RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

beyond_gravity

Jan 7, 2002, 5:07 AM
Post #1 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

I've gotta cam jamed into the rock. Trying to get it out I ripped off the trigger and the sling, so only the head and the triger cables are still in the rock. How do i get this out? or is it even worth getting out? it stuck about 6 inchs in.

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 7, 2002, 6:16 AM
Post #2 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post

How did you rip off the sling ??? It should be rated for at least 2500 lbs.

The head and wires ??? Where's the stem ???

I thought you said you never Trad climbed before.

dustinap
Deleted

Jan 7, 2002, 7:01 AM
Post #3 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post

Jeesh man, ripped the sling off? This one of the cams made in 74 and was used in the valley as the original WC forged friend until '99 when it was dropped off the top of El Cap? Probably the orinal sling soaked in battery acid too, huh?

Good thing you didn't take a whipper on it! Since the trigger and cables are gone, it is hopeless, unless you can somehow use the stem and get the cam to walk out. If it is 6 inches in, you might be better off to let it be left alone.

Maybe Piton Pete will know a way to get it out, maybe PM him or something.

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 7, 2002, 7:15 AM
Post #4 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post

dust... I've been able to clean deep cams, left as booty, with a nut extraction tool to pull the trigger, while I push against the stem, then gingerly remove. Hard to do on lead though, unless you find a great hands free stem.

Hmmm.. That was a run on sentence, huh ???

rrrADAM

kagunkie

Jan 7, 2002, 7:25 AM
Post #5 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post

Get a long screwdriver and work the cams with that. Between the screwdriver and you'r nut tool you should be able to remove it. New triggers can be bought for it if its a wild country the others i dont know about for shure but their probably available. Good luck

greyghost

Jan 7, 2002, 7:27 AM
Post #6 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post

Even though you may not be able to use it again, maybe you should think about going back and trying to get it out just so people do not have to look at it for the next 20 years. Atleast booty you have the option of using it. Sounds like this is just an eye sore. And might be taking a good spot to put a pro.

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 7, 2002, 7:42 AM
Post #7 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post

Good point... Right now it's litter on the rock.

jsm280

Jan 7, 2002, 9:34 PM
Post #8 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post

I have 2 peices of stainless shim stock that I have used to aid in cam removal. Slide the shim stock on each side of the cam and then using a nut tool pull the trigger (also use needle nose pliers if the trigger is damaged or caught, I have a very long set)wires.... The shim will give a slick surface for the cam to slide on, just be careful not to cut yourself on the shimstock.

If the cam has seen enough abuse to be missing the sling and have trigger problems I would not trust it.

good luck.

help keep the rock clean.

beyond_gravity

Jan 7, 2002, 10:28 PM
Post #9 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post

I was using plyers to cleen it and I ripped the stem off (I twisted it) And it's not acculey my cam, I borrowed them

graniteboy

Jan 7, 2002, 11:24 PM
Post #10 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post

You can Always get a cam out. I've gotten more than a few cams which other people left "stuck" on bigwalls. I suggest you try wiggling the cams, one or 2 at a time, using 2 to 3 nuttools, while moving the cams toward the outside of the crack. If you can manage to get the cam lobes pressed against the nuttools instead of against the rock, it makes it easier to slip the cam out, a millimeter at a time.
It's all about patience. Most people will give up after 15 minutes. You might need an hour or more, but you can ALWAYS get a cam out. And with cams at 50$ or more apiece, that's an OK wage...unless you're a lawyer. By the way, where exactly IS this stuck cam??? What area, what climb, which pitch??

[ This Message was edited by: graniteboy on 2002-01-07 15:27 ]

dustinap
Deleted

Jan 8, 2002, 12:58 AM
Post #11 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post

Adam, I thought it was hopeless being 6 inches in and not having a trigger left on it.

Someone makes a device, I'm not sure who, called a,"Friend of a Friend." It works with the trigger of the cam to help get it out.

They work good I guess, but they must have a trigger on the cam to work. It seems to me like it'd work only with U stem or rigid friends though.

The single stem ones seem like they'd get to much play for it to work.

BTW, if the stem came off, you're screwed. You mean the trigger came off I think.

The stem is the part the cams attach to.

[ This Message was edited by: dustinap on 2002-01-07 17:00 ]

paintinhaler

Jan 8, 2002, 3:04 AM
Post #12 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post

smurfs will help trust me

joemor

Jan 12, 2002, 1:28 AM
Post #13 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post

sometimes if the crack is deep u can turn the cam around 180 degrees and just slide it out...... but if it were that easy i gues it wouldnt be stuck. oh yeah does the cams on it have holes in them whick u can fit a bent wire ect? they help heaps.

beyond_gravity

Jan 12, 2002, 6:55 PM
Post #14 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post

The cam is stuck on an artificail wall. The U of C climbing wall in Calgary. Ok OK Ok, I lied, it's not my cam. I spotted it when I was placing a nut. When I found it the steam was gone, then I busted the trigger off it when I was trying to get it out. So theres just a head with trigger wires in the crack. I dont know if it's even worth trying to get out, I cant spin it around because its Jammed in really tight and right at the back of the crack. I'm gonna try and wrap a sling around it then give it some funks, maybe that will work.

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 15, 2002, 9:01 AM
Post #15 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post

"When I found it the steam was gone, then I busted the trigger off it when I was trying to get it out."

You're still lying... If the stem was gone, the trigger would be gone with it fool.

Like I said in a post elswhere to you brutha... "you should be reading and learning, not reading and posting crap trying to get ppl to think you are knowledgeable."

BG... It's OK not to know the details of climbing when you are new. It's not OK to keep acting as if you do. You are cluttering the forums with poop.

Sincerely, and respectfully,
~Adam

beyond_gravity

Jan 16, 2002, 3:59 AM
Post #16 of 16 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Stuck Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post

No, i'm dead seriouse!! I have no clue how this happened, okey...i'll take a picture of it this week end! There is no steam, When I found it, there was the black trigger thingy only attached to one side of the cam. And thats the only thing touching the cam head, meaning there was no steam!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook