RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

chalkpaw

May 12, 2003, 1:49 PM
Post #1 of 3 (708 views)
Shortcut

What would you do?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Would you develop a new climbing area?
Several years ago a friend (he’s a climber too) showed me a canyon where the climbing would be pretty darn good. Not world class, but defiantly a place that could have up to 300 climbs. 80 of these climbs would be 3 stars (out of 5) and 40 or so would be classic. Some would be trad, but mostly it would be sport climbing. There is some bouldering too. The dilemma I have is access (It is on an Indian Reservation, (but permits are available sort-of)), and a history of climbers who have turned such pretty canyons into gyms. Recently one of the climbing mags had the 5 worst crags in America and Jacks Canyon was listed. Jacks Canyon is within driving distance of this canyon, so I’d assume that a lot of what folks don’t like about Jack’s could happen here. :oops:
So, what would you do? Forget about the place? Buy permits from the tribe ($5/day)? Develop the place and see what happens? Or try to get the tribe to develop the place where climbing would be managed locally?

michhiker

May 12, 2003, 1:58 PM
Post #2 of 3 (708 views)
Shortcut

Re: What would you do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First shot would be try to get the tribe to develop it. It might be completly selfish, but if they develop it, they can't blame you for how it turns out. Maybe volunteer to consult on the project etc. After all, it's their land.

jds100

May 17, 2003, 2:36 PM
Post #3 of 3 (708 views)
Shortcut

Re: What would you do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It might be selfish?!!? Are you kidding??!!

The answer is obvious, and it's too bad neither of you seem to see it. The likelihood of problems being the result of guerilla development ("permits are available, sort of"), and even of cooperative development with the owners (who probably would naively depend on you for expertise and to offer an opinion on impact), is high -and obvious. You say so yourself.

I guess Arizona just is too small to find good climbing, huh?

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook