Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Accident at Paradise Forks over Mem. weekend?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

steelmonkey

May 29, 2003, 8:52 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1621 views)
Shortcut

Accident at Paradise Forks over Mem. weekend?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Heard an Arizona climber named Ming Shih died from head injuries from a lead fall last weekend at the Forks. Anyone know more details? Curious what happened...

Thanks.
G.
:(

vanny37

May 29, 2003, 9:01 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1621 views)
Shortcut

Re: Accident at Paradise Forks over Mem. weekend? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32216

burz

May 29, 2003, 9:45 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me know if I am wrong but I think the intent of this post is to explore what caused the fall, ie. why did the pieces pull, etc. I think it is a good idea not to ask these questions on the same post that is expressing regret for the trajic loss of Ming....

epic_ed

May 29, 2003, 11:01 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Investigation of the accident is still under way. The second hand info I got from a friend of his is that he was climbing the 1st of the three yogies; had one piece in at 10 ft, one at 20 ft, and placed his 3rd piece at about 30 ft and weighted it to rest. That piece popped and so did the second piece. Ming had rope burn on his calf and the inside of one thigh indicating he probably got his foot hooked behind the rope and flipped him upside-down. He appearantly landed face first with considerable trauma. Greg -- talk with Jim Waugh if you get the chance. I think he has the gear from the accident and they are going to be going over it and likely heading back up to the Forks to see if they can piece together what went wrong.

Ed

steelmonkey

May 30, 2003, 4:12 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel very bad that this accident had to happen and I extend my condolences to the friends of the victim. It always sucks more than words can say when someone dies doing what we all love.

Having said that, my original post was looking for more detail about the accident. Aside from the curiosity angle, I think by sharing the details of things like this, we can all become safer and more knowledgeable climbers. If I had an accident like this, I would hope that people could learn from my mistake/misfortune and maybe have a long and happy climbing life.

For what it's worth...
The first time I ever led that route, I got a second piece in, climbed up, dorked around trying to place a third piece but couldn't get something I liked, so I just got rash and decided to climb through to the ledge above. I was fully in deck terrortory and my belayer was NOT happy about it. That route is notorious for slippery rock and difficult protection at the crux.

G.
p.s. Thanks for the info Ed. Appreciated.

crackaddict

May 30, 2003, 5:04 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If this helps any.
First of all I am not saying anything about Mings placements or making any speculation here.
This is from my own personal experience on this climb. Note also that it has been years since I have done this route as well.

But what I remember is that the pro on that first 30 feet of the 1rst Yogi is rather tricky. That and the rock is water polished and slick. I think I remember the crack flaring inward. This making it hard for any pro to hold.

I remember felling uneasy about my first 3 pieces on this route.
It was'nt till my 4th piece was placed that I started feeling good. I also remember the adreneline kicking and puching it to the top after I got some good pro in.
Hopefully Jim will be able to further help us understand what had happend after they are able to do some further investigating.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook