Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

maldaly

May 7, 2003, 2:33 PM
Post #1 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Statement from Jonathan Thesenga
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Regrettable Facts
By
Jonathan Thesenga,
Former Editor,
Climbing Magazine

Hindsight is indeed a deeply painful lesson. I speak from experience because in the past month I’ve appeared before a federal magistrate, pled guilty to a misdemeanor, lost my dream job, and seen my reputation shattered by misinformed fellow journalists and climbers.

I want to clarify the facts concerning an incident in which I was involved this past New Years Eve. On December 31, 2002, while camping with friends in Joshua Tree National Park, I lit afire some white gas on a granite rock during a New Year’s Eve celebration. Park Rangers immediately ticketed me for “disposing of smoldering or lit material in a manner to create a public safety hazard.”

I am very sorry for my actions on New Years Eve. Never did I intend to harm the Park or think this juvenile prank would throw my life into such turmoil. In the end, my foolish prank cost me my wonderful position as Editor of Climbing Magazine. The entire episode has had a negative impact on my former co-workers at Climbing Magazine and climber/ranger relations at Joshua Tree National Park. There is no excuse for what I did, and, as I have said from the beginning, accept full responsibility for my actions and the resulting ramifications.

However, I feel it is important to set the record straight. Apparently because I was editor of an outdoor magazine, the National Park Service has chosen to make me their example of climber misbehavior in national parks. This has resulted in inaccuracies, and exaggerations on the Internet and newspapers about the incident.

Most important is the fact that I most certainly expressed remorse and regret during my court appearance on April 4, 2003. The Park Service has issued a press release on the court action suggesting something different. In court, I was ashamed and embarrassed, not arrogant or cavalier. My impulsive, drunken actions on New Years Eve showed extreme poor judgment, as I told the magistrate judge. I related to the judge how much I loved the park, how I had been climbing there for over 10 years, and would never purposely cause harm to it. I also told the court that what I had done was something I would regret for the rest of my life, and that I would accept whatever punishment the court deemed fair.

The Park Service claims I told the rangers that I wanted to start more fires or that I would perform the same stunt next year. After receiving my citation, I did return to the campsite campfire with other climbers. There were plenty of facetious remarks, fueled by alcohol, by nearly a dozen of us concerning what had happened earlier in the evening. I never proclaimed to any rangers that I would repeat my actions. I did not, nor have I ever, plotted or schemed to light fires in Joshua Tree National Park.

Using the National Park Service's misinformation as a source, Aspen’s daily newspaper proclaimed in a front-page story and headline that I’d been convicted of “felony arson” and vandalism. That simply isn’t true, but I am now viewed by acquaintances and within the climbing community as a convicted felon vandal and arsonist.

The fact is that I was charged with, and pled guilty to, the misdemeanor offense of “disposing of smoldering or lit material in a manner to create a public safety hazard” -- not arson or vandalism as the Park Service press release states. The arson allegation belongs with more serious firesetters -- torching buildings, and trying to collect insurance money.

I did not attempt to flee or run away from the rangers. After lighting the gas (which was on a 10-foot tall block, high above the campground and away from endangering anyone or any vegetation), I went down the rock slab and was immediately apprehended by two rangers. There was no pursuit, nor was I handcuffed or taken to jail.

My actions on New Years Eve have taken me from a job that I truly loved. That’s my fault, and my responsibility. I do not seek forgiveness, but only ask that the truth, not exaggerations and falsehoods, be known. Eventually I hope to rebuild my reputation and my standing in the climbing community. Until then, my greatest regrets are any harm I may have caused to the National Park for my error in judgment, and the public perception that I do not love and respect the outdoors in which I have made, and hope to continue, my career.

bdawg

May 7, 2003, 3:57 PM
Post #2 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Re: Statement from Jonathan Thesenga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm, no comments about the whole bolt chopping incident eh? I bet your really remorseful for that too.

ramylson

May 7, 2003, 4:24 PM
Post #3 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a slander case to me.. if you would ever want to purse it.

Either way.. hope everything works out for you.

bighigaz

May 7, 2003, 4:26 PM
Post #4 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jonathan, we all make mistakes. I'm glad you were so forthright and honest about it. Good luck, and never stop climbing!

bumblie

May 7, 2003, 4:55 PM
Post #5 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the explanation and sincere apology Jonathan.

Good luck.

dead_milkman

May 7, 2003, 4:59 PM
Post #6 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hmmm, no comments about the whole bolt chopping incident eh? I bet your really remorseful for that too.

Holy Jeezus... While JT did an incredibly dumb thing in lighting up a block in J-Tree, does he really deserve to lose his job, or be the subject of such slander? Respectfully, I submit that he does not. As for the "bolt chopping incident" I've heard loads of spray, sometimes quite venomous, often apparently untrue, from both sides of this camp. Until now anyway, I chose not to comment because I had not climbed the route either before or after the 'unpleasantness' and didn't want to help perpetuate what appears, at best, to be vague rumor and innuendo. Have you climbed the route bdawg? If not, and with all due respect, your comments have no real credibility, and perhaps you should consider keeping them to yourself - especially since they, strawmen that they are, have no real bearing on this topic.

DM

deafclimber

May 7, 2003, 5:06 PM
Post #7 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jonathan Thesenga,

that is cool... no one is perfect.

good luck, and keep climbing!

boretribe

May 7, 2003, 5:09 PM
Post #8 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

actually he did comment on the bolt chopping incident here back in September. His user name is mudjunkie.

~Geoff

crag

May 7, 2003, 5:32 PM
Post #9 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actions always speak louder than words.

As a community, loosely fit as we are, it is not are job to pass judgment on Jonathan unless we accept the same type of review on our own self’s; to never forget yes but possibly to forgive. The passion that rages with in us may lose its control or guidance it should be us that help redirect those who are lost. We would not expect anything less for ourselves if found in the same position.

“In accumulating property for ourselves or our posterity, in founding a family or a state, or acquiring fame even, we are mortal; but in dealing with truth we are immortal, and need fear no change nor accident.” HDT

Peace

Crag

brianinslc

May 7, 2003, 6:22 PM
Post #10 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you.

There's always two sides. 'Preciate hearin' yours from the horse's mouth.

You seem like a nice feller, and passionate about climbing (ran into you in Zion a few weeks back, the "yardsale" comment, eh?).

Pre-emptive strike, next time perhaps, might help avoid the inevitable maelstrom of events that spun a bit beyond your control.

I'll have to admit I was pretty bummed about this whole thing, especially at you. But, hearin' your side really softens my hard feelings. Did I rush to judgement? Yep. I still really wanted to hear your side, but, fundamentally, your actions, in view of the greater climbing community, were pretty bad. Inexcusable? No.

Good luck.

Thanks again.

Brian in SLC

tcollins

May 7, 2003, 6:45 PM
Post #11 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just cause it's bugging me, FYI the first post was put up by Malcolm Daly, not Jonathan Thesenga. Please stop addressing your posts and writing to someone who isn't there. OK, sorry about that, but I had to say something.
TD

psych

May 7, 2003, 7:15 PM
Post #12 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Classic "fall-guy" syndrome happening here...if Jonathan wasn't editor of a huge climbing magazine, and was just some regular schmoe like you or I, nothing would have come of this beyond paying a fine or somesuch.

I've always felt it's ridiculous that the actions of one facet of a corporation must reflect so much upon the others in the corporation. I mean, come on, we're all individuals and think for ourselves, sometimes we drink for ourselves too and things get silly.

No harm no foul, I'd say on this one, but...I just hope Climbing carries on the trend Jonathan started, I was really digging the new issues lately.
Mike...

rockprodigy

May 7, 2003, 7:17 PM
Post #13 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He got caught, so now he's sorry...why wasn't he sorry in January? What else has he done while "fueled by alcohol" that he got away with.

The underlying problem here is that JT thinks his job and his personal climbing activities are unrelated, that there is no higher standard for him. A few months ago we all tried to point this out to him...he didn't get. Our position as a user group in this country is too tenuous to have him representing us.

I wish him good luck in his future endeavors, ideally not such a public position.

billcoe_

May 7, 2003, 7:33 PM
Post #14 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Malcom, thanks for copying Johnatons post here.

Probably a good thing you spoke up and said something before you were accused and convinced of starting the Holocaust. I don't really want to debate your actions, I personally don't think it's that big of a deal, but to a petty beurocrat it probably sounds like the Alices Restaurant replay where-in Arlo Guthrie gets arrested for littering, and the Army refuses to admit him as a soldier, fearing he's not good enough to kill people for them because of the littering arrest.

JT: I hope I speak for all of us here on wishing you well on all of you future endeavors. I hope someday this will be but a minor blip on your radar screen to you. Look to the first Afro-American woman ever to be named Miss America, stripped of her crown for posing nude!! She refused to let that dictate whom she is/was or control her future. She is a kick ass world famous and rich as hell singer now known to everybody as the hit singer Vanessa Williams. The picture not even on her radar screen, she's too busy doing fantastic songs and raking in the money.

Anyway, hope we see the same kind of thing from you:

So put your clothes back on, Climb-on and forget it.

Regards;

Bill

daceilo

May 7, 2003, 7:59 PM
Post #15 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm very big on taking responsibility for your actions and Jonathan, I must say that, from what you wrote, you seem to have done that.

Although I don't applaud your actions (Nor do I see it as an offense requiring you to be dismissed from your job) I applaud what you have just done.

Laurence

dysappear

May 7, 2003, 8:01 PM
Post #16 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few thoughts:

1. He SHOULD be held to a higher standard as Climbing's editor. In much the same way that judges, cops, etc. are held to them. His actions are a reflection of Climbing's values & principles, whether he likes it or not. Along with the privilege of being Climbing's editor comes the responsibility to act accordingly. It was hypocritical for him to think otherwise.
2. With regard to the bolt chopping - why not reach a concensus with other locals in the community before acting? Why the need for such a "knee-jerk" reaction? It sounds from his post like the bolts were wholly unnecessary, but I still have to question the methodology. I would have to hope that others in that area would have agreed & maybe even tried to mediate with the 1st ascentionists. And his comment in that thread about not being the "bolting police" contradicts his actions.
3. "Oops, I'm sorry" doesn't cut it. Climbers, along with the associations & groups we have formed are fighting tooth & nail to secure &/or maintain access to climbing areas all over this country & abroad. His position as editor of Climbing should have made him even more aware of this, not less. It's unfortunate that he has had to suffer for his misdeed to this extent, but it's necessary in order to show the powers-that-be that we can control ourselves as a user group. This essentially boils down to an "act now, think later" philosophy. It's ironic in the sense that the 1st ascentionists also seemed to use this method, but that doesn't make it acceptable for Jonathan to.
4. How convenient for him to post his own thoughts & feelings on these issues, while refusing to acknowledge or respond to others'. That hints at how fragile his arguments are.
5. Jonathan is NOT the victim here; we all are. And all his carefully crafted words of reason & justification will never be able to repair the damage caused by his unreasonable & unjustifiable actions.

mistertrigg

May 7, 2003, 8:11 PM
Post #17 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow... JT, it sounds like you've been catching a lot of flack due to this incident and the exaggerations made public by the park service and newspapers.... this clearly seems to be a case of slander and personally, I think you should pursue this matter and stand up for yourself... ruining your reputation for false statements or unconfirmed statements is really adolescent... granted you made a mistake, but you were also victimized by the incident...
just my two cents...
--Trigg

socalclimber

May 8, 2003, 2:20 PM
Post #18 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with dysappear. He does indeed represent the climbing community and he should be held to higher standard. I also find it fairly disturbing that he refuses to discuss/debate any of this in an open forum.

BTW, I talked with one of the Rangers about this, and his comment was: "I'm not going to blame an entire community for one persons actions." Although, I can guarantee that there are others in the Park Service that don't share this open minded approach. Also, people need to wake up and start realizing that the Rangers are not the ones who make the policy decisions. They just enforce the rules.

drkodos

May 8, 2003, 2:53 PM
Post #19 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreement with dysappear.

Absolutley he must be held to higher standards.

Apologies don't cut it afterwards when behavior is purposeful. Sorrow needs to be saved and respected when people make mistakes. Thesenga's behavior was not a "mistake". It was planned and purposeful. A mistake is picking the wrong color socks to wear. Flagrantly lighting fires and then running from the authorities is aknowledgement of wrong doing.

Alcohol is no excuse. Drinking raises the severity of the behavior in question.

Good Luck Mr Thesenga ......Wendy's is looking for Assistant Managers.....

micronut

May 8, 2003, 2:58 PM
Post #20 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boy, alcohol is so fun.

maypop

May 8, 2003, 3:15 PM
Post #21 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Apologies don't cut it? An apology is simply an expresssion of regret. Thesenga isn't claiming he was in the right, or that he should be handed his job back, or that what he did was no big deal -- his statement seemed apporopriately contrite to me.

I can't see glib one-liners, like "Wendy's is hiring," as anything but mean-spirited.

The Vulgarians used to piss -- literally -- on the Appies heads. Warren Harding drove drunk on a daily basis, until the police busted him one too many times. Even Royal Robbins probably camped around an illegal campfire a time or two (which had as much environmental impact as 10-second blaze of white gas).

I guess climbers today have to become more socially integrated. Maybe we should develop a ranger-compliant outfit to wear to the cliffs. Those without an approved brown shirt can keep out. I don't Batso would have worn his though.

dingus

May 8, 2003, 3:32 PM
Post #22 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I guess climbers today have to become more socially integrated. Maybe we should develop a ranger-compliant outfit to wear to the cliffs. Those without an approved brown shirt can keep out. I don't Batso would have worn his though.

Batso wasn't a member of the Establishment. The editor of Climbing Magazine IS a member of the Establishment. Such people do not get to behave with the same abandon as the rest of us, be they editors, politicians or bank presidents. Sorry, but that is how the world turns. Not a higher standard, just a different one.

Brown shirts... the inevitable Nazi reference should render this thread officially moot, however,

Just take your brown shirt complaint to heart and remember it next time you see a group of drunken rednecks chucking beer bottles in the river at your favorite national park. YOU go over there and set them right, keep the brown shirts out of it. I'm sure Warren would approve, though I'm not sure he'd be much help in preventing the ass beating you'd likely earn.

Don't you dare call those brown shirts for any kind of help whatsoever.

DMT

socalclimber

May 8, 2003, 3:41 PM
Post #23 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you sir Toast (AKA Dingus)! It's about time people start realizing that the Rangers are not all Nazi's. Be rest assured, one day when you're hanging off a rope mangled, and the Rangers and the SAR team show up, you'll be damn happy to see them.

Oh, but I forgot, they are Nazi's because they wrote you a ticket for breaking a law. Those bastards. Of course, you have absolutely no responsibilty for your actions. It's all there fault.

bumblie

May 8, 2003, 3:50 PM
Post #24 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
wow... exaggerations made public by the park service and newspapers.... this clearly seems to be a case of slander... ruining your reputation for false statements or unconfirmed statements... you were also victimized by the incident...
--Trigg

Get a grip. This is pathetic.

ptone

May 8, 2003, 3:50 PM
Post #25 of 33 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, consequences can be a bitch...
But a burned hand tracks alot more slowly back to a pot handle.

Who's more a part of our world, the person who 'never' makes a mistake, or the one who does, but cops and deals, so we can all learn from the experience...

Thanks for speaking up jonathan, takes guts just to do it, job gone etc t'would be easy just to run and not deal.

Climb on!
(just leave the gas in the stove.. :shock: :lol: )
Be glad to be human!
Peace
-p

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook