Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Gimme some Workout Routines.......PUHLEEEZE!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

aznrockclimber82

May 17, 2003, 2:14 AM
Post #1 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Gimme some Workout Routines.......PUHLEEEZE!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sup all, I've got three months to kill with a job I can plan the hours with, to kool I'd say, right now I usually run in the morning and do basic excersizes in the PM, situps, pushups, etc.... but, I wanted to know any good routines to foloow with, I have a campus board and a small climbling wall (9ft.) but I heard both can be harmful if u hit them to hard and numerous during the week. Can anyone out there throw me a routine just for kicks? What all routines do u guys do? Just fishin for ideas....thnxs all

8) 8)

rokshoxbkr19

May 17, 2003, 4:01 AM
Post #2 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gimme some Workout Routines.......PUHLEEEZE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what's up man,
I have a workout routine I do. It is a basic set up and then I increase intensity as I strengthen. Mon, Wed, Fri I climb. The first few weeks of the program I work on endurance. This would include for you with your available tools, campusing repeatedly and laps on your wall. Try to avoid intense crimpers, instead work on your open hand, sloper strength and crimp at a minimum. Here you are strengthening all of your muscles generally and increasing your overall endurance. On Tues and Thurs do your supplemental muscle exercises. Here you work muscles that aren't used as much in climbing and this will help you avoid injury. Work chest, shoulders, triceps and uppe forearm and the front of the forearm. These last exercises are really important. To work this part you should put a light dumbell in your hand (3-6lbs) and hold the weight with the back of your hand facing up, then roll your wrist toward you. Do these exercises with moderate weight so you can do the reps around 20 times. 2-3 sets of them will be enough. On these days I also do 30 minutes of cardio. You should do more if you need to lose weight more. Before every workout I also stretch for 15 minutes. After maybe a month of endurance I go to more strength oriented climbing on harder routes. I warm up and the I push my limit on tough climbs and then when I start to have trouble on moves I should be fine on I do some more laps on easy stuff. I hope this helps. If you have any questions please PM me. Later and good luck. OH I also watch my diet strictly

jds100

May 17, 2003, 9:43 PM
Post #3 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are plenty of workout suggestions and advice in this Forum. Do a search with some obvious keywords, and you'll get enough results to keep you busy. PUHLEEEEZZ!

aznrockclimber82

May 18, 2003, 12:35 AM
Post #4 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So yeah, I posted this so someone would directly give me suggestions with what I had, and yes I did look, but there not DIRECTLY what I was refferring too, thnxs for the advice yo, but for real, if u don't have anything nice to say, why say it at all? :shock:

dmon

May 18, 2003, 1:55 AM
Post #5 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Coz he's the moderator, and that is his job.

www.trainingforclimbing.com

redpoint73

May 18, 2003, 2:43 AM
Post #6 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you campus every other day, and warmup properly beforehand, you should not hurt yourself. It is an intense training method, but as long as you aren't doing it everyday and back off at the first sign of pain you should be fine. Everyone has a different rate of muscle recovery, so some people can climb or campus very frequently, while others might stay sore for a day or more. So you might have to use your best judgement.

As far as campusing, I usually do 5-7 sets to failure 2 days a week in addition to climbing routes or bouldering 2-3 days. I campus after I climb gym routes, even though you're not supposed to. As far as campusing sets, I try to mix more stamina intense type of sets (go up and down to failure) with more power focused (skipping rungs).

deadpointman

May 25, 2003, 10:06 AM
Post #7 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aznrockclimber82: if you want some suggested routines to play with, I would be willing to help you come up with something, but I would have to have some more information before even thinking about recommending something.

If, hypothetically, I were helping you make up a routine, I would like to know how hard you currently climb, and also, what type of climbing you focus on (bouldering or routes?) Secondly, I would definitely need to have some idea of how your body recovers. How often and how intensely can you climb on a regular basis? For example, "two killer days a week and that's it," or "4 times a week: two intense days and two light ones," or "man, I can climb like everyday--what's fatigue?" Knowing your rate of recovery is absolutely vital. For example, if I were to follow the advice of redpoint73 and do campus training every other day, I would be lucky to avoid injury, and likely not get any stronger. Training every third day is more reasonable for me.

Besides that, it would be helpful to know a little more about the training setup you've got. What is/are the angle(s) of your climbing wall. What size rungs does your campus board have? Does have some rungs that are small enough to work the fingers hard? Does it have others that are large enough that you can do big dynamic throws off of them?

As you can probably understand, a lot of climbers are really hesitant to give specific suggestions because they know that what works for them or their friends, could, quite possibly, be terrible for you.

overlord

May 28, 2003, 12:19 PM
Post #8 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, campus avery other day is definitely TOO much. your tendons will slowly weaken and the youll pull a dyno from that SWEET jug and pop... 2 days rest after campus and hard (90-150% max strenght) hangboard excercise are a must. 1 day after bouldering, medium fingerboard. and you can work on powerendurance and endurance two days on, one off.

that intervals work for me. just keep in mind that this is meant for training. you can go, for an instance, bouldering for 2 days in a row, but warming upa and cooling down is essential as well as "listening" to your body; are your fingers sore? if yes, is it the skin or tendons? does your shoulder hurt? etc

overlord

May 28, 2003, 12:21 PM
Post #9 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ugh, forgot to ask... what aspect of climbing do you want to concentrate on?? power, contact strenght, powerendurance, endurance...

teddybear

May 29, 2003, 11:32 PM
Post #10 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OH I also watch my diet strictly

Hello
Can you post up some suggestions on diet. I get confused on proteins verus carbohydrates and so on and so on, some of the information on the internet can be too technical. What are the proper foods to eat? Could you list maybe an example of what you eat on one day. Do you take supplements?

I think there have been alot of threads on technique and training but none really on diet while training. (If you have a lot of information maybe start another thread, I am sure alot of other people would appreciate it.)

Thank you.

:)

misha

May 30, 2003, 12:42 AM
Post #11 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1. Approach a rock wal
2. Put on your shoes
3. Pull on the wall

moabbeth

May 30, 2003, 1:25 AM
Post #12 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.trainingforclimbing.com/

There ya go. Have at it.

rockdganja

Jul 19, 2003, 9:26 AM
Post #13 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My training is more just like any other exercise,start with warm up then it's up to you.If you want to do more on your workout and fun then do things that are comfortable for you,as long it is good for climbing exercise, and one thing DON'T EVER FORGET the PULL-UPS! :twisted:

trad_man

Jul 19, 2003, 2:42 PM
Post #14 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well it doesnt really pertain to a climbing schedule but on Mon/Wed/Fri i do this. Im only 18 (june 23) and and Im seriously interedted in the Navy SEALs. i was talking to them and they gave me a bunch of stuff to look at and what i need to do to make it easier on me when i try out. so here goes.

SET OF REPETITIONS (Mon /Wed/Fri

Week 1: 4x15 pushups
4x20 situps
3x3 pullups

Week 2: 5x20 pushups
5x20 situps
3x3 pullups

Weeks 3&4: 5x25 Pushups
5x25 situps
3x4 pullups

Weeks 5&6: 6x25 Pushups
6x25 situps
2x8 pullups

Weeks 7&8: 6x30 Pushups
6x30 situps
2x10 pullups

Week 9: 6x30 pushups
6x30 situps
3x10 pullups

its worked great for me so far. it oesnt seem like much but its rully rully good and fun knowinf that its gonna be easier gettin into the SEALs
:wink: but yea thats what i do when im not climbing

solid

Jul 20, 2003, 1:19 AM
Post #15 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yes, campus avery other day is definitely TOO much. your tendons will slowly weaken and the youll pull a dyno from that SWEET jug and pop...

entirely uninformed and untrue.

trad: not knocking you or anything but it seems that program starts off INCREDIBLY light. You'd think the kind of people who would have any chance at the SEALS would be able to start around weeks 5&6 with relative ease.

trad_man

Jul 20, 2003, 1:41 AM
Post #16 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes i know thats what i said to the guy and he said thats what everyone asks him. Thats not all i have to do to get ready i have to run 6 miles a day, swim for 30-75 minutes continuosly (i use my schools pool before school starts. and the you have to be able to swim 2 miles in the ocean in 95 minutes( but youv been up for many hours non-stop so your tired and weak so it is extremely tough) this workout isnt the test itselt just something to prepare yourself theres a lot more that i didnt say but this is the physical screen test you have to pass.

1. 500 yard swim using breast and/or side stroke in 12:30
10 minute rest
2. perform minimum of 42 push-ups in two minutes
two minute rest
3. Perform minimum of 50 sit-ups in two minutes
two minute rest
4. Perform at least 6 pull-up, no time limit (makes sense)
10 minute rest
5. Run 1.5 miles wearing boots and long pants in 11:30

THATS JUST THE BEGGINING OF IT ALL :lol: :lol:

solid

Jul 20, 2003, 1:48 AM
Post #17 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

easysauce.

sidestroke? who the hell uses that inefficient piece of crap anymore unless you're carrying something through the water?

trad_man

Jul 20, 2003, 2:27 AM
Post #18 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...easy suase...obviously you dont have any idea what you do and how you do it during BUD/S training, it has once of the hardest obstacle courses in the world and i know for a fact if you dont train for that you wouldnt be able to do it correctly unless your a superhero and never get tired :roll:

solid

Jul 20, 2003, 2:47 AM
Post #19 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sarcasm, look it up sometime.

and i am a superhero.

richardiii

Jul 20, 2003, 6:29 AM
Post #20 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sidestroke also keeps your head above water and doesn't splash as much as doggy-style Quite useful if there's bad people around.

deadpointman

Jul 20, 2003, 8:13 AM
Post #21 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, for all intents and purposes, Overlord is right; campusing every other day is too often. Granted, people very in their physiological responses to training, and there is a certain precentage of people for whom campusing every other day may be appropriate. However, this precentage is very LOW. The vast majority of people simply would not benefit from this frequency of campusing training. And, in fact, a good portion of people would not only fail to gain strength with such little rest between workouts, but due to accumulating microtrauma, would be increasingly at risk for suffering an acute tendon injury.

solid

Jul 20, 2003, 1:11 PM
Post #22 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sidestroke also keeps your head above water and doesn't splash as much as doggy-style Quite useful if there's bad people around.

but why use sidestroke over breast stroke (an incredibly efficient and silent stroke that can be used for swimming long distances with ease) for any practical purpose? plus sidestroke in the ocean will leave you with an earful of saltwater and your arm/leg movements will become harder to coordinate.

watersprite

Aug 1, 2003, 5:18 PM
Post #23 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't like putting my head in the water but I love to swim - any tips for learning the correct way to sidestroke?

dirtineye

Aug 4, 2003, 5:58 PM
Post #24 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back to the seal prep workout, anyone know why they are so heavy on pushups and so light on pullups? And are their pull ups the ones with the back of your hand towards you, or with the palms towards you?

Liquidimp, like the guy above said, breast stroke would be easier to coordinate nad less water in ears. If you are going to rescue someone in the water though, side stroke used to be the thing to use.

mistertrigg

Aug 4, 2003, 7:48 PM
Post #25 of 25 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

heh.... the requirements that the guy gave you on pull-ups and the mile and a half run are pretty much the MINIMUM for ALL MILITARY.... for males, at least.... its a dual standard... Womens' minimum pullups is 1, well thats what it was last I checked... I knew a USAF PJ (Pararescue Jumper) and the stuff he talked about makes that stuff look like a cakewalk... these guys do pushups in sets of hundreds, pullups in sets of anywhere between 20-40, and do an unbelieveable amount of swimming... ya might wanna work out a lil harder if you wanna stay in BUDS.... otherwise you'll wash out just like the 90% of each class... not tryin to talk smack, just lettin ya know how it is..

--trigg

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook