Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bouldering between SLC & Bozeman MT???
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

slcathena

May 21, 2003, 8:08 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1990 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering between SLC & Bozeman MT???  (North_America: United_States: Alabama: Northern: Sandrock__Cherokee_Rock_Village_: Sun_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Why, you ask, is this in the Idaho section? Because that is where most of the driving will be done. :wink:

Basically, I will be driving up through the South Eastern part of Idaho, through Yellowstone and to Big Sky (but would be able to go as far as Bozeman if there is something good out there) for a wedding, with some friends. We'd like to boulder a bit on the way, but don't know the area AT ALL.

Any suggestions? Resources?

Thanks.

brianinslc

May 21, 2003, 8:58 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1990 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bouldering between SLC & Bozeman MT??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Basically, I will be driving up through the South Eastern part of Idaho, through Yellowstone and to Big Sky (but would be able to go as far as Bozeman if there is something good out there) for a wedding, with some friends. We'd like to boulder a bit on the way, but don't know the area AT ALL.

"IF" there is something good out there? Har har...

Unless you want to get off the road a bit, I'd suggest bustin' to Pig Sty, I mean Big Sky then north to Gallatin Canyon. Plenty of rock there around the "towers". Some outstanding bouldering...I'll whisper a few locations...stonehenge, the grove (but access might still be funky)...

You're other bet is instead of swingin' up thru West Jellystone, take the split to Ennis. Once past Ennis and Norris, when you cross the Madison River, there's "Neat Rock" (west side of the river) with a bunch of good bouldering on either side of the river. Careful with rattlers, 'tis the season. Head back upstream toward Beartrap Canyon...nice... I'd mention Revenue Flats too, but...its a bit off the main road...

If you're just stayin' on I-15 to Butt, America (then I-90 to the Bozone Layer), then try the pass and/or Pipestone area. Also, before you get to Dillon, past Clark Canyon, right off the highway is Barretts with some bouldering across the footbridge from the nice picnic grounds. Good for a quick pump. Also some nice shorter climbs too.

There's a ton of stuff up there, but, I'm already in trouble for the beta spray, and need to run hide from the vigilante posse that's surely headin' my way...

Barrel Mountaineering in Bozeman might give out some info. Or "No Lights". You might try Dockins' Bozeman Rock guidebook. Or Bishop's Butte Rock.

Fun!

Brian in SLC

wyoclimber3

May 23, 2003, 9:04 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out the Pocatello area. haven't personally been there but I hear its pretty good. there should be a link on the Idaho section to an Idaho State University website with online topos. peace

wanlessrm

May 29, 2003, 7:59 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out city of rocks! I think its the best spot on your route.

brianinslc

May 29, 2003, 8:16 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Check out city of rocks! I think its the best spot on your route.

Three hours out of the way...

I do hear tell of a newer area 'round Squaw Creek...

Best be careful, or I'll end up in boot hill just like ol' Clubfoot George...

Pokey has to have something...after all, Pocotello Pump and all...

Brian in SLC

sidepull

May 29, 2003, 9:06 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My one afternoon in Pocatello provides this review.

Pocatello is only okay. It's great inner-city bouldering. However, most of the problems don't top out. The area is really a top-rope playground for locals. Boulderers have established problems that traverse the base of the routes or use the first few moves up to a ledge. The actual routes aren't that tall 35 - 40 feet, so you could highball/free solo. Avoid it during midday. The rock is dark basalt so it gets really hot fast. It's worth the stop but it's not a destination. You won't spend more than a few hours there.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook