RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

rockprodigy

May 7, 2003, 1:23 PM
Post #1 of 1 (1214 views)
Shortcut

Salt Lake Climbers Alliance!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The SLCA had a meeting last night at BD...unfortunately they had it on what could be the last climbing day this week, so the turnout wasn't very good (I was 45 minutes late, coming from LCC). Anyway, the SLCA is in its infancy right now, taking on small projects (high, but achievable goals) in an effort to open lines of communication and build a raport with the land owners in the hopes of eventually being able to do bigger projects.

Current projects are: removing the paint at Pete's Rock, and possibly installing a memorial plaque, planning service projects for the "Adopt-A-Crag" day (Sept 6, mark your calendar!), and surveying land ownership of crags in the SLC area.

I brought up a few issues I have in LCC: the new "development" in the Black Peeler area, the chain link fence at the Gate Buttress, and the whole trails issue. We talked about these and decided that, for now, the best course of action is to keep a low profile and work on opening the lines of communication as I mentioned above. It was brought up that the road in LCC is being nominated as a "National Scenic Byway". To go through that process, things like the chain link fence will need to be cleaned up, regardless of who owns the land, so hopefully that will benefit us.

The SLCA is having a fundraiser at Brewvies on May 29th. It will consist of several slideshows and video(s) by local climbers on SLC climbing. Admission will be $5 which will all go to the SLCA. I would encourage everyone to help out with this, if nothing else it should be a good time.

If you're unsure of the need for the SLCA, or you think it's a waste of time, consider this: Pretty much all the good rock in LCC north of the highway is on private land, or is accessed by private land. Some of the access to Bell's canyon and Lone Peak Cirque are through private land, etc.. These are all accidents waiting to happen. The way I see it, it's only a matter of time before the land owners get fed up with climbers, or decide to turn the cabbage patch into a gated community. Organizing gives us legitimacy with which to negotiate with the land owner. Having the organization in place now will enable us to react quickly when the next catastrophe happens.

Get informed at:

http://63.226.73.136/slca/index.html

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook