Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

longalong

May 22, 2003, 9:13 PM
Post #26 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Re: funny stunts and tricks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Where are you trying to go with this??? My claim still stands... give it a try... keep going until you have a couple of inverts dialed, and then tell me that its a sissy sport...

That's crazy, my 2nd unlce's sister-in-law just dialed in a couple of inverts when she was figure skating. Figure skating is so extreme and manly.

flyinghatchet

May 22, 2003, 9:29 PM
Post #27 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That's crazy, my 2nd unlce's sister-in-law just dialed in a couple of inverts when she was figure skating. Figure skating is so extreme and manly.

IF wakeboarding IS a sissy sport, name some sports that aren't then. BTW, you must be a real family guy, keeping in touch with your 2nd unlce's sister-in-law an all.

alvchen

May 22, 2003, 9:52 PM
Post #28 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you wanna try an impressive climbing stunt, try "bouldering" one of those white plastic chairs.

Start sitting in the chair, then go under the chair, and back over, without touching the gound. Oh yeah, you can't have the chair anchored to the ground, so you gotta stay balanced.

chingas

May 22, 2003, 10:56 PM
Post #29 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now, POG, that's some EXTREME sh_t! Everytime you toss one of those little suckers you could take out an eye or seriously pull a finger tendon!

You guys don't know REAL pain!

:wink:

climberpunk

May 23, 2003, 12:04 AM
Post #30 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude, Le Parkour!!! this sh1t is the sh1t!!! [flamers will be shot..] check out www.leparkour.net or www.buildering.net in the news section. these people are INSANE

lox

May 23, 2003, 1:13 AM
Post #31 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's way more impressive when you realize that he doesn't have any bindings on...

http://www.wakeskating.com/.../grubb_ruck_1/11.jpg

flyinghatchet

May 23, 2003, 1:18 AM
Post #32 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's way more impressive when you realize that he doesn't have any bindings on...

http://www.wakeskating.com/.../grubb_ruck_1/11.jpg

HOLY CRAP MAN! As if it isn't hard enough to do tricks, this guy has to go and make us look worse! 8)

flyinghatchet

May 23, 2003, 1:22 AM
Post #33 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Following suit....
http://www.wakeskating.com/...tompkins/clint_7.jpg

I never knew that there was wakeskating, I thought wakeboarders took off their bindings or something.

Partner coldclimb

May 23, 2003, 2:39 AM
Post #34 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definately slacklining. But I haven't had the chance to try wakeboarding yet.

fieldmouse

May 23, 2003, 3:14 AM
Post #35 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my stance is still this: anything where you have to get pulled by a little yuppie speedboat and that is featured in mountain dew comercials is for light bastards. do I even need to mention espn 2?
get stout lox.

mutant

May 23, 2003, 4:19 AM
Post #36 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lox,
If you knew anything about wakeboarding you would know that no bindings is called skurffing.
Kneeboarding was first, then skurffing, then wake boarding.

If you want to get a real thrill try barefoot. That is some fun stuff!!!!

Mutant

lox

May 23, 2003, 6:55 AM
Post #37 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While your post migh thave held some merit in the early 1990s, mutant... it's really ridiculous at this point in time.

Skurfing is part of history, sure... the guy who first produced the skurfer now makes Liquid Revolution wakeboards... but, wakeskating is decidedly different than skurfing in that a wake skateboard is ridden instead of a skurfer.

For more history on the subject, I'll refer you to this webpage...

http://www.stokecity.ca/history.htm

It is quite complete.

Fieldmouse... it sounds like your opinion is decidely ninformed and market driven... i.e. you have not tried this activity, but you have seen mountain dew commercials about it. Personally, I have seen mountain dew commercials about skydiving, bmx bikes, driving cars fast and mountain biking. However, I still acknowledge the legitimacy of these activities and would not berate someone for say, driving a car or riding a bike.

Of course... it is not my goal to harp on another person's good time.. as you seem to be so eager and prone to do.

I dunno if that makes me "better" or "worse" than you, but it certainly makes us different. And you mos def don't get invited on the boat... where you can sip brews with fly wakeboard ladies and smoke joop while Eminem rocks it.

Sucks to be who ?

Oh yeah... the critic.

fieldmouse

May 23, 2003, 6:08 PM
Post #38 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you are correct when you say that wakeboarding is just another enjoyable activity. what you fail to realize is that I have tried it, having grown up on a lake. My opinion, as a conscientious objector is that I personally found it to be a fluff sport. Most of the participants that I was able to view were into it because of the aesthetics, i.e., "hanging out on a boat sipping brews with hot chicks and smoking weed" Noone I met was hardcore enough to create a lifestyle through wakeboarding as happens amongst climbers and boulderers. In conclusion, I will say that wakeboarding is analogous to such activities as lawn darts and bocce ball. To me, even bowling is more hardcore because look at the scumbags hanging out at the alleys, living the life. The injuriousness of this sport may be present, but you can get hurt just walking down the street. next time you are out wakeboarding, notice how many of these people are out for a sunday cruise with the fam, the wife drinking bartles and james, the kids with their little sun-hats on, whatever is being pulled behind them a mere afterthought. when was the last time you saw this kind of donna reed-type shi# at a bouldering area?

Partner calamity_chk

May 23, 2003, 6:21 PM
Post #39 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
p.s. dont listen to lox, wakeboarding is for sissies and little kids. and little sissy kids.

wait, my 7yr wakeboards. does that make me a sissy?

lox

May 23, 2003, 6:25 PM
Post #40 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dunno man... we seem to be from different places.

Here in Austin, there are tons of peeps who have a boat on one of the many area lakes and everyone I wakeboard with is in my same Mountain Dew demographic group.

And yeah, a lot of these kids have boats through their parents, but anyone seriously into wakeboarding isn't going to be barbeque'ing out with the fam and maybe getting some pulls in. Sessions last 6 hours, we slip the boat after dark and peeps here ride 9 or 10 months a year, witha wetsuit for serious spring and fall riding.

Boatsports in general are big here, and wakeboarding mos def takes the cake as the fastest growing part of that industry.

Just because you yourself percieve wakeboarding to be some sort of mom and pop thing with kids in sunhats doesn't mean there aren't dedicated individuals getting up with the sun because thats when the water is good, even if it means calling your fade early and getting to bed.

Not trying to berate you for being "wrong"... just rtying to educate you so you know that there are peeps that are as into this sport as climbing.

And you are right, you need a boat. But hell man... my grandma has a waverunner that will tug a boarder. It's not that rare.

longalong

May 23, 2003, 6:33 PM
Post #41 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My opinion, as a conscientious objector is that I personally found it to be a fluff sport.

Fieldmouse, I agree with everything you said in your response to Lox about wakeboarding(fluff sport). There is one thing I wanted to point out to you. Using the term of conscientious objector in your response is not a correct usage of the term in anyway, shape or form. By definiton a conscientious objector is somebody who, for moral or religious reasons, believes it is wrong to wage war and therefore refuses to join or serve in any branch of the armed services. Last time I checked wars aren't fought over wakeboarding. Just a tip, don't use terms and phrases that you are not sure of to make your responses sound more intelligent.

burz

May 23, 2003, 6:50 PM
Post #42 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, Houston may not have rocks...and that sucks. But we have just about all the wakeboarding you want! And it rocks. As for not living the lifestyle, try doing up your own ski boat on a low buget, like me and my buddy. My friend inherited his Dad's '78 boat so we stuck two 15 gallon drums in the back for weight, and bought an 8 foot piece of steel pipe from the hardware store and tied it in with rope for a ski pole. Now take runs everyday after work riding around in that thing. Think we looked cool? No way. Think we were having a hella time! Hell yes. Hitting ramps, carving the wake, front flips, 180's, 360's. Wakeboarding kicks serious but...I still like climbing better though. Later.

fieldmouse

May 23, 2003, 8:32 PM
Post #43 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
My opinion, as a conscientious objector is that I personally found it to be a fluff sport.

Fieldmouse, I agree with everything you said in your response to Lox about wakeboarding(fluff sport). There is one thing I wanted to point out to you. Using the term of conscientious objector in your response is not a correct usage of the term in anyway, shape or form. By definiton a conscientious objector is somebody who, for moral or religious reasons, believes it is wrong to wage war and therefore refuses to join or serve in any branch of the armed services. Last time I checked wars aren't fought over wakeboarding. Just a tip, don't use terms and phrases that you are not sure of to make your responses sound more intelligent.
conscientious
SYLLABICATION: con·sci·en·tious
PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: knsh-nshs KEY
ADJECTIVE: 1. Guided by or in accordance with the dictates of conscience; principled: a conscientious decision to speak out about injustice.
2. Thorough and assiduous: a conscientious worker; a conscientious effort to comply with the regulations.
ETYMOLOGY: Obsolete French conscientieux, from Medieval Latin cnscientisus, from Latin cnscientia, conscience. See conscience.
OTHER FORMS: consci·entious·ly —ADVERB
consci·entious·ness —NOUN

Main Entry: 2ob·ject
Pronunciation: &b-'jekt
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin objectus, past participle of obicere to throw in the way, object
Date: 15th century
transitive senses : to put forth in opposition or as an objection
intransitive senses
1 : to oppose something firmly and usually with words or arguments
2 : to feel distaste for something
- ob·jec·tor /-'jek-t&r/ noun

nice one, dork.

fieldmouse

May 23, 2003, 8:41 PM
Post #44 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

since you are obviously a master of the english language, you must know that it was designed to accomodate colloquialisms and therefore the phrase "conscientious objector" can have multiple permutations. When you act like a jackass, as you are, you are not physically walking around a pasture eating hay and pulling carts.

orangekyak

May 23, 2003, 9:09 PM
Post #45 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
WTF is freestyle walking?!?

I invented freestyle walking. It's not so much a sport, more of a pass time. While working a large summer camp which has grounds spanning hundreds of acres of NH forest, getting kiddos from one activity (like lunch) to another activity (like rest hour in their cabins) that are like half a mile apart takes some serious herding skills. So I invented freestyle walking - encouraging the kiddos to run really fast and catch air off the next big stump, or rail slide on a smooth downed tree. It gets them moving in the right direction. I think maybe one of the kids' dads was an executive at the espn x games or some 5h1t. whatever.

Lox, you didn't answer his question ... are you a choad at wakeboarding dot com? If so, I'll head over there for a bit - I'm a big fan of your choadworthy comments and choady remarks :shock:

longalong

May 23, 2003, 9:34 PM
Post #46 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, Fieldmouse, your responses seem to be filled with a lot of angst :evil:. My suggestion to you is to either, get some nooky or smoke some herb, and RELAX 8) . Well I guess that could be a fault of my own. Reading my post to you, I come across sounding very arrogant and erudite. Which by the way, wasn't the point of the post. It was nice to see you bring out a dictionary to try and prove me wrong. At least you're getting educated in someway. It's great that you "designed" your phrase to "accomodate colloquilisms" therefore making it have "multiple permutations", but no normal educated person uses the phrase that way. Yes, if you break the two words down, as you did, it works by the two definitions you can get. Although it works in your head, did you by chance look a 1/4 cm down the page and see the term, conscientious objector, which is right underneath the word conscientious. If you by chance read the definition of this two combined words you would see what I've already previously stated. Breaking the two words down may work, but no one ever uses that term when talking about anything other then war. So keep on trying to sound intelligent. Oh, and don't worry when you see someones face cringes a little when you use that term in public during a conversation. It has nothing to do with the misuse of words, just someone about to sneeze. Well, I hope you aren't all riled up after this. If so just take another hit. By the way I really enjoyed the jackass metaphor, very sixth grade like. Oh the memories.

PS Don't try to use big words when you can't even spell them correctly.

fieldmouse

May 24, 2003, 3:23 AM
Post #47 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, ass, first of all, I have a masters degree that I obtained in 3 years, so there goes your little lack of education bullshi$. secondly, you obviously are a complete nerd to have spent this much time worrying about whether or not I spell things correctly. (koo-reckly)

curt

May 24, 2003, 3:39 AM
Post #48 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm......... longalong = Lox? Or, just Lox Jr.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Curt

xanx

May 25, 2003, 5:23 AM
Post #49 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...good old flame wars.... gotta love 'em...

only, this time i wish there were actually someone worth my jumping in to defend.... fieldmouse seems to be very adept at using his thesaraus and dictionary, but doesn't quite grasp the nuances of the english language (and flouts a master's degree obtained in 3 years like some great accomplishment... lots of schools now have 3-year masters programs...). I tend to agree more with lox (aka longalot??) but i find it very childish of him to attack fieldmouse's every gramatical or spelling error and act as if he had struck some fatal blow to fieldmouse's integrity....

now play nice children!

fieldmouse

May 25, 2003, 6:05 AM
Post #50 of 71 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...good old flame wars.... gotta love 'em...

only, this time i wish there were actually someone worth my jumping in to defend.... fieldmouse seems to be very adept at using his thesaraus and dictionary, but doesn't quite grasp the nuances of the english language (and flouts a master's degree obtained in 3 years like some great accomplishment... lots of schools now have 3-year masters programs...). I tend to agree more with lox (aka longalot??) but i find it very childish of him to attack fieldmouse's every gramatical or spelling error and act as if he had struck some fatal blow to fieldmouse's integrity....

now play nice children!

ok, when you were taking intro to pre-algebra at cornhole community college I was taking the equivalent of 24 credit hours at Caltech, one of the most taxing educational experiences possible, hence the 3 years instead of the usual 4. About your word usage; there are other publications other than reader' digest, in case you didnt know. flaunts, not 'flouts'. "flouts" means to show contempt for, example: I flout you because you're a complete moron with a modicum of intelligence that you've obviously taken and gone bonkers with. just becouse your mommy says you're "such a bright young man" doesnt mean that you are. As far as the origin of this exercise in ridiculousness goes, I was merely quoting one of my favorite movies "hey man, Im just a conscientious objector' (big lebowski) and not trying to sound any smarter than I am by unitentionally misusing common phrases. Although these few sentences may create an idiotic reply from your end, I will plow forth anyway: dont open your mouth or your internet browser until you are absolutely certain that arent going to look like a choad, which you do. never assume that you can wantonly, anonymously talk trash on the internet because soon it will catch up to you, ala lox, aka now-hiding-with-tail-between-legs after one too many of bvbs electronic beatdowns. you schmuck, nice attempt, gotta give you that. Wait, no I dont.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook