RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Partner drector

May 19, 2003, 5:42 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Driving Time from Tahoe to JT
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mapquest says it's 10-12 hours from the north end of Lake Tahoe. Has anyone done the drive south on 395 and can you tell me the real time it would take? Mapquest seem off by at least 2 hours.

Thanks,

Dave

enigma

May 19, 2003, 7:03 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Re: Driving Time from Tahoe to JT [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Mapquest says it's 10-12 hours from the north end of Lake Tahoe. Has anyone done the drive south on 395 and can you tell me the real time it would take? Mapquest seem off by at least 2 hours.

Thanks,

Dave

You know no one can tell you that, everyone drives at different speeds, there's traffic, stops for bathroom, coffee breaks, winding roads,bad drivers,accidents,getting gas ,checking oil, your car,the route you take,road conditions, rain, ice, broken roads (get real no one can tell you how much time its going to take exactly its an estimate, based on information mapquest puts in their computer).

As an aside, if your plan is to go to Josh soon, I would be looking more on the weather side. I was there this weekend, and it gets unpleasantly hot this time of year. :roll:
May want to rethink this destination now, if thats your plan, and go somewhere nearby lake tahoe, which is close to getting perfect this time of year. :idea: 8) Good luck :!:

josher

May 19, 2003, 7:24 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it was exactly 5 hours for us to go from Jtree to Bishop. We went from bishop to Reno (close) in another 2 hours (not sure on the last one).

Keeping a 80 mph clip the whole way

Partner drector

May 20, 2003, 10:01 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Thanks,

Dave

You know no one can tell you that, everyone drives at different speeds, there's traffic, stops for bathroom, coffee breaks, winding roads,bad drivers,accidents,getting gas ,checking oil, your car,the route you take,road conditions, rain, ice, broken roads (get real no one can tell you how much time its going to take exactly its an estimate, based on information mapquest puts in their computer).

As an aside, if your plan is to go to Josh soon, I would be looking more on the weather side. I was there this weekend, and it gets unpleasantly hot this time of year. :roll:
May want to rethink this destination now, if thats your plan, and go somewhere nearby lake tahoe, which is close to getting perfect this time of year. :idea: 8) Good luck :!:

I'm not 10 years old and understand that the road can be closed or that I might need to pee and it's pretty dumb of you to suggest otherwise. Next time, just let the posters with the info take care of things and leave out the useless "Everyone drives at different speeds" stuff. It's not what I asked for and I do have that much common sense. The idea here was to verify if MapQuest was even close to correct which it is not.

Dave

climbsomething

May 21, 2003, 12:01 AM
Post #5 of 14 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Dave! I have not made the drive you ask about, but I can say with some confidence that MapQuest "sandbags" their time estimates. For a good ballpark figure, do some arithmetic with the listed mileage and about how fast you drive- if MapQuest puts 300 miles between destinations, and you drive about 80 mph on the highway, then calculate how many times 80 goes into 300, then fudge it a little for bathroom or drive-thru breaks or whatever, and that should be a pretty good guess. Hope I'm not being condesceding ;) That's just my formula for all MapQuest estimates...

totigers

May 21, 2003, 12:08 AM
Post #6 of 14 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's an average of 12 hours to get through California from the north end to the south end but I wouldn't take 395 because of all the winding from the mountains. If I remember right, you can take the 395 south towards Susanville then hook on to either the 70 or the 99. I can't remember which it is up there and head south. You'll go through Sacramento then head towards Fresno then to Tehachapi then back to the 395 to the 15 south to 10 east after come over cajon pass.
From the 10 and the 15 it is only about another hour.
I was just up in Susanville a few weeks ago and that was 11 hours and I took my time. I think I was cruising 80mph.
I liked that better than taking the 5 south or the 395 the whole way.
Good luck, have fun and climb hard.

kalcario

May 21, 2003, 12:14 AM
Post #7 of 14 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lifelong Cali resident and 395 driver says 10 hours with a few stops, don't drive over 75 on the Nevada part, many speed traps

enigma

May 21, 2003, 2:40 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Thanks,

Dave

I'm not 10 years old and understand that the road can be closed or that I might need to pee and it's pretty dumb of you to suggest otherwise. Next time, just let the posters with the info take care of things and leave out the useless "Everyone drives at different speeds" stuff. It's not what I asked for and I do have that much common sense. The idea here was to verify if MapQuest was even close to correct which it is not.

Dave

Well I guess you have more experience driving?? Who am I to say anything, oh yeah I only drove 11,000 miles in four months :You just sounded so ....roll: :lol: Good Luck,nonetheless

extrememountaineer

May 21, 2003, 3:36 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, mapquest sucks! I plugged in Reno to Jtree to see where it sent you and it sent me over the hill to Sacramento, down I-5, through La, yadayadayada, 11 hrs, 11min.

Here is the definitive word, I've done the trip:

North Lake Tahoe to 395, 395 to Hwy 18 in Victorville, Hwy 18 to Hwy 247 in Lucerne Valley, Hwy 247 to 62 and Jtree. 7 1/2 hours give or take a few minutes. Approximately 460 miles.

climbsomething

May 21, 2003, 5:00 AM
Post #10 of 14 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Who am I to say anything, oh yeah I only drove 11,000 miles in four months

OK, this has been bugging me. 11K miles on a trip across the country? The United States is only 3K miles across! Lost much?!

:twisted:

addiroids

May 21, 2003, 5:21 AM
Post #11 of 14 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I would say more like 7.5 to 8 hours. And it is hot down here so just think about that when coming here. Go to the Valley or the Needles dude.

And, good one Hillary!! Witty as always.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

enigma

May 21, 2003, 7:11 AM
Post #12 of 14 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Who am I to say anything, oh yeah I only drove 11,000 miles in four months

OK, this has been bugging me. 11K miles on a trip across the country? The United States is only 3K miles across! Lost much?!

:twisted:

Well if you looked at my profile you could see I was on a four month rockclimbing road trip , first stop was Lovers Leap California, 3300 miles.
From there I traveled another 8000 miles from July through the end of October.A total of over 11,000 miles. Including North and South Lake Tahoe.I doubt you could do it :!: But I'd go ahead and try :roll: :wink:

Addroids-- That's not wit, its called a mistake :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

climbsomething

May 21, 2003, 7:27 AM
Post #13 of 14 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well if you looked at my profile you could see I was on a four month rockclimbing road trip , first stop was Lovers Leap California, 3300 miles.
From there I traveled another 8000 miles from July through the end of October.A total of over 11,000 miles. Including North and South Lake Tahoe.I doubt you could do it :!: But I'd go ahead and try :roll: :wink:

Actually, I have read your profile. That's what initially made me laugh at your 11,000 miles. For rockclimbing! Hey everybody, she's a rockclimber! Miles ahead (11,000 to be exact) of your average Jane and Joe, cos she drove all over Hell's Half Acre to go rockclimbing on her rockclimbing road trip!

Whatever. You still did a lot of wandering. Even after the initial 3300 miles, you still spent 8000 miles doing... what? Lapping the west coast? Backtracking?

You're right, I couldn't do it like you, rockclimber and rockclimbing road tripper extraordinaire... I'd have a map. And a clue.

enigma

May 21, 2003, 7:41 AM
Post #14 of 14 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Actually, I have read your profile. That's what initially made me laugh at your 11,000 miles. For rockclimbing! Hey everybody, she's a rockclimber! Miles ahead (11,000 to be exact) of your average Jane and Joe, cos she drove all over Hell's Half Acre to go rockclimbing on her rockclimbing road trip!

Whatever. You still did a lot of wandering. Even after the initial 3300 miles, you still spent 8000 miles doing... what? Lapping the west coast? Backtracking?

You're right, I couldn't do it like you, rockclimber and rockclimbing road tripper extraordinaire... I'd have a map. And a clue.

Listen you don't have a clue, really do you honestly want me to tell you my itinerary???
I was in Canada,Oregon, Utah,Idaho,Wyoming,besides California , and many other rockclimbing areas. These posts have nothing to do with the "Driving Time from Tahoe to JT." Try to stick to the topic :twisted: :roll:

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook