RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

straightedgeteen

May 6, 2003, 12:49 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Big Wall Harness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey i was going to post this in the aid climbing but its more related to gear....so dose any one have any info of good big wall harnesses?....perferably one with many gear loops, and good padding...... also any information on chest harnesses would be nice too thanks !

wigglestick

May 6, 2003, 2:13 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Re: Big Wall Harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For a big wall specific harness, and you are not concerned with cost, you can't go wrong with the Yates Big Wall or Shield Harness. But they are not very versatile for all around climbing. If you want a good wall harness that is also decent for all around cragging you might want to look into the Yates Astroman or Misty Mountain Cadillac or, my personal choice, the Misty Mountain Titan. As fas as chest harnesses go, I am assuming you are talking about gear slings that are rated for use as a chest harness, Misty Mountain makes a nice one and A5 has one. Fish makes an economical one that is not rated for use as a chest harness but unless you are soloing with a device that requires a full strength chest harness that isn't really necessary. The BD Zodiac is a lightweight alternative as well.

vegastradguy

May 6, 2003, 3:54 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wigglestick is right, you can't go wrong with Yates. I have the Shield and the Astroman, and the Shield is not my 1st choice for free climbing, but I can climb up to around 5.8-5.9 comfortably in it. But you cant get a better harness for hanging belays and long periods on aid lead.

The Astroman is comfy for a hanging belay or two on the wall, but is small enough to free climb easily in. It also has 7 gear loops, where the Shield only has 6. Although it does not have a hammer holster (but I think you can get one for it), like the Shield. The Shield also has a large gear loop in the rear that the Astroman doesnt. Both have a rated haul loop.

Finally, the Yates Big Wall Gear Sling is a rated chest harness. I own it, and I love it. Lots of gear space, and very comfy for long term wearing. I wear it on all long trad lines.

I also know that Misty Mountain's gear is awesome as well, and I've never heard a bad thing about their gear.

epic_ed

May 6, 2003, 3:55 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a couple of related threads for you:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28374&highlight=wall+harness

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22521&highlight=wall+harness

As you can see, I had the same question a few months ago. I went with the Yate Big Wall instead of the Yates Shield. I absolutely love it from a comfort perspective, but the swami tie-in is a pain in the ass. I've used it since December and it still takes me about 10-15 minutes to secure it correctly. For that reason alone, I'd go with the Yates Shield instead.

I also have the Misty Titan. Nice harness, but only for one or two days max on a wall. Anything longer and you'll be hating it.

Ed

iamthewallress

May 6, 2003, 4:27 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As you can see, I had the same question a few months ago. I went with the Yate Big Wall instead of the Yates Shield. I absolutely love it from a comfort perspective, but the swami tie-in is a pain in the ass. I've used it since December and it still takes me about 10-15 minutes to secure it correctly. For that reason alone, I'd go with the Yates Shield instead.

Here, here!

I've though about doing my next wall in a trad harness b/c I hate that giant thing so much!

ncclimber

May 6, 2003, 4:42 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Love my misty chest harness tried them all and liked it the best for aid. I also have the misty cadilac, The price was right but i think next time I'd get the shield.
The cadilac is a good harness but for me the padding in the front dosn't seem to say where I want it on the long wall days.

simzboardr

May 6, 2003, 6:02 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have one thing for you phil--- YATES YOU KNOW YOU WANT ONE

but yea the fish is pretty decent from what i hear

pico23

May 6, 2003, 7:43 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YATES YATES YATES...good stuff, well made, not to expensive for what you get. Although the wall harness is pretty steep.

For gear sling there are lots of good ones. Yates, Fish, BD (although for serious walls the Zodiac which I own looks flimsy), Pika and TNF/A5. I own the A5 as well. I like it a lot. It's well padded and is also a full strenght chest harness. If you want a built in pack the Pika looks nice for twice the price. Personally, I'd rather have a harness bag (metolious) with a hydration bladder because you are already top heavy enough with a wall rack on you.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook