RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

gblauer

May 16, 2003, 12:57 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1673 views)
Shortcut

Any executives out there?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am so tired of being invited to executive golfing events. I want an executive climbing event. Any one out there an executive with a fortune 500 firm? Do you golf or just decline the invitations?

sroehlk

May 16, 2003, 2:08 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1673 views)
Shortcut

Re: Any executives out there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm just getting to the level where I'm invited to golf outings. My boss is really pushing it. I used to golf, even took lessons in high school.

So....after Memorial Day a bunch of my girlfriends and I are taking hour group lessons every Wednesday night for five weeks.

It's not just for work reasons, a bunch of the people we all hang out with golf. More of a party of the course than anything else 8)

climberchic

May 16, 2003, 4:55 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As much as I dread the thought, I will be taking up golfing soon for just that reason. I've been missing out on too many marketing opportunities with clients due to my disinterest in golf.

Thoughts of climbing or even softball have crossed my mind as well.

The barrier?

Many 'higher-ups" are older and/or out-of shape. As I see it, golf as the preferred "sport" of business deals will not change for this reason. Golf is something almost everyone can do, even if you're bad at it. Plus, it gives you a lot of time to chat in between swings.

Doesn't change my view how much I hate it, though. Bores the bejeebus out of me... :)

gblauer

May 16, 2003, 6:37 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess we are all in the same boat...being coerced into a sport because of business opportunity. I am still seeking the odd executive that climbs. believe it or not I have found a few. In fact, I was offered a job not long ago by a climbing CEO. When we get together all we talk about is climbing. (Not sure if I am going to accept the job offer, weighing my options). I still think it would be cool to have a climbing outing. I may have to work on that!

sroehlk

May 16, 2003, 7:56 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe you could tell them it's a "team building" outing and surprise them with climbing!!! Actually many of the local climbing gyms offer indoor and outdoor climbing for company events. A few months back I helped instruct a group of pharmaceutical reps and they seemed to have a good time.

leahmeryl

May 16, 2003, 7:57 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been trying to convince my office manager that a climbing outing (just to the indoor gym) would be a great team-building event for our summer associates and interns. But she's afraid of insurance risks. It's really ashame. Everyone I work with says they want to give it a try sometime. Oh well. (To be honest, I just want to see my macho boss struggle on routes that I can do with one arm tied behind my back!)

Oh well. Golf it is.

tonithegreat

May 20, 2003, 4:17 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish that some of the firms in Tallahassee did team building stuff at our rock gym! Not only would it be good business for the gym, maybe I could make some connections that way. :-( Unfortunately, I think my job search would be better served by learning golf. . .

Toni

Partner missedyno

May 20, 2003, 2:25 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm in the corporate world too... thankfully i'm not anywhere near the management level. i don't understand the attraction to golf... i guess how many people don't understand my attraction to rock climbing.

last team building event we had involved an open bar... i think we killed the budget and they haven't had another "team building" event since.

sroehlk

May 20, 2003, 9:28 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah yes, the days of open bars seems to be long gone. I have a networking function tomorrow night - cash bar.

I forgot to tell everyone in my last post, but I'm on the board of the Society for Marketing Professional Services (SMPS) Chicago Chapter and I'm "lucky" enough to Co-Chair the Programs Committee. It's seriously like having a second job! Sometimes it works to my benefit - a few months back our luncheon speaker was from The Prouty Project - they do strategic planning, teambuilding, leadership coaching and executive retreats. Guess where they've taken the executives - hiking up Mount Kilimanjaro. :shock: Lucky guys! So I got to hear all about it. It was a great luncheon!!!

iamthewallress

May 22, 2003, 12:47 AM
Post #10 of 10 (1673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not an "Exec" but I do manage people and a project for a big biotech company. Fortunately my boss is a woman who thinks it's crazy but cool that I like to spend my free time climbing. Fortunately no one in our group golfs. Most are family people who can do lunch but not dinner. When I got knee surgery earlier this year one of my female superiors send me flowers and my direct supervisor brought me a bunch of food since it would be tough for me to cook.

I guess I'm posting this positive alternative because I spent so many years throughout graduate school being one of the only women around and feeling like I had to put up with both inappropriate behavior and entertainment preferences from the guys as well as stuff that I just didn't care about like golf and baseball that I'm happy now to know that the whole techy world ins't like that.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook