation system

$40/night 13 people

there are two spaces for June 2, 3, and 4

watersprite

May 8, 2003, 12:52 AM
Post #21 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

also available at Hodgdon Meadow Group Camp as of right now:

6/1 - Site A, B
6/8, 9 and 10 site D
6/18 site B
6/22 Site C
6/12 and 6/22 site D

all are $40/night - 13 people

check Yosemite reservations online site

watersprite

May 8, 2003, 12:55 AM
Post #22 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hodgdon Family camp (6 people)

Date Number Booked Sites Available Nightly Rate
09-May-2003 86 69 17 $18.00
10-May-2003 86 81 5 $18.00

if you just gotta go this weekend....

brutusofwyde

May 8, 2003, 1:02 AM
Post #23 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'll try to stop by from time to time, on my days off.

No big walls in the Valley for me this year, but I'm trying to learn how to do some of those easier offwidths.

Channel 5/12

Hope to meet some of you there.
Green Toyota pickup, green camper shell, corona bottle opener on the tailgate, pipe bumper with trailer hitch.

Brutus

coyoteblues

May 8, 2003, 2:10 PM
Post #24 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
You'll hear my ghetto blaster.
Hey, here's some more useful information! I hope others will take note of ptpp's example. It would be very thoughtful of everyone who intends to be crankin ghettoblasters or throwin some kinda loud party on the side of the stone to announce it ahead of time for others who might wish to avoid it.

Thanks for the "heads up". :roll:

socalclimber

May 8, 2003, 2:24 PM
Post #25 of 65 (10964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Boy, there is nothing more peaceful and relaxing than heading out to enjoy the great outdoors only to hear someone blasting music for all. Wether we want to or not. Isn't that why they invented the WalkMan?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook